Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home made health??

Posted by issol 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 11:57

Hey guys. I'm just wondering what common and not so common herbs can be grown for home remidies. I'm looking for remidies for congestion and mucus, anxiety/depression, head aches, but would love favorite recipies from you guys as well. I am very interested in tried and true, of course. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home made health??

Well, my all time fave for decongestion is Mullein... it'll grow anywhere..specially if you never water it. A little difficult to dry in humid areas, but well worth it. I make a tea out of it and mix it with Nettle for my allergies. I don't have anxiety or depression, and the headaches are only sinus, so I don't grow anything for them, but I've heard good things about St. John's wort... and I know that lemon balm, which makes me sleep like a baby is a mild anti-depressant too.

o
RE: Home made health??

If you Google for something like 'herbal remedies headache' you'll get a zillion sites which mention herbs to treat the ailment, and recipes for remedies. The link below is just one of them.

If you're not allergic to aspirin, a good headache herb is meadowsweet. You could also think about feverfew, rosemary, thyme and many others.

Be very, very wary about growing or using St. John's Wort. It may be a declared noxious weed where you live, and it's a herb which should be used with extreme caution, and never with other herbs or medications. It interferes with just about everything and it has a range of its own side-effects. Google about that, too!

Sage is an excellent decongestant herb. So is mint, and rosemary. There are many others, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: ailments/herbal remedies

o
Mint

What about peppermint? Peppermint contains menthol, which (correct me if I'm wrong) other mints don't, though they work as flavoring. The menthol calms the stomach by reducing muscle spasms and might help with menstrual cramps. It may not be an anxiety treatment, per se, but is very soothing in teas and cool drinks, and is great before bed. There are dozens of "recipes" you can even make ahead and refrigerate to keep on hand.

Once you start a little, it pops up everywhere -- unlimited supply! Unless you want it to grow wild, try keeping it in a pot or sinking a large pot into the ground, to contain the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here