Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raptorfan

Am using these essential oils for scar

raptorfan
17 years ago

Hi, this is my first post, i've been using this website for years and just discovered this forum, which i'm quite happy about!

Last year my daughter received a 2nd degree burn which is now a large, raised scar on her abdomen. A skin graft was suggested at the time but since I had no guarantee it would take and the fact she had suffered enough, I declined. She was 3 at the time and I'm hoping time is on my side to try and diminish it. I have used Vitamin E oil, aloe vera and a silicone patch. I have also been giving her a dose of liquid Vitamin C in aid healing. I have turned to essential oils and feel hopeful that it will produce some results. Here's my current "mixture": a base of macadamia oil ( i read was good for healing & on children's skin. It absorbs nicely too) with:

lavendar

Geranium Egyptian

Helichrysum African

Frankincense

I was thinking i should add:

Carrotseed

Galbanum

Mandarin

Palmarosa

Yarrow

Any suggestions? Or comments on my selections? Sorry for the long email.

Comments (4)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Did you use the aloe when the scar was forming? That's Aloe's main function, to help healing and preventing of scar tissue during formation. I am a person who forms keloid scars, so I am rather hopeless about it. My sister sat on a heater at that age and burned her fanny, and the scars lasted 10 years...then *poof*... but then I have seen a friends scars from when she was 4. I think your idea was best, I think scarring is better than skin grafting which kind of creeps me out. Then, she'd have 2 scars. I'd keep up what you are doing. I looked everything up, looks like a good combo. Also, you might try rice bran oil... it has natural sunscreen properties, and you want to keep the sun off it for a couple of years, or it will turn dark and never match with the other skin.

• raptorfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, While the scar was forming I was using a prescription cream ( i think had silver in it?) because of infection. Once the wound was not open anymore, I started on the aloe, silicon strip and now the essential oils. Should I keep my current formula or add the others too? And yes you're right, he told me she would have two scars, the other being on her leg. Hopefully she'll keep her lower abdomen covered :) but I don't think when she's older, that a leg scar would be appreciated as well.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

I think the best thing you can do for her is to teach her to have confidence in herself... that the scar doesn't change that she's a beautiful person. Surface beauty that can be marred by a scar is not true beauty. Beauty fades and personality is with you for life. If she lets that scar ruin her life... what a loss!

• raptorfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sorry, don't misunderstand me when i say keep herself covered..i meant it as a joke that as parents we don't want her (as a teenager) showing skin, ie crop tops & low rise jeans, because she'll always will be our little girl. If her personality now at 4 is any indication, she'll have confidence plenty! She doesn't really notice it anymore, it's just that as a mother i want to do all i can to help heal her best i can. But thanks for the kind words.

Sponsored
YCI Inc.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Newport News
More Discussions