Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

Macular Degneration

jll0306
11 years ago

I see many products now add"Super Zeaxanthin", (meso-zeaxanthin), to their Lutein and Zeaxanthin. I looked for research on it, and could find very little, but I have a (totally unsupported) feeling that might turn out to be one of those 'too much of a good thing" is dangerous supplements, either because of its side effects, or its production process..

Does anyone have any inputs/thoughts about this, SPECIFICALLY? Before we go all OT again, yes I acknowledge the whole eat right thing. That's why I study and why I grow my own vegetables, So let's not go there, okay?

TIA
Jan

Comments (9)

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

"Before we go all OT again, yes I acknowledge the whole eat right thing."

I believe that's they key, what you eat, drink,breath and put on your skin... I would focus on that, instead of buying supplements.. I just live a healthy lifestyle and I personly don't waste my money on supplements..

Joe

• jll0306
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We know, Joe. We hear you. Every time you say so. On evey forum.

Jan, smiling.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Jan:

Instead of taking a supplement of zeoxanthan, lutein, etc.. I would much rather eat a whole food,that you could grow yourself - marigold flowers for example..

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Jan:

Instead of taking a supplement of zeoxanthan, lutein, etc.. I would much rather eat a whole food,that you could grow yourself - marigold flowers for example..

• kaliaman
    11 years ago

i don't have personal experience with this but can relate what i've seen in two clients clinically...lutein combined with flavonoids and other anti oxidants was helpful in this limited number of clients with mac degeneration. and in one family member, my dad, who is an elder with fading vision.... to his delight his eyesight has improved over the past year using planetary formula's bilberry complex (which is lutein, herbs, anti oxidants).

hope this helps, kali

• jll0306
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kalia. Mom has been given something similar, and according to what I have read, others have found it improves their vision also. This is a near miracle to me, since it wasn't so long ago that MD was considered irreversible.

The reason I'm schitzy about the SuperZ because I read on a different forum of a couple who were taking it in single supplement form, and felt that it not only made them see better, it made them look better. However they each developed severe medical problems within a couple of months. I have no reason to believe that the SuperZ was the culprit, but I have no assurance that it wasn't, either.

And I have to say that I'm glad to see that not EVERY topic on this forum has to be contentious!

Jan

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

It looks like a study of related antioxidants for possible prevention of macular degeneration is ongoing. And one newly published result appears encouraging (though the abstract doesn't discuss whether vision improved or people had less risk of going on to severe vision loss).

What's difficult is to determine from studies like this, even if they're positive, is whether X Corporation's supplement product is well-made and contains enough of the active ingredient so that one could expect similar results to those seen in the clinical trial. Given that testing of other supplements has shown wide variation in presence of active ingredients (and regulation of the industry in this regard is poor), it's a critical factor to assess.

• kaliaman
    11 years ago

jll,

please feel confident using planetary formula brand products...the formulator is an elder leader of the herbal movement...a doctor and master herbalist with decades of experience; the fellow overseeing the actual manufacture is roy upton, THE expert on good manufacturing practices of herbs and supplements. he's the guy working closely with congress, the fda and industry leaders to promote excellence and quality in herbal medicine. he is the spokesman for professional herbalists in north america on this GMP issue as well. embracing high standards, if its GMP certified you're onto something good. hope this helps, kali

• HerbDoctor
    11 years ago

From your description, he sounds almost . . . god-like.

HerbDoctor

Sponsored
More Discussions