Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosquito defense?

Posted by yummykaz 8TX Spring (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 12:50

Any suggestions to keep them at bay? I can stand next to my neighbor outside and be covered w/in seconds. She can stand there with not one on her.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosquito defense?

Okay... well, I dunno... but I have heard it all depends on how you process B12, as in Brewer's yeast etc. Apparently, skeeters and et al, don't like people who exude B12... which men usually do the most of...
I was in Mexico in the jungle, they were biting through my hair and I asked "Why aren't the Mayan's getting bit"? No one knew that one either and I was SLATHERED with repellent....that place is a mosquito soup....

o

I haven't done anything about mosquitoes this year because they haven't been a big problem (yet). Usually by the time it's warm enough for them, it's too dry. So it's been a while since I've really had to think about them every day. But I used to get tons of bites....

Mosquitoes love me, too. I've always been a big fruit eater and had heard that that appeals to mosquitoes.

I have used lavender oil successfully to discourage them -- a drop here and there, or a few drops in a spray bottle with alcohol or vinegar.

o

We have a small swamp behind our hous and have always used citronella candles as well as a couple vases full of dried Eucalyptus. Alternately, try a bit of Rose Geranium essential oil (are they the same?).

However, it sounds like the mosquito army circling your house is pretty heavy and might call for more drastic measures.

Here is a link that might be useful: FromGardenToKitchen.Com

o
RE: Mosquito defense? Catnip

catnip!

take several leaves and rub them on every bit of exposed skin, (remember your ears). you'd be surprised at how well it works. and the stuff grows wild, thank goodness! AND it smells nice

o

There's a product called Bite Blocker (which I haven't tried) containing several kinds of plant oils, which is said to be pretty effective.

It's discussed in this article along with other plant and non-plant derived repellants.

o

I have been using Repel's Lemon Eucalyptus. Great stuff... even keeps flies away... you kind of smell like a eucalyptus tree for awhile, but it works like a charm! And the CDC says it works against the mosquito that carries West Nile Virus.

o

bunp,bump.bump,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here