Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs that Must Be Dried Prior to Use

Posted by eibren z6PA (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 1:18

Are there many that should ONLY be used after drying?

My preference, with teas, especially, is to simply gather the fresh leaves and brew my tea in just-boiling water in the microwave.

In reading up on Bittersweet (not to ever be used as a tea--I would only use for external application purposes!) I noticed the emphasis on use only after drying--apparently, some harmful principle dissipates during the drying process.

This led me to wonder what other herbs should never be used fresh.

Does anyone know? What does drying do to make some herbs safer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs that Must Be Dried Prior to Use

Eibren, plants which contain anthroquinones should be dried and aged before use. The oxidation which occurs during the aging process makes the laxative effect of the anthroquinones much milder. You can become seriously ill if the herb isn't aged properly. Horrible griping through significant peristaltic action. Some herbs which contain anthroquinones are senna, cascara, rhubarb root and the skin of the aloe plant. Some plants contain tannins, which can counterbalance the effects.

o

Wild ginger comes to mind.

o

Thanls, Herbalbetty and Rockguy.

I wonder if there are any other harmful substances that are
inactivated by drying?

:o/

o

Stinging nettle is used either cooked or dried.

FataMorgana

o

Just a note: "rhubarb root" should refer to Turkey rhubarb, not garden rhubarb. Different plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here