Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesweikart

Sage

jamesweikart
17 years ago

HI ALL! I've been looking for information on buying seeds for sage. The sage i'm looking for is the type native americans use(d) for cleansing/purifying themselves/others/possessions from negative energies and/or evil entities. I've been searching and searching but to no avail. Does anyone know EXACTLY what type of sage i need?

I'd like to grow this around my home so I dont have to keep buying this at the market :(

Comments (14)

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

You want Salvia apiana. It is very easily grown from seed. In colder climates (like mine), it is grown as an annual, as it won't survive harsh winters. I get enough for several smudge bundles though. Good luck!

• rusty_blackhaw
    17 years ago

The type of sage (or similar herbs) used probably depends on which tribe of native Americans you're researching, as native sage species will vary based on location (there are numerous varieties in California alone).

• lazy_gardens
    17 years ago

Which "native americans"?

• jamesweikart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lazy: cherokee and apache tribes were/are the natives referred to.

Daisy: I'd love to share my knowledge with you, but you'd be greatly disappointed for I'm a massotherapist trying to cleanse myself/space/clients of evil spirits and negative energies.

Betty: thank you for the genus. there are many types to choose from. I'll enjoy the rewards of researching this particular kind.

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

james, after the smudging to drive out negative energy, make sure you then smudge to bring in good energy. Sweetgrass or lavender work nicely. Also, if any of your clients can't abide smoke due to asthma or other problems, you might look for a white sage room spritz. All the smell of white sage without the smoke.

• jamesweikart
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wow! you guys are GREAT! have helped me out tremendously and I greatly appreciate it. I am going to try a few different sage plants and feel which is more effective. if anyone may think of anything else later in time, feel free to post or email me personally. Thanks again!

• lilamy
    17 years ago

white sage and sweetgrass work best at energy clearing... you might also try to keep some prehnite on hand...it works great for protecting your own person and your space. :)

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

The sages used by Native American are the Artemisia family or sagebrush, not salvia

From The Sweetgrass Gardens website (http://sweetgrassgardens.com/)

PRAIRIE SAGE, Artemisia ludoviciana
    This non edible plant has very fragrant foliage that is light green/silver in colour. Western natives, especially the Shoshone and Paiute used the leaves as a wash for sores and rashes. Peji'ho'ta ape'blaskaska is the Lakota name that means grey herb with a flat leaf. Ojibwa also used this herb as a horse medicine. Dried sage is also used by Natives for smudging and ceremonial purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetgrass Gardens

• rusty_blackhaw
    17 years ago

My understanding is that "sages" used by Native Americans involved plants of the genus Salvia as well as Artemisia.

These included Salvia lyrata ("cancerweed") which was utilized among other things to treat wounds, S. apiana (white sage) and chia (S. columbariae).

• joelke
    17 years ago

After your cleansing, try acorns or oak leaves, oak bark etc for protection. The oak tree is the best protection I know of. Keeping anything that has fell off (by itself) in the home will rid you of any evil and protect from any entering. I even burn some leaves and/or a few fallen twigs in a fire. Nice if you have a fireplace but not necessary.

• eibren
    14 years ago

The same claims are made about Sage helping longevity that you run into for Lemon. There must be principles in this plant that are quite helpful--I wonder what they are?

I have occasionally had Sage tea...may have to try it again.

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

This thread is indeed quite long-lived.

• simplemary
    14 years ago

Hi! In ceremonies, we've used white sage to clear negative energy and sweetgrass to encourage/invite positive energy. -- e.g. we burn sage first then sweetgrass. Both are also wonderful for "refreshing" dreamcatchers (cleansing them of caught dreams).

Chia is an extremely healthy, energizing seed that can be eaten raw by the (small) handful or incorporated in breads, added to salads, etc. Can be grown as an outdoor annual at least as far north as Z6. It's the Chia in Chia Pets. Bulk by the pound, it's cheap.

BTW, frankincense is also a great for clearing negative energy, hence its long life in the RC church. Very smokey resin burned on incense charcoal; I prefer the essential oil in a diffuser. Or, try putting a couple of drops essential oil in your rinse water when washing floors. The difference in the air is very noticible afterwards.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler
More Discussions