Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franc_gw

does anyone garden/grow medical herbs

franc
19 years ago

Im taking about for their own personal use or maybe wild craft herbs.And maybe exchange seeds.

Comments (19)

• Herbite
    19 years ago

I grow a lot of medicinal herbs for personal use. My friends and family also appreciate the remedies grown in my garden, so it grows bigger every year to accomodate everyone's needs. I haven't updated my exchange list yet from last year, as it's still a little chilly to trade here in Wisconsin. (We just had a record snowfall a few weeks ago!) It's all melted now, and the daffodils are blooming, but most of my other plants are still too small to trade.

If there's anything in particular you're looking for, let me know. I have many more varieties than what are currently listed, since what's on my trade list is only what I had TONS of at the end of last year. It'll just be a while yet before all my plants are ready.

Some of the more oddball/harder to find plants I grow are Valerian, Angelica, Lemon Catnip, and Golden Hops. I'm interested in a few things you have. (My "wanted" list is still right.) Feel free to email me. If you're just concerned about getting ahold of the herb itself, and don't care if it's a dried harvest or a living plant, I could also probably help with that too.

• thorspippi
    19 years ago

This is my first year. Maybe some day I'll be good enough to trade with!

• franc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sounds good herbite I should be able to add things in a few weeks too we'll have to set up a trade.Ive also got a bunch of Mayapple and mayapple seeds soon as they are popping their heads up.If you want some tomato seeds I could send them now so you could get them started :)

thorspippi your good enough right now, maybe you could grow something that would help you with your medical condition.

• herbalbetty
    19 years ago

franc, I've got seeds of Bodegold chamomile, chervil, boneset, elecampane and some others. I have over 200 different kinds of herbs and always expanding. Love to grow herbs for their medicinal, culinary, crafting uses and just for their beauty.

• Herbalynn
    19 years ago

Howdy Frank! I grow herbs for medicine making (ie: St. Johns Wort, Echinacea, Coltsfoot, Prunella, Mullein, etc.) and wildcraft Plantian, Elderberry, Poke root, Dock...
    Gives me alot of pleasure and satisfation to make my own medicines (teas, tincture, salve, infused oil, vinegars, and cordials), and also like Herbalbetty I use herbs in cooking, crafts, etc,
    Unfortuneately, I don't have time or access to my seed shed this season...maybe in fall.
    Wishing you a prosperous and healthy spring! Lynn

• franc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I don't have too many herbs planted but am planning on this year.By the way Blood root always blooms early and theres tons of it if anyones interested in seeds of it I could pick some.
    http://ncnatural.com/wildflwr/blodroot.html

• Herbite
    19 years ago

Hello again franc,

I'd be more interested in bloodroot and mayapple seeds than tomato. The past few years I've been getting really good tomato starts at a local heirloom plant sale - nothing like the yellow and purple varieties!

In a few weeks, I could probably part with some coltsfoot plants if you need those. It's getting so warm here, but it's still too early to do much in the garden. Ack! I need more patience, hehe.

Say, have you tried posting your request on the plant exchange forum here? There's one for seeds too, and I've bumped into medicinal herb growers on both of those forums in the past. Just a thought. Happy spring everyone!

• thorspippi
    19 years ago

thorspippi your good enough right now,

errrrr.... uh.... Not until I actually manage to grow something that can be harvested! :-)

maybe you could grow something that would help you with your medical condition.

Always open to suggestions!

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

I grow LOADS of medicinal herbs, unfortunately, most that will grow in your zone don't like mine... I usually am willing to trade or send me postage, but Most of what you'd grow can't take my summers. :o(

• franc
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ive traded tomato seed and willow cuttings on the plant and seed exchange but Im the only person I know that wild crafts or is interested in medical herbs, stuff like that.My Grandfather used to hunt/grow ginseng and goldenseal in Ladysmith Wisc. but that was years ago.Anyways not very many people are interested in it, its just not a regular type of gardening experience waiting 5-6 years to grow a small root about the size of my pinky,so no I haven't met any medical herbalist on either of the exchanges.

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Franc I will have fennel seed later this year and perhaps (if the plant blooms and the seeds ripen) fresh angelica.... and nigella sativa..... I might also have some marshmallow left and will have spearmint and peppermint seeds later in the season... and I may have holy basil (later in the season) P.S. does anyone if holy basil dries well?
    I'll let you know when I get seeds :)

• vaherbmom
    18 years ago

franc, what do you use mayapples for? I would never need to *grow* them--the woods around my house are full of them.

All--I've never been too successful at growing herbs from seed. What is your advice? I know the soil needs to be nice and warm and moist.

Had a nice medicinal herb garden at my previous home (mostly transplants, *not* from seed!) but unfortunately had to leave most of it. : (

• franc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If you can I would go with transplants but sometimes seeds are the only option.

• arttulip
    18 years ago

I would like to get some Coltsfoot seeds.
    Can anybody send them to me?
    I will send you New Zealand seeds.

• elvinchic323
    18 years ago

What kind of herbs are most commonly used in medicine that you use?

• esoterica
    18 years ago

Franc, I've been searching for bloodroot on our property and was sad that I couldn't find any. New to this area...

Anyway, I'd just love some of your bloodroot seed. It's aboutt he only thing I've obsessed over for this year and havent' been able to locate some.

What would you take for a small supply of your seed?

You can email me with the details. I would be ever so greatful...

• fearghais
    18 years ago

I just moved one city away and unfortunately had to leave most of my herbs behind! It was like losing children! Anyway - I have enjoyed herbs for some time and have had many different varieties. I mainly use them for medicinal and metaphysical uses. In my lovely garden I had 3 varieties of lavender, hyssop, chamomile, sweet woodruff, mugwort, feverfew, yarrow, patchouli, 3 varieties of thyme, tarragon, lemon grass, citronella, catnip, jasmine, comfrey, germander, sage, rosemary, digitalis, cilantro, echinacea, parsley, bee balm, arulgula, chives, valerian, goldenseal, st. john's wort, basil, marjoram, black peppermist, spearmint, oregano. You can see why I miss it - all I have now are: lavender, comfrey, thyme, rosemary, basil, bee balm, echinacea, germander, and chives. I wish I had found this forum before I moved - I could have found some good homes for all my babies - all I can do is hope the new owner is appreciative of helpful plants...

• franc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok Esoterica I'll try. I haven't seen any flowers yet but the goldenseal just popped up.

• esoterica
    18 years ago

thanks Franc, let me know, maybe I have something you could use, or can find for you.