Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
medicinal uses for honey rose sage (salvia microphylla??

Posted by cenak z10CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 20:29

Does anyone know of any medicinal use for honey rose sage? It looks good in my garden, but I'm thinking of replacing it with something else unless there is some herbal use for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: medicinal uses for honey rose sage (salvia microphylla??

I do not know anything about honey rose sage, but the name sounds wonderful. Cooking sage is an excellent medicinal, almost a panacea. It is a soothing antiseptic, good for sore throats and other cold and flu symptoms. If I had some of this sage, I would begin drying some for later use. Then I would experiment with it to see if it does have any medicinal properties. I would probably start with a few fresh or dried leaves in a cup of hot water, to determine its taste, as it may taste good. Start with a small sip or two and wait a bit to see if it produces any adverse symptoms. If not, try some more. Soon you will be able to tell us what its properties are. Good health.
Jeanine

o

I am currently trying to find some honey rose sage for my kids' garden. I'm not sure about medicinal (although it probably has some typical sage properties, like being drying and good for colds and coughs,) but what we like about it, is the nectar at the base of the flower, when you pick it off the base, tastes divine!

Lauri

o

I was under the impression that only salvia officinalis was medicinal or edible. officinalis actually means medicinal.

o

There are a number of California native sages that are medicinal. Accoding to Michael Moore in one of his books, Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West is one, and there are 2 others, he says that any Ca native sage is medicinal if it has a strong fragrance. This includes Salvia apiana (white sage), S. munzii (San Diego Sage), S. mellifera (Black Sage), S. spathacea (Hummingbird Sage--probably the pretties flower of all of these--etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here