Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tresyd

Terrible Tea..

Tresyd
20 years ago

I was making some Dandelion tea in my Tea pot.. And it was the most bitter disgusting tea I've ever had. And it was with a new teapot too. Anybody have an idea why?

Comments (11)

• Tresyd
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I forgot to add, the tea pot is ceramic.

• kfgesq
    20 years ago

Because dandelions are bitter by nature. Try sauteing them in garlic and oil.

• The_Passenger
    20 years ago

Is it as bitter as horehound without the sugar? :o) BLECH!

• bushpoet
    20 years ago

Tresyd, could you try using less leaf & more water for a milder brew? And adding honey & peppermint might soften the taste enough for you to enjoy the deep down nutrition of dandelions, which are tastier in the fall (esp. after a frost or two) than in the spring.

Personally I've grown fond of them torn coarsely among milder greens in a salad w/vinagrette dressing.

~bushpoet

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

They are bitter ... the tiny new leaves are the least bitter.

• limhyl
    20 years ago

I mix the dandelion with other more palatable herbs such as lemon verbena, red raspberry and a generous amount of stevia to sweeten.

• Traute_Biogardener
    19 years ago

Never use a ceramic pot for herb tea. Use glass, e.g. Corningware or pyrex. Ceramic pots can only be used for black tea, and I wouldn't even use them for that. If they have a crack in the glaze, you can get serious metal poisoning which might not show up for years. I am a potter, and I know what ingredients are in pottery. I only use it for vases, not for eating.

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

i thought ceramics were made out of clay? maybe its from the glazes but if their that bad why do they have them for baking with? anyway now im curious.

• vixenmoon
    19 years ago

I do ceramics, and as long as the glaze is food-safe it should effect it. Now... if the didn't use a food safe glaze on a tea pot.. lol

i'm guessing it's just the herb (havn't tasted it before). I like using mint as a base... makes everything palatable.

• habitat_gardener
    19 years ago

Dandelion leaves are best used young, eaten rather than in tea, and mixed with other, milder greens.

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Dandelions taste awful duhh! :) Bad surprise huh? lol :) Use them in small quantities etc. I'll give you a recipe for my grandma's spring green pie (Italian) always eat at or around easter.... when I need dandelion (water retention detoxyfying etc.) I steep it with peppermint to make the flavor more palatable.... or just wait untill the tea cools and drink it down (nose held of course)...... many herbs teas are good for you.... many taste awful...... some like peppermint of course...... taste great!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions