Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenkitteh

Care package for a soldier

gardenkitteh
16 years ago

A friend of mine is going to Iraq in a few months. He usually comes to my house for tea and soup when he is sick and it isn't serious enough for a doctor. I won't be able to take care of him where he is going, but I want to send a care-package with him. None of the herbs can be narcotic, of course (no poppy seed), but I want to send him with a little bit of home.

I figured you guys could help.

So far I have a lavender/catnip/chamomile tea for relaxing. I have zinc lozenges for colds. I have mint/orange and lemon peel/ clove/ cinnamon/slippery elm tea for sore throats.

I'd like something topical that can be applied to cuts and scrapes, hopefully in powder form. I'd like something that might help a tiny bit for clotting and disinfecting. I need something to either prevent or cure athlete's foot. I'd like to give him things for day to day problems. I doubt he'd have time for herbal medicine if he's seriously injured, after all.

Any suggestions?

I have family members who were stationed in Iraq. They think that he shouldn't have too much of a problem laying hands on hot water. Tinctures would be problematic unless made with glycerin, I'm thinking. It does need to be small and light-weight. Dried herbs and a tea ball, or stuff that can be applied topically are ideal.

Comments (6)

• birdboyhg
    16 years ago

I don't know about liquids, but a small bottle of melaleuca (tea tree) oil has great topical antibacterial(wounds) and antifungal(athletes foot) properties.

• lucy
    16 years ago

I doubt that herbs, dry or otherwise will be allowed into the country. Any organic food or agriculture products are usually not permitted in most countries as they may compromise local plants or introduce insects. I know your herbs are highly unlikely to do that, but the customs people have regs to go by and don't differentiate between a sealed jar of jam (for instance) and a plant you just pulled from the woods and carry in a plastic bag over the border. Both are no-no's in most places.

• gardenkitteh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When my older sister was there, she had teas that she brought over. I've looked on the list of permitable things,and no where does it say dead, dried herbs are NOT permitted. . . .

Is it wrong to hope he won't get his bag checked?

I mean, I've had success sending dried seeds to Pakistan in the mail.

• cacye
    16 years ago

I haven't gotten to try this, but from what I read, yarrow is the best for closing wounds. The Romans, Mongols, and North American Indians all used it to close real bleeding wounds. Supposedly from arrow, spear, and sword. It is supposed to be fast, clean out the wound before you use it. Do you think he would be willing to try this or no? If so, I will look up the proper form(s) to use it in. The best antibiotic herbs for bacterial infections I have used are in huang lien; berberine is the main constituent. Goldenseal is our equivalent, or Oregon grape root.

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

Yarrow is excellent for stopping bleeding of small cuts. For athlete's foot, a powder of baking soda, arrowroot, and a few drops of tea tree and lavender works pretty good. I make that for my nephews who get terrible stinky feet. Oregon grape root powder sprinkled in helps too. He'll want a few lip balms as well. Peppermint and rosemary tea will help feel cooling and alert. Eucalyptus is good for staying alert and inhaling the steam of an infusion helps clear up a clogged nose. Passion flower and CA poppy (this isn't the narcotic poppy) makes a very good anti-anxiety tea. Also, check into those neck thingies that are made with the crystals you put into potting soil to conserve water. It's basically a fabric tube stuffed with them. Dunk them in cold water and then drape around your neck. My DH was in the first Gulf war, I wish your friend well-being and safety and a quick resolution to this war!

• gardenkitteh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much Herbal Betty. You've really helped me with this.

I just found out another of my guys is going to Iraq, as well as one of my girls is getting stationed in Africa.

I've just ordered a LOT of those plant crystals. . .

Sponsored
More Discussions