Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

ears

fairy_toadmother
18 years ago

not exactly herbalism, but sometimes herbs are included in ear candles/cones. does anyone know a reputable source, good quality, but not too expensive, no paraffin? i heard that not all cones are created equal.

Comments (26)

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

Ear candling is an ineffective treatment (whatever the ingredients) and occasionally causes burns.

• arttulip
    18 years ago

It is a good and proven method.
    I made an ear candle myself and used it when my daughter had an earache.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

From an audiologists' website:

The Claims Vs. The Truth

The major benefit touted for ear candles is that they can remove cerumen and other debris from deep within the ear canal through the way in which they burn. Supposedly there is a negative pressure, or spiral effect, created within the ear that draws cerumen and debris up and out of the ear.

DeMeo reports in the Skeptical Inquirer that there are two simple tests that disprove the claims made regarding ear candles, however.2 The first can be done by inserting a piece of weighted wax (preferably human) into a small test tube. The test tube is heated in a hot water bath to the human body temperature. An ear candle is placed into the test tube and is lit. The flame is extinguished when the candle has burned about half way. Examination of the test tube indicates no change to the wax inside...it is neither pulled up the test tube toward the candle, nor does it enter the candle.

When the end of the candle is torn open, one can observe residue inside. Internet Web sites claim that this residue is from the ear canal; however, the test described by DeMeo showed that the residue originates from the candle itself. This fact is proven by a second test, where the above procedure is done with an empty test tube. When the candle is cut open, the residue is still present, indicating that its origin is from the candle, not the wax....Research has confirmed that no negative pressure is created by a burning ear candle, so any source claiming or suggesting such a notion is false.

Along with the fact that ear candling does nothing to remove wax and debris, the procedure poses a significant danger to the participant. The one study that looked at the efficacy and safety of ear candling in a scientific way appears in Laryngoscope in l996. The authors conclude the following:

* Candling does not produce negative pressure in the outer ear canal.
    * The procedure removes no cerumen from the outer ear canal.
    * In a survey of 122 otolaryngologists, 30 complications were reported, including 13 burns of the auricle and outer ear canal, seven partial or complete occlusions of the ear canal with candle wax, one tympanic perforation, three cases of external otitis, and six cases of temporary hearing loss.
    * Analysis of the debris left from the candling showed a sample composed of multiple alkines, which are found in candle wax.4

The authors stated that candling is of "no proven benefit in the measurement of cerumen and may produce a number of complications that require conventional medical treatment."

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok, with all this said, will someone please explain to me why my ears stopped itching constantly after having my ears coned/candled. prior to this, they itched incessantly.

also, were these tests done using paraffin cones or beeswax? am i wrong, isn't beeswax a clean burning wax?

• kfgesq
    18 years ago

That was only Eric the self appointed know it all and his references to scare journal and the like maybe he can recommend "Quackwatch" again. Don't listen to him get the advice of a good ear candeler. I had mine done recently. It was great.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

There are many causes for itching, including minor irritations and infections that run their course and end. If the end of an inflammatory episode coincides with a particular treatment, it is tempting to conclude that the treatment solved the problem.
    Complaints that wax and wane on their own help generate business for "alternative" healers, who can produce lists of testimonials - though the people who've been burned (literally, as in the case of ear candling) or just financially are seldom cited.

Here's a website that discusses problems with ear wax and techniques for its removal, including home remedies that are both safe and effective. The author has a separate page that discusses candling and invites comment, so maybe kfesq's attempts at flaming could be directed there.

• thorspippi
    18 years ago

um..... referenced on that last link: butt-candling?!?

If that worked, it would be REALLY disgusting.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

My mother used to use warm oil... and I have heard that warm oil infused with mullein is very good for ear aches.

• kevin_nsw
    18 years ago

hey thorspippi,
    after what you said Ill make sure i wont burn my candles at both ends !

• thorspippi
    18 years ago

*groan*

• jujubean74
    18 years ago

Lol, interesting thread....

Anyway, I was taught to earcandle while going to school for massage therapy. Here is my personal belief about it. It doesn't pull anything out of the ear, and it does leave some debris in the ear. We had a lady in class that put the tip of an ear candle on her palm, instead of in her ear. When everyones candles burned down and we all cut them open, hers looked just the same as everyone elses. BUT, that being said- I still think it's awesome and very benificial.

I believe earcandling works on an energetic level. I think it pulls out conjested energy, allowing 'fresh' energy to be pulled in. You can literally feel the pulling sensation in your ear canal, into your sinus cavities. I have used earcandling to clear my sinuses, and others have claimed that effect as well. It also tends to be a calming, comforting experience- even though you have fire sticking out of your head!

Something else to try for ear/sinus issues- Laying on your side, fill the ear canal with hydrogen peroxide, and leave it in until it stops fizzing, or for 10 minutes. This is another thing I've found that really helps.

• kevin_nsw
    18 years ago

What sort of hydrogen peroxide strength are you talking about?

The food grade 100% strength needs to be watered down A LOT as a friend of mine had some and I spilt less than 1 drop on my skin and it burnt it leaving a nasty white stain on my skin that took a day to go away,even though I washed it of in less than a minute !

So unless its watered down i would not be putting something as corrosive as this in such a sensitive part of my body.

• jujubean74
    18 years ago

Sorry Kevin, I meant the 3% solution, like you buy at the store.

Do you know where your friend got their perioxide? I'd like to use it to keep my pool clean this summer, as an alternative to chlorine.

• kfgesq
    18 years ago

try vitaminshop.com lots of good products.

• kevin_nsw
    18 years ago

jujubean74,I didnt want to sound like i was jumping down your throat as my experience with hydrogen peroxide is 100%.

My friend got it from a naturopath in a small bottle and was told to dilute 10 drops in a glass of water.
    So I couldnt help you with the amount you will need for a pool.

• pcj42
    18 years ago

Eric wrote, "Ear candling is an ineffective treatment (whatever the ingredients) and occasionally causes burns."

Modern medicine is also sometimes ineffective.

Sorry, had to butt in here. Interesting forum.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

Now there's a convincing argument. ;)

As pcj42 apparently missed it, here's info that includes cheap, safe ways to deal with earwax buildup (which don't involve sticking lighted candles into one's ears).

• pcj42
    18 years ago

Eric--as someone else previously posted " Eric the self appointed know it all"---That IS a convincing argument.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

need i say more.

• tasymo
    15 years ago

The Doctor is tenacious! Hey Lucy, did I spell that right?

• lynnfrazer
    15 years ago

I happen to know from Experience that mullein oil Does work PERFECTLY for earaches and ear infections..my mother was having horrible earaches this winter..Nothing the doctor gave her worked..I had read about mullein oil and had access to alot of fresh dried mullein so i made her an oil and within 2-3 hours after using it her earaches were totally gone!
    My granddaughter who is a year and a half old had recurring ear infections..She was on antibiotics but after the 10 days of taking them she ended up with another ear infection a week later..mullein oil also worked for her and I believe took away the infection as she is now infection free and has been since the mullein oil..Awesome Herb!

• oakleif
    15 years ago

eric being told to butt out..... again. Do you get the feeling you are unappreciated here. There must be a medical forum you'd fit in with.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

This forum is for the discussion of herbalism, the use of herbs for medicinal purposes.

Herbalism is a kind of medicine. The use of herbs for medicinal purposes.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Herbalism does'nt include your western type medicine lil bren. You're getting repeatively dumb again. Please grow up.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

western medicine does include herbalism, an example of something herbalism does not include is ear candles.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions