Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowboardbunny

Bee Balm

Snowboardbunny
12 years ago

Hi,

My name is Sharon and I'm new here and I am an aspiring herbalist. Is Bee Balm ok to take orally? I read at one place it was and at another it wasn't. I'm getting rather confused :/

Comments (11)

• rockguy
    12 years ago

You can't believe everything you read. Research it thru good sources. Beebalm is ok with me, but don't take my word for it.

• Snowboardbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone have good book recomendations for herbs?

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Books? Many. But what kind of information are you looking for? Growing, using, identifying, medicine making, etc.

On the topic of bee balm, it is generally a tea herb. I don't know of anyone that uses it in a mostly medicinal sense. Most I know use it more for flavor in a tea blend.

A suggestion, as you are an aspiring herbalist, learn the latin names and use them. There is no confusion with latin names. You know and other people know exactly which plant you are referring to. I've seen different Monarda species referred to as "bee balm" and so I offer this suggestion.

FataMorgana

• Snowboardbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

FataMorgana thank you. I am looking for books on Growing, Using, medicine making. Something all in one would be fabulous. Today I'm glad to say that I used herbs for the first time as a medicinal. My daugther had a headache and tummy ache. I gave her ground green tea and it rid her of it guickly. Amazing!

• mcfaroff
    12 years ago

Bunny,some of my favorite herb books are Deni Bown's Encyclopedia of herbs for identification and growing, and Prescription for Nutritional Healing by P Balch for using. I second fatamorgana's suggestion, learn the latin names. If you really get into this you will have 20 or more books, because no one book gives you all the information. Also, there are several on line courses that will give you more in depth information.
    Gloria

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Medicine making:
    The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook by James Green
    Making Plant Medicine by Richo Cech

Deni Brown one mentioned is nice for an all around one.

My favorite is:
    A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs of Eastern and Central North America by Steven Foster and James Duke

FataMorgana

• rockguy
    12 years ago

I don't have a hero. James Duke is name you will come to know of you're into medicinals.

• eibren
    12 years ago

There is a quite poisonous plant called Snakeroot which superficially looks quite similar to Bee Balm (Monarda), which could be the reason for any mention of it possibly being poisonous. If you grow your own, always check the fragrance to make certain it is still Bee Balm. Snakeroot has a totally different flower. Snakeroot easily colonizes cultivated ground.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

100% identification and knowing proper/correct usage is always a must before harvesting & using anything - veggies included.

FataMorgana

• rockguy
    12 years ago

LOl. Snakeroot! Many plants are called "snakeroot" locally, which why we use the 2-name system of scientific names. To which "snakeroot" are you referring?

• rockguy
    12 years ago

White "snakeroot" is an Ageratum species, Ageratina altissima, and has the heads of tiny flowers common to that group. Poisonous and if eaten by cows the milk will be poisonous too.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions