Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gringojay

Breathing

gringojay
15 years ago

15% of average USA life expectancy increase over past 25 years attributable to breathing cleaner air: Harvard School Public Heath research

Comments (11)

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Connection to herbalism?

Herbal air filters?

• gringojay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi eric,
    Less external influx in to the lungs is good for living longer.
    Cordyceps will act for smokers who are quitting to clear some of the inhaled substances by consolidated expectoration.
    Cordyceps in vial doseage is convenient for this purpose.
    For those located in polluted air the use of cordyceps may be of interest.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

What gringojay is referring to is popularly (?) known as Chinese caterpillar fungus or "winter worm" (the fungus grows on a type of high-altitude caterpillar; the marketing departments of supplement companies are probably hard at work on more appealing names).

This is one of those alternative remedies that is supposedly good at treating a wide range of problems, including low stamina, lung problems, kidney problems, sexual dysfunction, high cholesterol etc. etc. Clinical studies are limited, some of low quality, most apparently from China and most dealing with non-human research.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Cyclosporin is made from Cordyceps isn't it? I don't think they are all parasitic on caterpillars.

• gringojay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

40 years ago I stopped smoking, 27 years ago I relapsed for 2 years of smoking while working in Asia, & 2 months after I quit smoking the 2nd time I was given cordyceps liquid extract vials in China.
    Shortly into consumption of cordyceps I brought up a large amount of foreign matter from the lungs over a period of days, coinciding with cordyceps intake.
    I do not think it was the infamous Chinese air pollution because 25 years ago the bicycle was king of the road, most were still sporting Mao jackets & it was not summer. I remained breathing in China after I had stopped drinking cordyceps & coincidentally, the expectoration phased out.
    Granted a personal case, not a controlled scientific study & X-rays of my lungs still reveal my smoker's past.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

There are different cylosporins that are made by various fungi. I don't know about Cordyceps species in that regard. The big Cordyceps in Chinese traditional medicine grows on a caterpillar.

You'd think that would limit supply, but maybe it's a very prolific caterpillar.

• apollog
    15 years ago

In the wild, cordyceps grows on caterpillars - but most commercial cordyceps products are from mycelia cultivated on sterilized grain.

In the long run, most caterpillars can be as prolific as we like them to be ... the demand for silk has led to the domestication of silk-worm caterpillars and large scale operations to raise them.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

If you want to balance your Yin and Yang and achieve spiritual potency, you gots to have natural winter worm.

• apollog
    15 years ago

Stop spamming, eric! Every link to a page boosts it's ranking in the great Google Mind Device. Confess your financial interest in Beijing Caucams Co, Ltd and repent!!

Also, Reishi mushroom is recognized as the premier mushroom for spiritual potency - it's name is roughly translated as spiritual vegetable meat. Cordyceps is much more of this sphere - a good adaptogen or tonic for balancing yin and yang, but not so spiritual ...

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

There you go, toxifying our yin again.

I hereby nominate "Spiritual Vegetable Meat" as a great band name.

• gringojay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So belly solly elic,
    "Spiritual Vegetable Meat" registered trade mark in the Forbidden Kingdom; it is a meat product adulterated with homeopathic vegetables.

Sponsored
More Discussions