Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texfinn

insect repellent and relief

texfinn
20 years ago

Does anyone have a good insect repellent recipe to share? My 3 yr old and I get eaten up by mosquitos and fleas every summer. Also, I've heard that chickweed salve is good for itch relief. I live in Austin, Tx and was wondering if the chickweed I have in my yard is stella media. Does it have to be stella media to work? Does anyone know if there are any adverse reactions to chickweed (external and internal -just in case)?

Comments (6)

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

PERSONAL INSECT REPELLENT:
    400ml almond oil
    large handful crushed lavender flowers
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Put all ingredients into a screw-top jar and shake vigorously. Leave on a sunny windowsill for about 2 weeks, shaking the jar every day. Rub onto skin with cottonwool.
    OR
    Pour 1 litre boiling water over a handful of sage sprigs and 3 mint sprigs. Allow to cool. Strain out the herbs, add 1 litre rubbing alcohol. Splash or spray onto hair, skin and clothing. Repeat after swimming or if perspiring heavily.

A lot of herbs and kitchen items will soothe insect bites, including lemon balm, calendula petals, a used tea bag, the inside of a banana skin, lavender oil, cider vinegar, a paste of bicarbonate of soda, aloe vera gel, celery juice, parsley, raw potato to name a few. Chickweed is very effective, but don't what you have in the garden (and certainly don't eat it!) unless you are 110% it is chickweed. I do not know of any adverse reactions from chickweed, but individuals react to different things in any ways, so be aware, as you would be with any herb. Chickweed is a very useful herb, but I don't advise giving medicinal doses of it to a child, though a small amount tossed into a salad won't hurt.

• Traute_Biogardener
    20 years ago

Best remedy for any poison, from the North American Indians is wet clay. Keep it wet with Seran Wrap. Easier relief which you can carry on you at all times is natural vitamin A capsules or capsules of vitamin A+D. Squeeze onto sting directly. Vitamin E is not quite as effective but also works.

Trea tree oil isn't bad either.

• andy_sa
    20 years ago

I mix my own repellent from lavender/sage/rosemary oils, but anything smelly and herbal will do. I use 30 drops per 100ml of liquid. You'll need something to dissolve the oil, either solublizer or alcohol, then make the rest up with filtered water. This doesn't last long, and needs reapplying regularly.
    One thing, avoid herbs that may relax you if you're driving, etc. (clary, vetiver, even lavender for some people).
    For the actual bites, I use lavender oil, or aloe vera. Some people find raw onion effective.

• kfgesq
    20 years ago

The absolute BESt thing I have ever bought for mosquito repellent is called mosquito contro. It is a little battery powered device that repels mosquitos. Here is how: Only female mosquitos bite; they hate two things; male mosquitos (lol) and dragon flies. This device emits a sound of both and is probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I have not had a mosquito bite in years! You can put thr name in the web browser and get several sites where you can buy it. Not expensive...great thinking!

• vmperkins
    20 years ago

Taking garlic oil caps can work.

• Traute_Biogardener
    19 years ago

Now would be a good time of the year to start preparing your body so you won't get attacked by mosquitoes at all next year. If you haven't already got my remedy, contact me, and I will send you the write-up. No, I am not selling anything. I am merely sharing how I got free of mosquitoes and other pests for life.

Sponsored
More Discussions