Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is This Herbalism???

Posted by LimoWreck 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 9:49

Hi..

Sorry in advance for a stupid question.

My friend has had a dream of growing plants to make botanical shampoos and moisturizers since she saw the movie "Practical Magic".

She has been looking up schools for a long time using the term "herbalism". She can only seem to find schools that focus on the medicinal nature of plants. I can see the connection, but she can't.

Is herbalism the right name for this? Would it require a degree of some kind for her to sell anything she created? Would she need a license?

I really appreciate any responses.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is This Herbalism???

There's a connection if the product(s) have any benefit in moisturizing skin or making hair look better. It's doubtful whether more than a small fraction of the commercial products on the market really do anything except make the buyer feel like they are using a "natural" product.

No degree is mandated to do this (experience or training would be a good idea). Other requirements should be the same as for any other small business (i.e. re taxes, withholding etc.).

o

THANK YOU ERIC!!!

o

She will need to check on the local laws in her country, state and city. There may be requirments around making cosmetic products and what ingredients are allowed, this would apply whether plants were in them or not.

If she makes a claim that her products can change body function or treat disease, there will likely be much more strict regulation than if she only claims that they will make hair smell and look nice.

o

I make my own soaps and lotions... it is fairly easy, though, making soap is a little high on the overhead... if you make the GOOD stuff with shea butter and such. She'd better hurry up, the market is getting glutted with soap crafters. I wouldn't promise her riches with her dream....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here