Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can rubbing alcohol 'go bad'?

Posted by thorspippi z9/s14 CA (Sac) (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 18:27

Don't know where to ask this. Figured you all might know. Even though it might not be an "herbalism" topic, per se?

Anyway. My bottle of it smells strange, somehow. Don't know if my hormones are going nuts (sometimes things smell strange to me when I'm approaching PMS) or if it really has a strange odor. There's no expiration date on the bottle so I don't know how old it is.

Normally, I only use it when changing an infusion set for my insulin pump. But because of posts I found on this forum regarding flea bites (we're massively infested right now--3 cats and a big dog--and are pretty much swimming in chemicals, much to my displeasure, but DH is going bonkers), I thought I'd try it for the itching.

I dunno, maybe all the chemicals are getting to me, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can rubbing alcohol 'go bad'?

Well, I am no expert, I thought that the only thing that could happen to alcohol was if the alcohol evaporated, in which time I guess that buggies could take over.

o

if it doesn't smell like REAAAAALLLLY hard vodka and totally foul, the alc. has evapd and whats left is h20 contaminated with nasties, plus the bottle is clear so just look for algae or foreign particles as good rubbing alc. is 100% sterile. it has happened to me before and just today i was wondering why in the world the store doesn't seal up the caps with foil like some do.. though i still use 1 bottle with a pull up squirt cap from at latest the early 80s and use it from time to time while the store brand from the 90s was chucked a couple years ago.
and remember, "waft".. never stick your nose into any noxious chemicals or solvents.

o

ahhhh. Good point!

And thanks for the reminder. I did indeed stick my nose in the bottle. (thwaps self on head)

o

If the bottle is made of plastic instead of glass, the plastic will in time give off fumes which are toxic. It also will allow evaporation. Glass doesn't.

o

ahhhhhh. That could very well be! blech.

o

glass and gardening don't mix.
if you are a smoker don't use any glass containers for flammable (in this case highly) flammable and combustable liquids.
i smoke cigarettes and would never risk dropping a bottle and having the fumes linger in the garage/shed/basement

o

oh don't worry, I won't transfer it to glass. I'll just buy a new one. This one's possibly old--no date on it.

o

70%=79cents at the 99cent store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here