Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

anybody grown your own medicinal herbs from seeds?

novice_2009
13 years ago

Trying to grow some medicinal herbs from seed....various ones. Haven't had success with direct seeding really. Only success I guess was corn poppy and california poppy. Oh, and tennessee echinacea started in flats last fall.

Anyone on this forum do this? Is it best to start them in flats and transplant? Have you had any success with direct seeding medicinal herbs? Which ones?

Comments (27)

• catwhisperer2009
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have 2 nice Valerian seedlings I winter sowed. Last year I tried putting my Valerian seeds in the freezer for a month, but the resulting seeds didn't germinate. Winter sowing is how I'd recommend.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I grow many herbs, both culinary and medicinal. For growing herbs, both medicinal and culinary, try the Herbs forum. See you there!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: GW - Herbs Forum

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys!!! Looking for tips for those hard to germinate ones. Direct seeding with these guys can be tricky.
    The fall sowing is helpful for many species I think.
    However, I can't sow anything right now as voles have overrun my garden beds, wreaking havoc. The first root they ate? My one and only Angelica plant. Then they moved on to the feverfew, anise hyssop......

• mcfaroff
    13 years ago

Hi, Novice 2009
    I grow lots of medicinal herbs here in New Mexico. I don't have much success throwing out seeds in the garden. I mostly start them in seedling flats inside. some need stratification, some need light(ie lay them on top) and some will not germinate no matter what. Norman Deno from Penn State has a great book on those details, he self publishes. Another helpful book is Encyclopedia of herbs by Deni Bown. I found this pursuit opened up a whole world to me. Very satisfying. My last resort is to buy a plant and then they usually will self seed. Horizon herbs has seeds and plants and lots of information about growing them. Good luck! Gloria

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Gloria! Most of my seeds are from Horizon Herbs! I've got Richo's book, and the book Growing 101 Herbs That Heal by Tammi Hartung. Both are very helpful in telling you how to treat the different seeds. I'm going to try starting them indoors, as outdoor sowings aren't working- this year it was poppies and yarrow. Two pkts of seeds, no plants.
    Anyway, what have you been successful with starting indoors?
    What do you grow?

• mcfaroff
    13 years ago

Hi Novice 2009,Having said Indoors the poppies I grow do not transplant well ie should be seeded outdoors early like March, they germinate in cooler temps. May be the same with yarrow since it is native to here. Practically everything I try indoors germinates except butterbur,alkanet,spilanthes and grindelia this year. This year I started valerian,gotu kola, ephedra, stinging nettle, anise,skullcap, jiaogulan, gravel root, henbane,tulsi,ashwagandha, astragalus,elecampane,veronica,and lycium. I try different stuff every year. I have two objects in mind, to fill my garden with every herb and try growing extras to sell. I know you are in Zone 6b but other factors influence herb growing like I am at 7000 ft elevation and very dry with a short growing season. What is your climate like? Gloria

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gloria, I live in TN. The climate this time of year is hot and humid. However, this year we had a record flood, followed by upper 90s temps and very little rain. My poppies I direct seeded, and the yarrow and tansy also. Surface sown, the poppies early. There was some sprouting, but they were tiny and then the weather got them. The yarrow and tansy I tried to keep moist, but it's just been too hot I think. I was going to try again with a fall sowing of the yarrow, what do you think?
    Because of the crazy weather, I missed a very small window of opportunity to direct sow some seeds. These are in my fridge for storage: roman chamomile, stinging nettle(tried it before with no results), skullcap, evening primrose, elecampane, st. john's wort, vervain, beebalm(monarda fistula), and a few others. Can't direct sow any of these now. All need cooler temps. I was thinking of starting some indoors and maybe putting them out in the early fall.
    I'm not sure about artificial stratification, I know some damp sand, with the seed, stored in fridge for a few weeks?
    Then maybe start indoors in small plastic pots or outdoors in large pot of flat? Or just wait till next spring? What do you think?
    This is what I have growing now : catnip, one valerian plant, pennyroyal, beebalm(monarda didyma), motherwort, wormwood, comfrey plant, peppermint, applemint, and some tiny echinacea plants, the tennessee ones, I thought I'd plant them since they are native. They aren't growing well, as it's the end of June and they are still tiny seedlings, creeping thyme......that's about it for my herbs. The only ones started from seed is the echinacea and pennyroyal.
    My goal is the same as yours pretty much!!!! I want to grow as many herbs as I can.
    Do you think it's too late to start any indoors and transplant out in early Sept?
    How did your elecampane and nettles germinate?
    Gretchen

