Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anja_zone5

Bad Dandruff

Anja_zone5
20 years ago

My sister has had awful dandruff for years and has used all the shampoos out there. She feels like it is now spreading down her hairline to the skin on her face. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thank you*

Comments (17)

• The_Passenger
    20 years ago

Is it a fungus? sometimes funguses can mimic dandruff...or just cause it...

• Anja_zone5
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I am not really sure...she seems to think it is a fungus...but when I look at her pillow, it seems just like (ALOT) of dried flakes...

• The_Passenger
    20 years ago

I'd try washing with vinegar which will change the ph...if that doesn't work or help, I'd try shampoo with Selenium Sulfide...if that doesn't work, I'd go to the doc...it might be the sign of something a bit more serious.

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

It could well be psoriasis. Definitely a case for professional diagnosis. Meantime, don't use ordinary shampoos. Try instead a medicated shampoo based on coal-tar (yes, coal-tar) which is an excellent treatment for a variety of skin problems - my own doctor uses this himself, and I've also found it excellent. I often use it instead of both shampoo and soap. And instead of soap, try Aqueous Cream or Sorbeline or other similar product recommended by the doctor or chemist.

Herb vinegars with rosemary or chamomile may help. But I would also look at massaging the scalp frequently, especially with the herbal vinegars, or even a tea made with rosemary or chamomile. Olive oil is often recommended for dandruff, cradle cap etc. You could try that, too. But off to the doctor ASAP!

• Hapslappy
    19 years ago

http://aztec.asu.edu/iaha/articles/Tea_Tree_Article/tea_tree_article.html***copy & paste - this is a good article that might be helpful

• bushpoet
    19 years ago

Essential fatty acids help many skin conditions, Anja. Perhaps your sister could try adding some of these 'good' fats to her diet:

~cold-pressed flaxseed, pumpkin seed, coconut, or borage seed oil
    ~unrefined or semi-refined sesame seed oil
    ~walnut oil
    ~evening primrose oil
    ~fish oils
    ~lecithin

One to three tablespoons a day might do the trick. I blend some flax & lecithin into my morning smoothie; use walnut or flax oil to make my lunchtime salad dressing; and toss my dinner veggies in sesame or coconut oil & herbs.

Topically, I agree with trying tea tree oil, or rosemary essential oil or grapefruit seed extract added to mild shampoo.

Good luck,
    ~bushpoet

• Jamesge
    19 years ago

Go see a doctor.

• ellanadasdy
    19 years ago

if the condition is spreading to the neck and face it is not dandruff, it is either psoriasis or eczema. as i suffer from both, i am in an excellent state to advise, unfortunately :) get it checked by a doctor, herbal treatments are as follows... if its psoriasis, the cause is excessive production of skin keratinocyctes which fail to mature into normal keratin, , try an infusion of cleavers, yellow dock, figwort or redclover each day, also a decoction of bittersweet is effective, these herbs are cleansing, diuretic, anti inflammatory and astringent,if its eczema, try evening primrose capsules, stellaria ointment, a burdock decoction or nettle and heartsease tincture may help... if you would like to know how to prepare these yourself you can mail me,
    good luck...
    ella nadasdy :)

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Good cures for dandruff and psoriasis are tea tree oil and tar and Jojoba oil and evening primrose oil and borage oil (externally). There is a soap called grandpa's pine tar soap that you can buy online (or in health store?) that is useful for dandruff and (I think) psoriasis...... or if you want unatural good old head and shoulders always works.
    as aforementioned apple cider vinegar is always good as a hair rinse, rosemary and lavender and horsetail are also useful hair herbs

• Jadxia
    19 years ago

Actually, it's fairly common for dandruff to spread to the eyebrows and sides of the scalp. That does mean it's pretty bad however. Head and Shoulders often does work, so does a few drops of olive oil rubbed into the scalp and left to soak before washing with a very gentle shampoo.

• dealsninfo
    14 years ago

Do not use Shampoo for dandruff... shampoo give temporary relief, use home remedies only.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Remedies for Dandruff

• simplemary
    14 years ago

Sage tea is wonderful for relieving dandruff. Just brew leaves & use to rinse hair. Do this regularly for a few weeks.

Natural soaps which do not strip the oils from hair or scalp can be affective, too. Look for "shampoo bars" made with coconut & castor oils, as opposed to olive & palm oils.

• kokes
    13 years ago

By far the best thing I discovered against dandruff is using no shampoo at all. I just wash my hair with plain water, lay down and wait for my cats until they finish licking my scalp clean and shiny. They sometimes do it without a shower if they feel like it. There is no odor I can notice from my pillow. It is cats' instinct to clean each others heads and they do an excellent job of it. I haven't used any shampoo for over six months now and my hair is in the best state I can remember, no dandruff at all (I had "suffered" it for 30 years).

• flip12
    13 years ago

When I take aspirin my scalp always seems to flake.

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

"I just wash my hair with plain water, lay down and wait for my cats until they finish licking my scalp clean and shiny."

Maybe you should be limiting your salt intake? :)

• normanoz45_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I used this Nizoral stuff with some success - http://nizoral2shampoo.blogspot.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Nizoral 2 Shampoo

• James7
    10 years ago

I'd try washing with vinegar which will change the ph...if that doesn't work or help, I'd try shampoo with Selenium Sulfide...if that doesn't work, I'd go to the doc...it might be the sign of something a bit more serious.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To get Rid Of Dandruff

Sponsored
More Discussions