Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

Anyone up for some fun?

silversword
14 years ago

Let's do a guessing game! Twenty questions, anyone? The first person will pick an herb, describe it and what it is used for, and everyone will try to guess. The one who gets it right gets to pick one of their own...

I'll start:

I'm one of the top ten most popular perennials grown in the US. I am recognized by my beautiful flowers. You can use my roots, leaves, stems, and flowers for herbalism and I am used to stimulate the immune system and fight bacteria, viruses, and other harmful microbes. Most commonly I am used to reduce the symptoms of colds and flu.

Who am I?

Comments (47)

• apollog
    14 years ago

Echinacea?

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

Durn, my echinacea never converse when I'm around.

Here's a favorite herb with mystical properties - it contains complex alkaloids, has been used in ancient times as an anesthetic, and reportedly was mixed into wine by the Carthaginians to render invading Roman troops unconscious. And speaking of talking herbs, this one is said to shriek when you pull it up by the roots*.

Guesses?

*It's not a good idea to do this (legend has it that you'll be sorry).size>

• eibren
    14 years ago

Mandrake?

• eibren
    14 years ago

I'm covered with short white hairs and my name suggests that I am covered with frost. I am so bitter that the favorite way to use me is in sugar lozenges, which one can still buy at Cracker Barrel. I am good for bronchial conditions.

What am I?

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Horehound

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

Yes, I was referring to mandrake. (I had considered using as a clue the Peter Sellers character in the movie "Dr. Strangelove" - {{gwi:59978}} is at left in this photo). :)

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

This is fun! herbalbetty it's your turn! I'd like to if you don't, as I guessed right on two,lol. Your's was very interesting eric.

• goshen
    14 years ago

I am a very large North American tree. My bark is used for colds. My leaves can be poisonous to livestock.
    Who am I?

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

I'm one of the earliest plants to emerge in spring. I am capable of thermogenesis. I was part of the American Pharmacopea and was used for relief of spasms. At one time, I was used as a contraceptive.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

goshen - Wild Black Cherry

herbalbetty - themogenesis can only mean skunk cabbage!

Here's another....

I'm a broad-leaf plant found in people's lawns. I'm not native to North America. I came to North America with the Europeans and seemed to spread westward with them. So much so that the Native Americans called me "White man's footprint." I am also called "Nature's Band-Aide" because a mashed or chewed poultice of me soothes insect bites and scrapes. Who am I?

FataMorgana

• silversword
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh oh, I think I know this one Fata! Are you Plantain?

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

You got it!:)

FataMorgana

• silversword
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I come in many many varieties, some edible, some just beautiful.

I'm good for morning sickness, and am very delicious pickled. You can make me into a tea, cook with me, or appreciate my beautiful flowers and foliage. Some of my flowers are edible and I come in all colors.

Other benefits include:

It promotes energy circulation and increases the metabolic rate. Naturopathic medicine uses it for heart and artery renewal and hypertension. It protects the lungs and the colon. Its healing qualities can transform, reduce, or expel phlegm in the lungs. Cold-type asthma (white, clear, foamy discharge, with cold extremities and pale complexion) is alleviated by the addition of this to your diet. It stimulates circulation and is useful for arthritic and rheumatic disorders, especially for muscle complaints due to age; the oil should be massaged into affected parts.