• mcfaroff
    13 years ago

Hi Gretchen,I germinated the elecampane and nettles inside in April. the nettles are light dependant germinators so just press them into the soil. In this dry climate I have to cover with plastic to keep them moist, not sure if you need to. I find that from year to year and from flat to flat the varience in germination is marked. Stratification can be up to months in length, varies for different plants. I am not very successful with it. But the idea is to imitate winter's freeze thaw action.
    Anyway try some of the seeds you have inside in flats and put them out as soon as you can. I am going to try that with marshmallow. by the way stinging nettle is hard to germinate so go on craigslist and ask if anyone has the plants, generally they are glad to share because they are very hardy when they get started.I did that and they are finally established and perenials to boot.My seedlings are still tiny, tiny.
    This year seems to be the worst ever to try gardening at all.The whole country had long cold winter, short undependable spring and early hot, hot then whatever it is that we have now.I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
    I am glad to have an herb growing buddy. Fatamorgana suggested going to the herb forum and I agree there is alot of information there too. People who know alot about herb growing. Check it out. and keep in touch, gloria

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Gloria. I'm glad to find somebody else on here who grows medicinal herbs from seed, too!!
    I checked out the herbs forum and it mostly seems to be culinary herbs, well mostly.
    I read that nettles will spread rapidly once established, so to plant them in an isolated area(also you don't want to be brushing up against them alot). So, I don't want to just put them anywhere! I was going to try a fall sowing, to actually get them to germ, but I'm don't think I'd be able to tell a nettle seedling from a weed.
    You're right about the weather this year, I thought maybe it was mostly just our area. But we definitely didn't have a decent spring I was hoping for to put out those seeds.
    I put some seed in bags with slightly moist sand in fridge on the 29th, and I'm going to put them in a flat indoors after the 4th.Too hot for outdooor flat. Germ is up to two weeks! Will let you know how it goes.
    Gretchen

• eibren
    13 years ago

Those on the Herbs forum do seem to know more about the actual growing of many herbs, but that forum is more for culinary herbs, if I am not mistaken.

I am hoping that those who grow medicinal herbs will share further in this thread.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

No, the Herbs forum is for growing herbs of all sorts - medicinal, culinary, perfume, dyeing, and more. After the first of the year I will be working on FAQ's for the Herbs forum and hopefully they will clarify that.

True, most of the questions asked in Herbs forum are about culinary herbs, but that is what people are asking about. Most of the regulars do know and grow a wide range of herbs including medicinals but they rarely start threads. Medicinal herb topics are always welcome and answered. So if you have an herb growing question, I would ask it on the Herbs forum since you will get more eyes-on-your-post as well as response by herb-growing knowledgeable people.

FataMorgana

• theherbalist
    13 years ago

I think I could look up and find my resource for "medical" herb seeds in Washington and Oregon states. They're not at all very expensive. Ask and I shall deliver.

Being that I treat clients professionally, I don't get into the realm of botany, not my interest. But I admire anyone who takes the time to do so. I'm sure the rewards are great. In Arizona, it's more work to grow things than when I was in Pennsylvania.

Charlie
    The Herbalist

• eibren
    13 years ago

I find that the weeds I spared usually end up being the most useful herbs.

