Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alina_jette

Help with Hormones?

Alina_Jette
19 years ago

Hi, I am a newbie, and hopefully some of you can help me out. I have a condition in which my body doesn't regularly produce the hormone Progesterone. I have to take birth control pills inorder to regulate that hormone. In reading one of my herbals I came across Angus Castus otherwise known as Chasteberry, and it says that this plant helps with the production of progesterone. As well as being used for alot of the symptoms that I have when I am off the birth control pills such as, heavy bleeding, irregular cycles and mood swings that come from hormonal imbalance. Unfortuantly I really do not have that much information on this plant in my other books, and my searches online haven't been too helpful with my specific needs. So I was wondering if any of you know about the plant and it's effects and best way to take it. Or, if you have any information on other plants with simlar effects.

Comments (8)

• esoterica
    19 years ago

many problems resolve themselves when you stop eating meats and dairy from mammals.

Unless it's home grown and they est like they are designed to.

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

My herbals say that it "normalizes" functions... but I don't know if that means that if your body doesn't produce enough, if it can get your body to produce it...
    I am currently taking and over the counter progesterone cream, made from wild yams called Meno-cream... and I like it because I can self dose... in fact, I take 1/2 the recommended amount, due to my sensitivity to progesterone. But it helps most of my menopausal symptoms...

• mayura97
    19 years ago

Umm, progestrone, normally produced after the menstrual cycle to stimulate the reproduction of the eggs. I think that it is quite feasible to take some emmenagogue (those plants that stimulates period) and see the effect. But this is only my view and I hope you should consider seeing a certified practioner in any manner, including homeopaths, orthodox doctors, and of course, herbalist.

• johnyb
    19 years ago

Using an herbal emmenagogue in menopause with the aim of stimulating the return of the menstrual cycle, as suggested by mayura97 above, is contradictory to naturopathic principles of menopause treatment.

Menopause is not a disease to be corrected, rather a stage of life to be managed, and if the cream you take in small doses eases your symptoms, makes this stage easier, and you feel comfortable with that, then I'd say stick with it.

John

• Alina_Jette
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I am currently under the care of a doctor, he is the one that has me on the birth control pills. But you are right Henri I should find a herbalist in my area. The reason I have avoided emmenagogue plants however, is because I don't have a problem getting my period.....the lack of progesterone actually prevents my cycle from ending. So before I got on the birth control pills, I would actually bleed for months (sorry to be so graphic ) The herbal I have calls it a hormone regulator, not an emmenagogue, which is why I got so excited about it. Like Heathen1 says, it says it can regulate the hormones. But to clear up any possible confusion, I am only 26, and my condition has nothing to do with Menopause.

• mayura97
    19 years ago

Sounds okay, I don't know much about herbalism though, just here to express my view. Thanks for correcting me ;)God Bless you in your endeavour!

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

John...John... John.... I can tell that YOU aren't menopausing! You tell that to a woman who is moodswinging and I hope you come out of that alive! :oD "A stage of life to be managed" Yeah, like after death a trip to hell is a stage of life to be managed! :oD

• kfgesq
    19 years ago

John is correct, menopause is NOT a disease but rather a life stage that has to be managed. While it can be very intense and crazy that does NOT make it a disease. I went through a terrible menopause and still have some of the residuals but one has to deal with it realistically, it is natural. Something to be recognized and dealt with on a different level than a disease level. Don't fight it, it does not go away deal with it with herbal and homeopathic remedies but recognoze that it is the norm not abnormal.

Sponsored
More Discussions