Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujubean74_gw

Culinary Herbs and dogs?

jujubean74
18 years ago

Anyone know, or have a link in regards to culinary herbs that dogs shouldn't have? The reason I ask is I recently started a potted herb garden on my patio and my dog has access to them. So far he hasn't bothered any of them, but if I go out and pluck a leaf, he wants some. I've been giving him a mint leaf here and there, and he got a hold of lemon balm leaf, which he loved! I have several different things out there, just wondered if there are any he shouldn't have straight off the plant? My other dog could care less, this one is curious about everything!

Comments (12)

• kfgesq
    18 years ago

well pointsetta is not good but other herbs in moderation, like anything else is fine. of course the dangerous herbs are not good for you or the dog but the ones that you can eat he/she can eat.

• thorspippi
    18 years ago

I've never been sure about garlic and dogs. I see recipes for homemade dog treats--most contain garlic. But then I see references here and there saying it's bad for them--similar to chocolate.

grr.

And what about garlic chives? or other alliums?

• ltcollins1949
    18 years ago

Regarding alliums, well, . . .I know that lots of dog food recipes call for garlic, but I don't know about other alliums. I think that the trick here is that the garlic is cooked rather than eaten raw. I read somewhere that raw onions can be toxic to dogs, so maybe the cooking makes it OK.

• thorspippi
    18 years ago

oh that makes sense!

• majemeryn
    18 years ago

I've read that garlic can cause anemia in dogs and cats. I would also stay away from onion, shallots, and chives if you can. I haven't heard about any toxicity with the other common culinary herbs.

You could double-check herb safety by checking out "Dr Kidd's Guide to Herbal Dog Care". (Dr Kidd is a Kansas City area holistic vet who advocates adding herbs to dog's and cat's diets.) You could do an internet search and probably find plenty of info by him as well. If you're still in a reading mood, Juliette de Baircli Levy has been advocating herbs for dogs for a very long time and has a number of books out.

Good luck!

• thorspippi
    18 years ago

ohhh anemia.

Fortunately, the cats react to chives as though they were smelling rubbing alcohol (they've learned to stay away from me when I'm changing my insulin pump infusion sets because of the stench of rubbing alcohol).

• kfgesq
    18 years ago

I have always given my dogs garlic and onions from time to time i believe that if giveen in excess garlic or onions may cause anemia because they are natural blood thinners. I have dachshunds and have given them a clove minced in their food several times a week repels fleas and is also generally goos for them. My old dog lived to be 14. Dr Poitcairn has a good book also. Gives all natural herbal and homeopathic remedies.

• thorspippi
    18 years ago

oh man. I'm back where I started! :D

• ltcollins1949
    18 years ago

In the July 2005 issue of The Herb Companion there is an article on PLANT A GARDEN FOR HEALTHY PETS: Herbs and health make a happy combination for animals as well as people. By Randy Kidd, DVM.

I just received it in the mail and am getting ready to read it. It looks very interesting.

• thorspippi
    18 years ago

Let me know if it has good data, and I'll get a copy.

• ltcollins1949
    18 years ago

I just read the article, and it was "general" in the information that it provided, but made me interested enough to want to do more research on the subject.

If I didn't have a subscription to The Herb Companion, I still would buy this issue off the shelf just to use the article as a reference.

• whitejade
    18 years ago

I even have planted "Cat Grass" for my dog...he loves it!