:o/

If I were susceptible to that sort of thinking, I could easily believe that the herbs a person needs are drawn to them.

• eibren
    13 years ago

Posted by fatamorgana Zone 5/6 (My Page) on Sun, May 2, 10 at 10:05

I grow many herbs, both culinary and medicinal. For growing herbs, both medicinal and culinary, try the Herbs forum. See you there!
    FataMorgana
    Here is a link that might be useful: GW - Herbs Forum
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by eibren (My Page) on Sun, Dec 26, 10 at 1:17

Those on the Herbs forum do seem to know more about the actual growing of many herbs, but that forum is more for culinary herbs, if I am not mistaken.
    I am hoping that those who grow medicinal herbs will share further in this thread.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Posted by fatamorgana Zone 5/6 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 26, 10 at 11:10

No, the Herbs forum is for growing herbs of all sorts - medicinal, culinary, perfume, dyeing, and more. After the first of the year I will be working on FAQ's for the Herbs forum and hopefully they will clarify that.
    True, most of the questions asked in Herbs forum are about culinary herbs, but that is what people are asking about. Most of the regulars do know and grow a wide range of herbs including medicinals but they rarely start threads. Medicinal herb topics are always welcome and answered. So if you have an herb growing question, I would ask it on the Herbs forum since you will get more eyes-on-your-post as well as response by herb-growing knowledgeable people.
    =========================================================

I do find the present division confusing; any work on FAQs for both the Herbs and Herbalism forums would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know enough about the history of the Herbs and Herbalism forums to comment with complete understanding, but it seems to me that it would be safer for the general public if there were a clear cut division between the culinary and household herbs and the ones used for treatment.

Even though many culinary herbs can be used for treatment as well, the opposite is not true, ie. the majority of herbs used for treatment could possibly be harmful if used in cooking, IMO. I share the concerns of some other posters that a lesser-informed visitor to this site could possibly overuse a treatment herb with uncomfortable (or worse) results.

IMO there should be a clear-cut distinction between those herbs considered to be reasonably safe (as indicated by general useage) for culinary and household use as opposed to those for treatment.

I have some concern re: a new board member wandering into the Herbs forum, finding growth info on a fairly toxic treatment herb, growing it, and then treating it like a culinary one. I don't understand the current practice.

Additionally, I am uncomfortable with the apparent degeneration of the Herbalism forum into a sort of pseudo treatment center. Surely there are other sites more appropriate for that. This is a gardening website, and it seems to me that the focus on gardening has been lost in here. I'm not saying that treatment belief systems and even modern pharmacological data are not out of place, but I feel they should be couched in terms of threads on the individual herbs themselves so that we can all gradually have a better understanding of the individual herbs.

Anybody can of course post whatever they want, I am just expressing my own preferences here. However, if a FAQ were written for the Herbalism forum, I would hope that there would be a strong reminder in it that this is a gardening website, not a medical one. There would be freedom in that, in that people could have normal discussions regarding beliefs and practices about herbs with the general understanding that these beliefs and practices might not reflect the true biochemical capabilities of the herbs. IMO in the Herbalism forum, it is difficult for
    people to just chat casually about herbs without becoming embroiled in pitched battles regarding claimed effectiveness. I think that could be more helpful in threads where it is obvious the OP is seeking an actual treatment choice, but in threads on the individual herbs I feel it is somewhat out of place to turn a search for knowledge regarding the herbs's reputed characteristics into a pitched battle that essentially chills discussion. IMO it drives away posters that have valuable input to share and constitutes a major loss to this forum. There is a rather large difference between sharing as opposed to constantly challenging the input of others in derogatory ways. As a gardener, I feel this loss acutely. There are not many forums with the potential of this one, for the lover of old herbals and modern garden heralism.

IMO people solely in search of medical advice should really not be coming to this site, and those coming here solely for that purpose should be redirected to medical sites. This is a gardening website. On the other hand, people who actually sell or use treatment herbs should be able to share their experiences without being harassed, which is what presently seems to occur in here. The forum membership deserves to have access to the well-meant input of everyone that comes here, not just those with a modern medico-biochemical orientation.

If people want to present information counter to what others have contributed, it is of course fine for them to contribute their knowledge, but I am uncomfortable with a trainee from the "Quackwatch" website coming here and turning this forum into a personal vendetta just because they can. Most of us enjoy gardening because it is a peaceful preoccupation. The Hot Topics thread is where people need to go if they want to provoke heated discussion, IMO.
    I did some searching in Google and found these:

"Herbs and plants grown in manor and castle gardens basically fell into one of three categories: culinary, medicinal, or household use. Some herbs fell into multiple categories and some were grown for ornamental use. Purely ornamental plants, however, were much more rarely cultivated than they are today. And many plants we consider ornamental now, had more practical uses in past times."

--Beverly Forehand
    http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/herb/the-medieval-herb-garden.htm

Translations: culinary herbs
    Language Translations (or nearest inflections or synonyms, in parentheses)
    Beaujolais petites herbes (aromatic herbs, herbs, fine herbs, culinary herbs, garden herbs). Additional references: Beaujolais, France, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Central Danish krydderplanter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), koekkenurter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), koekkenplanter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Central Danish, Denmark, Germany, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Danish krydderplanter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), koekkenurter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), koekkenplanter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Danish, Denmark, Germany, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Dansk krydderplanter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), koekkenurter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), koekkenplanter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Dansk, Denmark, Germany, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Dutch keukenkruiden (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Dutch, Netherlands, Aruba, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Finnish mausteyrtit (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), maustekasvit (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Finnish, Finland, Russia (Europe), culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Fran硩s fines herbes (aromatic herbs, herbs, fine herbs, culinary herbs, garden herbs). Additional references: Fran硩s, France, Algeria, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    French fines herbes (aromatic herbs, herbs, fine herbs, culinary herbs, garden herbs). Additional references: French, France, Algeria, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Greek f?t? ?a???e?t??? (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), f?t? ?a?e??e??at?? (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Greek, Greece, Albania, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Greek (transliteration) fita karikeitika (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), fita mayreumatos (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Greek, Greece, Albania, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Italian erbe aromatiche (aromatic herbs, culinary herbs, pot-herbs, sweet herbs, pot herbs). Additional references: Italian, Italy, Croatia, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Lyonnais petites herbes (aromatic herbs, herbs, fine herbs, culinary herbs, garden herbs). Additional references: Lyonnais, France, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Ruotsi k?临 (potherb, vegetable, culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Ruotsi, Sweden, Finland, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Sjaelland krydderplanter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), koekkenurter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), koekkenplanter (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Sjaelland, Denmark, Germany, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Spanish hortalizas (greens, garden stuff, potherbs, vegetables, culinary herbs). Additional references: Spanish, Spain, Mexico, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Suomea mausteyrtit (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), maustekasvit (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Suomea, Finland, Russia (Europe), culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Suomi mausteyrtit (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs), maustekasvit (culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Suomi, Finland, Russia (Europe), culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Svenska k?临 (potherb, vegetable, culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Svenska, Sweden, Finland, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Swedish k?临 (potherb, vegetable, culinary herbs, kitchen herbs, potherbs). Additional references: Swedish, Sweden, Finland, culinary herbs. (volunteer & more translations)

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definitions/culinary+herbs?cx=partner-pub-0939450753529744%3Av0qd01-tdlq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=culinary+herbs&sa=Search#922

Bahasa Malaysia herba (herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Bahasa Malaysia, Malaysia, Brunei, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Bahasa Malayu herba (herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Bahasa Malayu, Malaysia, Brunei, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Basque sendabelarrak (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Basque, Spain, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Brazilian Portuguese plantas medicinais (medical herbs, medicinal herbs), ervas medicinais (medical herbs, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Brazilian Portuguese, Portugal, Angola, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Central Danish medicinske urter (medical herbs, medicinal herbs), laegeurter (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Central Danish, Denmark, Germany, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Chinese Simplified ?? (herb, Chinese herbology, medicinal herbs, galenical, herbal). Additional references: Chinese Simplified, China, Brunei, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Danish medicinske urter (medical herbs, medicinal herbs), laegeurter (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Danish, Denmark, Germany, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Dansk medicinske urter (medical herbs, medicinal herbs), laegeurter (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Dansk, Denmark, Germany, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Deutsch Heilkr䵴er (medicinal herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Deutsch, Germany, Austria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Dutch geneeskruid (medical herbs, medicinal herbs), geneeskruiden (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Dutch, Netherlands, Aruba, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Euskera sendabelarrak (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Euskera, Spain, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Fran硩s plantes simples (medicinal herbs), plantes m餩cinales (medicinal herbs, medical herbs), simples (medicinal herbs, simple), herbes m餩cinales (medicinal herbs, medicinal plant). Additional references: Fran硩s, France, Algeria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    French plantes simples (medicinal herbs), plantes m餩cinales (medicinal herbs, medical herbs), simples (medicinal herbs, simple), herbes m餩cinales (medicinal herbs, medicinal plant). Additional references: French, France, Algeria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Gaelg lossreeyn lheihys (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Gaelg, United Kingdom, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Gailck lossreeyn lheihys (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Gailck, United Kingdom, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    German Heilkr䵴er (medicinal herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: German, Germany, Austria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Greek fa??a?e?t??? ߿ta?a (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Greek, Greece, Albania, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Greek (transliteration) farmakeitika votana (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Greek, Greece, Albania, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    High German Heilkr䵴er (medicinal herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: High German, Germany, Austria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Hochdeutsch Heilkr䵴er (medicinal herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Hochdeutsch, Germany, Austria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Hungarian gy?medicinal herbs). Additional references: Hungarian, Hungary, Austria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Italian piante officinali (medicinal herbs, medicinal plants). Additional references: Italian, Italy, Croatia, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Japanese ?? (medicinal herbs, plants, herbs), ???? (medicinal herbs, plants). Additional references: Japanese, Japan, Taiwan, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Magyar gy?medicinal herbs). Additional references: Magyar, Hungary, Austria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Malay herba (herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Malay, Malaysia, Brunei, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Malayu herba (herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Malayu, Malaysia, Brunei, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Manx lossreeyn lheihys (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Manx, United Kingdom, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Manx Gaelic lossreeyn lheihys (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Manx Gaelic, United Kingdom, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Melaju herba (herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Melaju, Malaysia, Brunei, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Melayu herba (herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Melayu, Malaysia, Brunei, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Portuguese plantas medicinais (medical herbs, medicinal herbs), ervas medicinais (medical herbs, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Portuguese, Portugal, Angola, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Serbian (transliteration) lekovito bilje (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Serbian (transliteration), medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Sjaelland medicinske urter (medical herbs, medicinal herbs), laegeurter (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Sjaelland, Denmark, Germany, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Spanish plantas medicinales (medical herbs, medicinal herbs), hierbas medicinales (herbal medicine, herbal products, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Spanish, Spain, Mexico, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Standard Malay herba (herb, medicinal herbs). Additional references: Standard Malay, Malaysia, Brunei, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Turkish sifali otlar (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Turkish, Turkey, Bulgaria, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Vascuense sendabelarrak (medicinal herbs). Additional references: Vascuense, Spain, medicinal herbs. (volunteer & more translations)

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definitions/medicinal+herbs?cx=partner-pub-0939450753529744%3Av0qd01-tdlq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=medicinal+herbs&sa=Search#922

Translations: aromatic herbs
    Language Translations (or nearest inflections or synonyms, in parentheses)
    Beaujolais petites herbes (aromatic herbs, herbs, fine herbs, culinary herbs, garden herbs). Additional references: Beaujolais, France, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Bohemian aromatickᠢylina (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Bohemian, Czech Republic, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Brazilian Portuguese ervas aromᴩcas (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Brazilian Portuguese, Portugal, Angola, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Central Danish krydderurter (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Central Danish, Denmark, Germany, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Cestina aromatickᠢylina (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Cestina, Czech Republic, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Cymraeg perlysiau (aromatic herbs, spices). Additional references: Cymraeg, United Kingdom, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Czech aromatickᠢylina (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Czech, Czech Republic, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Danish krydderurter (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Danish, Denmark, Germany, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Dansk krydderurter (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Dansk, Denmark, Germany, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Deutsch Gew?uter (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Deutsch, Germany, Austria, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Fran硩s fines herbes (aromatic herbs, herbs, fine herbs, culinary herbs, garden herbs), herbes aromatiques (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Fran硩s, France, Algeria, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    French fines herbes (aromatic herbs, herbs, fine herbs, culinary herbs, garden herbs), herbes aromatiques (aromatic herbs). Additional references: French, France, Algeria, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Frioulan mindusiis (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Frioulan, Italy, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Frioulian mindusiis (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Frioulian, Italy, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Friulano mindusiis (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Friulano, Italy, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Friulian mindusiis (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Friulian, Italy, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Furlan mindusiis (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Furlan, Italy, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    German Gew?uter (aromatic herbs). Additional references: German, Germany, Austria, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    High German Gew?uter (aromatic herbs). Additional references: High German, Germany, Austria, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Hochdeutsch Gew?uter (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Hochdeutsch, Germany, Austria, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Italian erbe aromatiche (aromatic herbs, culinary herbs, pot-herbs, sweet herbs, pot herbs), odori (odors, odours, olfactions, aromatic herbs, herbs). Additional references: Italian, Italy, Croatia, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Latvian aromatiskie gar?augi (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Latvian, Latvia, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Latviska aromatiskie gar?augi (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Latviska, Latvia, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Lettisch aromatiskie gar?augi (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Lettisch, Latvia, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Lettish aromatiskie gar?augi (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Lettish, Latvia, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Lyonnais petites herbes (aromatic herbs, herbs, fine herbs, culinary herbs, garden herbs). Additional references: Lyonnais, France, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Portuguese ervas aromᴩcas (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Portuguese, Portugal, Angola, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Priulian mindusiis (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Priulian, Italy, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Sjaelland krydderurter (aromatic herbs). Additional references: Sjaelland, Denmark, Germany, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Spanish hierbas aromᴩcas (aromatic herbs, garden herbs, sweet herbs). Additional references: Spanish, Spain, Mexico, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)
    Welsh perlysiau (aromatic herbs, spices). Additional references: Welsh, United Kingdom, aromatic herbs. (volunteer & more translations)

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definitions/aromatic+herbs?cx=partner-pub-0939450753529744%3Av0qd01-tdlq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=aromatic+herbs&sa=Search#922

Sorry for the length, but it is interesting to me that the divisions exist in many different languages. The "Household Herbs" term just provided a list of Google sites rather than a list of translated definitions.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

There are medicinal qualities to many if not most culinary herbs and plant-based foods. And so I believe that separating off the Herbs forum into info only about growing culinary or "household herbs" and not medicinal herbs is not possible at all. I think Hipocrates summed this up best with "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food."

Clearly there is going to be overlap between the Herbs & Herbalism forums. Overlap happens across many GW forums. But having read both the Herbs and Herbalism forums for 3+ years, the separation between the two groups is abundantly clear to me. The Herbs forum's focus is on growing herbs with some usage information (culinary, medicinal, dyeing, etc.) in addition. The Herbalism forum's focus is on medicinal herb usage including medicinal attributes of herbs as well as herb education, info resources, medical studies, medicine making, etc.

Obviously, you may post as much about growing medicinal herbs here as you want. But most of the real herb growing, plants, seed sources, harvesting, etc. info given in this forum over the last year or more has been given by me. Sad part is that I only read this forum when the other 4 GW forums that I read have nothing going on. I'm no moderator or GW authority so I can't tell you what to do. But my suggestion is that if you want your herb growing questions answered - regardless of the type of herb, go to the Herbs forum.

FataMorgana

• theherbalist
    13 years ago

IF there could be a differentiation between herbalism and herbs, it would have to be by "intent of use", as a remedy or for cooking. However, that may not be enough to separate them for forum purposes.

Charlie in Arizona
    The Herbalist

• eibren
    13 years ago

Some plants considered "herbs" are neither remedies or food though--they are for household use to repel insects, provide fragrance, or just for ornament.

• theherbalist
    13 years ago

Eibren:

I see what you mean. That makes it even more difficult to catagorize them for a forum.

Charlie in Arizona
    The Herbalist

• theherbalist
    13 years ago

. . . but anything under "herbalism" would have to be considered remedial, wouldn't it?

Charlie in Arizona
    The Herbalist

• eibren
    13 years ago

I think we'd have to look to Gerard or Culpepper for that.

Did they list any non-therapeutic herbs in their herbals?

My main thought was that it would be best to keep the therapeutic herbs in a separate category; I think the household and ornamental uses would be safe in the "Herbs" category.

I just remember, when I first became interested in herbs, planting a few, such as Tansy, in the belief that they could somehow be used in cooking. That was just because they were for sale along with other herbs in my local garden sore. Raw beginners really don't know what they're dealing with in the herbal realm, and once something is planted in a garden there is a tendency to actually use it, for good or for ill. (I did have the sense to look up Tansy before trying to use it in a tea.) I'm not saying that people should not grow heral remedies; just that they should at least realize that's what they are. I'm not the brightest bulb in the universe, but I know there are people around with less understanding than I have. At the time, I was raising two extremely active toddlers, and didn't have access to a computer to look anything up. Access to herbals was minimal to nonexistent in my area, which had only a few tiny bookstores, none of whose owners were interested in herbs or even very much in the way of botanical subjects--just oversimplified books on gardening.

My Tansy did someone good, though--I observed sparrows taking some of it for nesting material. As it is used by humans to repel ants, I guess sparrows use it to repel nest pests.

• theherbalist
    13 years ago

Eibren:

You were smart enough to investigate first in a responsible manner. Hopefully, others use their common sense before ingesting any plant. I think most people can be more intelligent than we give them credit. . . as regards herbs. ha,ha

Tansy, incidentally, does have its place. I've used it for years. It's only the continuous and excessive use that becomes a problem. And believe me when I say that it's so bitter that most people would quit taking it in disgust long before it could harm them.

Just my opinion.

Charlie in Arizona
    The Herbalist

• eibren
    13 years ago

What are Tansy's other uses?

Another example of a possible problem--One year the local garden store did not have the white horehound I usually use, but they had black horehound. I assumed its use would be similar, and I don't think it had a tag delineating its uses.

I went home and planted it, only to find, a few weeks later, through Google, that it was poisonous, and for ornamental use only.

That time, I made it a point to notify the herbal people at the garden store. I stressed their legal liability. I have not seen black horehound being offered there in subsequent seasons, whereas the white horehound reappeard. One small win for herbalism, I guess.

:o/

Horehound is one of my favorite herbs, and when it grows in sufficient quantity for me, I use it fairly regularly. I didn't think it was hardy to my zone 6 area, but one year it self seeded itself from its plant pot into a Northwest facing spot under a Maple tree, but close to the sidewalk, where it came up the following year. I think I have since lost it due to the fierce competition from Snakeroot and Bittersweet in that location.

Which reminds me to start a thread on Snakeroot....