• mikect05
    14 years ago

~~~~Ginger~~~~ :0)

• mikect05
    14 years ago

I am believed to bring wisdom, joy and delight. Hippocrates called me his medicine chest. You can make wine from me or if you like liqueur. I grow as small trees or shrubs, but don't cut me down unless you sing a special chant.
    I am a strong antioxidant, and anti-viral and have been shown to inhibit the flu.
    Who am I?

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Elderberry!

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

The Europeans use to plant me along pathways to their door and Native Americans hung me in bunches above doorways to ward off witches and evil....
    my medicinal uses can be traced back to early Greece....
    Also used in past externally as anti-inflammatory, astringent, antiseptic...
    possible tx for alcoholism....
    i can cause photosensitivity, lethargy.......
    i was one of those widely popular herbs of the minute for awhile..........
    i have yellow flowers used for dyes...
    am named according to flowering time and harvest.....
    who am I?

• silversword
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm stumped Novice!

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Novice, if you added that my yellow flowers stain your hands red, perhaps silversword would get it...

• silversword
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Herbalbetty, I have no clue what herb Novice is talking about... share it if you know!! I'm intrigued!

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

St. John's wort

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

thanks herbal betty, i was trying to keep an obvious herb from being too obvious.lol. maybe i'm not good at this game.

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Novice, I think you are excellent at this game! C'mon, do another herb.

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

This is fun! Can we keep it going?
    Even though it's herbalbetty's turn...
    Here's another:
    I have purple blooms and serrated leaf edges, you can find me in the wild growing close to a poisonous plant (as the antidote)
    usually used fresh by chewing blooms and flowers, and applying the mixture of plant and saliva
    astrigent for bites, stings, rashes
    used to tx burns and scar tissue
    NEVER use me externally for more than five minutes at a time
    a nervine, you can use me in a tea or pillow sachet
    also good as bath tea for relaxation and sore muscles
    simmer me in a pot to calm hyperactive children
    in colonial times, I was used to tx STDs
    male elks will roll in a patch to attract a mate
    I am a member of the mint family
    medicinally, this wild SPECIES is considered superior to the species found growing in gardens..........
    considered a cure-all by the Muskogee

• silversword
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nettle?

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

No, think flowers...purple , but another flowers red....
    the common name for garden plant includes an insect name, as it's flowers attract it....
    frequently seen along roadsides in eastern US and Canada...

• andy_sa
    14 years ago

Jewelweed?

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

nope.
    native plant of Ohio, currently their garden plant of the month....
    i recently bought a rose-scented species to make tea, since I lost my rose bush to black spot....
    all species attract butterflies and bees....
    this SPECIES i grow for medicinal purposes

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

The clues were good. I'm surprised no one has guessed it. Here's another clue that should get everyone calling up google maps....

One of its other common names includes the name of a city located on the shores of Lake Ontario which is also a county name in New York State.

(novice_2009, I got the right one, don't I? :)

FataMorgana

• andy_sa
    14 years ago

OK, my knowledge of North American herbs is scanty, and my geography of that pert of the world's even worse, but going on the last clues, are we talking about bergamot? (Oswego Tea?)

• havensnest
    14 years ago

Skullcap?

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

Oswego marching through Georgia?

• goshen
    14 years ago

I'm an American plant growing in most of eastern US. I am a bush or small tree. I have yellow flowers blooming in the fall.
    My bark and leaves are used for an astringent, for insect bites,skin irrations and poison ivy.
    What am I?

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

Wild Bergamont, aka- sweet leaf, bee balm
    This is Monarda fistula, not didyma
    Fatamorgana and andy were right on

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

is that jewelweed, goshen?

• andy_sa
    14 years ago

OK,here's an easy one in riddle:

A flash of the lion's teeth
    May make you wet the bed,
    But allay the effects of ale
    When root wins over bean.

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

Dandelion?

• andy_sa
    14 years ago

In one!

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Goshen is talking about witch hazel.

Okay, here's one:

I'm sometimes known as Bible leaf, as smelling my leaf was said to revive many a weary church-goer during lengthy sermons. Another of my folk names refer to my use in brewing. I can grow 3-4 ft and am best propagated by division.

• andy_sa
    14 years ago

Costmary?

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

You are correct!

• goshen
    14 years ago

herbalbetty got it. Sorry i was so slow answering. Don't come here much anymore.
    Here,s a hard one.
    I grow in Siberia.
    Russian cosmonauts and olympic athletes use me on a regular basis for stamina. Also used for depression and to help boost immune systems.
    I've been featured in major science periodicals. Northern Canada is trying to grow me as is N Carolina. I can now be bought in USA sometimes.

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Goshen, I don't know whether it is Eleuthero (Siberian ginseng) or Roseroot (Rhodiola) that you are talking about. Both fit the bill for Siberia and the actions you are discussing. Don't know about the Canada and N. Carolina growing though. Time to look it up!

• annabelle13
    14 years ago

If it is ginseng, don't forget about Wisconsin.

• goshen
    14 years ago

Its rosea rhodeola, Herbalbetty was right. It's being tried grown experimentally in both northern Canada and the Carolinas according to Science News.
    Russia does not want to share. LOL

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

I grow both Eleuthero and Rhodiola. They are both interesting plants. Eleuthero is quite a shrub. Rhodiola is a low growing plant that looks very alien-like. In the early spring, it's an ugly blob with little nubbins on it. Then, it sends out growth from the nubbins and becomes a pretty plant.

• apollog
    14 years ago

>> Its rosea rhodeola, Herbalbetty was right. It's being tried grown experimentally in both northern Canada and the Carolinas according to Science News.

Yup. One brand I bought is grown in Canada. Relatives in Scandinavia grew it (or a related plant from that genus) as an ornamental -- they had no idea it might be good for anything other than looking pretty. And they didn't want me to dig it up to smell the roots. :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions