Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Panax Germination

Posted by madferret UK 8b-9a (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 5:57

I reently bought 30 seeds from ebay (yes I know...). And I'm struggling to get them to germinate.

The seeds themselves are dry, and Ive put about 6 seeds in an unheated propagator (with lid), but they've been there a month now and they don't look anything like germinating.

Is their a tried and tested method, or are these probably just bad seeds?

Any help much appreciated.
Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Panax Germination

I seem to recall that the North American Panax will take a long time (2'ish years or so) to germinate, if the seeds are not sown fresh and are allowed to dry out. Perhaps the asian species is similar.

FataMorgana

o

Thankyou, from trawling the net that seems to be the case, although their is little to no info on actual germination techniques other than where to plant outside.

Regards
Nick

o

Libraries and books are still wonderful sources of information. There are multiple on growing various herbs including medicinals.

FataMorgana

o

The seeds cannot dry out, ever. They will die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here