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Another example of a possible problem--One year the local garden store did not have the white horehound I usually use, but they had black horehound. I assumed its use would be similar, and I don't think it had a tag delineating its uses.

Oh goodness. I wouldn't want ANY medicinal plant labeled at the nursery with uses. People are already stupid enough in their uses of herbs. No label is going to have the information people need to use an herb safely. And what happens when something is mislabeled or labels are switched? I've been a regular in the Herbs and Name That Plant forums long enough to know this happens quite a bit.

And as far as non-culinary herbs located with culinary herbs at nurseries? Happens all the time. Dyeing herbs are some of the most common non-culinary ones to find there. Customers change their mind and leave stuff in wrong sections too. The onus is on the buyer of the plant to know if that plant is used in the kitchen or not and how it is used. The nursery is not responsible for the assumptions of a buyer nor what they may put into their mouth without knowing for sure what it is and how it is used.

Rhubarb is a terrific example. It is included with the fruits or vegetables at any nursery. The leaves, which look like many edible greens, are toxic to the point of death in quantity. It is the stems that are eaten. Should rhubarb, terrific with strawberries in a pie, have a big old skull-and-crossbones label? Maybe tomatoes and potatoes too since their leaves are toxic and we don't want people putting those in a salad? No, you can't stupid-proof any plant nursery. People are responsible for themselves and what they put in their mouth.

With public libraries, the Internet, bookstores, and all the other information sources these days, there is no excuse for not researching any plant and its uses.

FataMorgana

• theherbalist
    13 years ago

Eibren:

Curious . . . do you know the latinis termis for your black horehound? Reason I ask is because I use black horehound (ballota foetida L.) which is quite safe to use.

Thanks.

Charlie in Arizona
    The Herbalist

• theherbalist
    13 years ago

Eibren:

I'm originally from Punxsutawney, PA. What part of the state are you in?

I'll tell you more about tansy later when I have more time.

Charlie in Arizona
    The Herbalist

• eibren
    13 years ago

Charlie, I'm in S. Central PA, not too far from TMI (10 mile radius) but North of Reeser's Summit, which seems to make a difference in growing conditions. I've noticed the garden shops in the county South of us sells plnts that are less cold-tolerant than the shops in my county do. (That's why I'm not entirely certain I'm in the 6a region.)

The Black Horehound label just said "Black Horehound". It looked like regular horehound except it didn't have all the white hairs over lighter green that white horehound does. It was darker green but not really black, and had the usual scalloped edges to the leaves.

I can't remember what reference on the Internet said it was poisonous.

" The onus is on the buyer of the plant to know if that plant is used in the kitchen or not and how it is used. The nursery is not responsible for the assumptions of a buyer nor what they may put into their mouth without knowing for sure what it is and how it is used."

Actually, Fata, whether there is any onus or not depends on how the nursery is selling the herbs. If they have a warning sign up they're covered. IMO, if they don't, and someone is poisoned, it serves them right if they are sued, especially if they are selling the plants contiguous to things like garden vegetables.

The garden shop made a real mistake with the black horehound. I think the sign behind it was for white horehound, and all they had was the black, which is why I purchased it. ASA I realized it was not like my usual horehound, would spread, and was just an ornamental, I pulled it up. It was an attractive plant, but in the earlier stages of growth it was difficult to tell them apart, and I use my white horehound quite frequently.

It is all well and good to believe that everyone has the resources to research herbs, but there are still people in the USA that can't even read, let alone have access to the Internet. Luckily for most of them, they also cannot afford to purchase herbs from garden shops.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

The nursery is at fault if they mislabeled something. That aside, you are responsible for what you put into your mouth. People must take responsibility for their own actions and not sue someone else for their dumbness.

As I have already said, plants in and not even contiguous to the fruits & veggies section carry dangers - and I didn't even begin to list them all in my previous post! It is up to the buyer to know safe use for any plant and not the nursery's responsibility to teach that.

FataMorgana

Sponsored
More Discussions