Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thorny question

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 18:44

I have a lot of blackberry vines and rose bushes in my yard and seem inevitably to get thorns going through my gloves into my hands. I try to look for them and get them all but I've discovered recently I've been missing a few. I noticed a small grey area down under my skin and dug around in there and found a small thorn tip WAY down there. My skin seems very tough over the buried thorn and not easy to rip through with a needle like one on the surface. I have to apply sideways pressure to even get the thorn to move up enough to snag with a needle, and it is very difficult to do this on one hand since both operations need to be done by the other hand at the same time, if you grasp my meaning.

Anyway, the question is, is there any health hazard to just leaving the tiny buried thorn? I know that in one or two cases it caused a thickened bump over the thorn but these latest cases do not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thorny question

Been there 100%! Well, ok, almost. I wasn't using gloves! But I ended up having a piece of a blackberry thorn lodged in deep - by the time I realized it was there it was completely healed over and the surrounding tissue made a little lump or cyst around it. I had it for quite a number of years before it vanished. Blackberry isn't toxic and the thorn didn't seem to do me any harm. But if it worries you, seek advice from your Dr.

FataMorgana

o

I'm just torn between the pain of getting it out versus the non-pain but ? of leaving it in. I've done 4 of them so far, not fun. But they are not making bumps or cysts.

o

That's a tough question. I've read that rose thorns can cause some problems, so you may want to check with your doctor...just to make sure everything is okay. If they don't see a problem, then at least it's one less thing to worry about.

After wrestling with my climbing Cecile Brunner last fall, thornless roses are sounding better all the time :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here