Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gingko Biloba eaten fresh not dried

Posted by kevin_nsw NSW Aust (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 05 at 16:28

In my experience any herb eaten fresh works so much better than dried...in fact there are some herbs that I have taken that have no effect at all dried,then I have eaten them fresh and the differance is astounding!

So does anyone out there know about eating Ginko straight of the tree?

How this effects the tree etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gingko Biloba eaten fresh not dried

Some herbs are very unpleasant to eat fresh: stinging nettles & comfrey leaf come to mind.

I haven't eaten fresh gingko leaf or know anyone who recommends this. I have, however, eaten the roasted 'nuts' of the gingko tree. Wait until the fruit ripens & fall then smush off the dog-poo smelling flesh & take home the nuts & roast them in the oven.

~bushpoet

PS/ would be interested in hearing about your experience with herbs for brain damage that you mentioned in another post.

o

some herbs, especially culinary herbs are better DRIED... depending on the essential oil or medicine needed dries up with the water...

o

Hi Kevin,

I don't know about eating Ginkgo biloba leaves straight, I think a tea would be more enjoyable, however, the daily dose for leaves would be 4 grams fresh, and up to 8grams depending on quality (ie: the longer it has been stored in dried form, the greater the amount)

Recent clinical trials have used the equivalent of twice these amounts, so I have been conservative in my figures.

In traditional Chinese medicine the nuts of Ginkgo were widely used to treat asthma and polyuria (frequent urination).

John

o

I was told, back in the sixties, that gotu kola was better fresh. I took me twenty years to get a live plant due to import quarantines and seeds that weren't viable and it had to have light, humidity, soil just right.
Long story short I can't tell the difference between eating
fresh leaves verses dried. Like many herbs this doesn't give you a "buzz' but is felt over time so it's hard to say.
Ditto to the nettles/comfrey thing.

o

Yes! I have eaten fresh gingko biloba leaves right off my tree. They have a somewhat bitter flavor that was a bit of shock but not unpleasant once I was ready for it. I find putting the leaves into my morning coffee grind with the whole beans makes them almost undetectable in the coffee and really gives me a wonderful intellegent edge all day. But of course they are no longer fresh. The research shows you get the most benefit from leaves that are just turning golden in the fall, just before they fall off the tree. That's when I try to collect my supply for the year, from trees that have not been treated in any way. Now that I am eating daily fresh green salads, I should experiment adding fresh gingko leaves. Thanks for the reminder. I will be interested in learning if fresh gives you more benefit over dried. Hugs. Hope this helps.

o

I did read somewhere that some herbs have harmful substances in them that dissipate when the herbs are dried. Don't know if that would be applicable to Ginko or not. I planted a Ginko tree in my back garden last spring, so would be interested if anyone knows.

o

Eibren:

From my experience, fresh or dried ginkgo leaf will have the same affectiveness. However, a word of caution . . . Since it's a medium-strength herb, some toxicity can accumulate. After about 2 months, a person should get off the herb for awhile. Otherwise, it can accumulate and cause side effects such as dizziness, headache, fatigue, gastric or chest discomfort, loss of appetite, constipation or diarrhea. These side-effects are understandable when we look at the energies of the herb: Restoring, decongesting, relaxing, raising, diluting, astringing. Recognizing these energies is the way Traditional Chinese Herbology looks at herbs.

Sorry for being so wordy.

Charlie
The Herbalist

o

Thanks, Charlie. I don't use it too often--so far, only if my toes start hurting. I theorized that it might help the blood flow and it seems to do so since my toes feel better within about a half hour of taking a caplet or two.

I enjoy your input and am glad you participate here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here