Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greymaiden

Best bottle color?

greymaiden
14 years ago

I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed. I can't make the search function on this forum work. It just returns a blank page. If someone just wants to link me to where this was previously discussed that would be great too.

I'm about to place an order for bottles and jars for the purpose of storing my herbal tinctures and and dried herbs. I am really digging the blue bottles and jars because they are so pretty! I know amber bottles and jars are the "industry standard" though.

Is one color of dark bottle/jar better than the other? I know clear jars don't protect herbs and tinctures from the light as well, but I am not sure what dark color does this best.

So, herbalists, tell me: Would you rather store your herbs and tinctures in blue bottles or amber ones? Why? Does it make a difference?

Comments (5)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

UV is what causes the most problems, Blue is closer to UV and as a result lets more UV through, same problem with green (ever notice how beer in green bottles is skunky?). Brown is standard for a reason, you can also find black if you look in the right places. Store the bottles in a cool, dry, and dark place. Bottles with built in dropper tops are more susceptible to air seepage and as a result more likely to suffer from oxidative damage in long term storage situations.

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Amber bottles are what I use most. There are some violet bottles on the market that are touted as being even better, but I don't know if that is true or just marketing. The price seems to be triple or more of amber jars though. However, if you are storing your tinctures and dried herbs in a enclosed space away from light, you would be fine using the blue bottles. Heck, you can even use clear bottles and jars if your items are being stored in an enclosed space that doesn't get light (like an armoire or a doored closet that doesn't have a light on all the time). If it is open shelving in a room, even if the sunlight doesn't directly hit the herbs, I would use amber. Best of luck!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Amber, unless you are using them quickly. I only buy mists in blue bottles as I've never found them in anything else. I wouldn't buy a product in a blue bottle otherwise.

For any products I make I use amber/brown containers.

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

As far as tinctures and the like, amber is the way to go. I use recycled glass jars to store herbs, herb combos in, and then put them in a cool place, away from heat and light. that's the advantage to amber bottles. they help to keep out light. my understanding is: heat, light, and air will break down herbs, so if you can protect them by storing them, all the better. They will last longer for you.

• greymaiden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Follow up on my own post!

Thanks for the consensus, everyone. I consulted with a licensed pharmacist on the matter and he also said that amber bottles were the best for storage because they block more kinds of light than blue or green bottles. (Didn't ask about black or purple though!)

So consider this case closed. Blue bottles are pretty, but amber bottles are better!

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz
More Discussions