Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ma huang vs. Mormon Tea

Posted by ABQ_Bob 7 / SS10 (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 05 at 22:14

Ok, supposedly Ma Huang (ephedra sinica) is more potent than Mormon Tea (ephedra nevadensis et al) but will it still "work" for allergies? I'm particularly looking for an herbal antihistimine - NOT a decongestant. Is there something even better I might consider? I hear mullein is good for allergies, but does it dry you up (which is what I want) or just increase mucalage (like horehound does). I also have asthma so if I can take a swipe at two birds with one remedy that would be great too!

Also, living in NM, I could probably just collect a mormon tea plant - they grow wild around here, and I also have family living in Utah where it also grows abundantly wild - in fact I've had "Mormon Tea" there on a deer hunt once - it was very bitter, dunno if there's a more tasteful way to prepare it, we just boiled it over the campfire like sheep-herder coffee.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ma huang vs. Mormon Tea

If you do not want a decongestant, ephedra is not the drug for you. Its active chemicals are ephedrine and pseudoephedrine which are decongestants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ma Huang Action

o

Well, mullein is a good decongestant... I have asthma too, and SMOKING it is supposedly good for asthma, but I have never tried it.
Nettle is supposedly good for allergies...hence allergic asthma, also, I dunno, I have just heard this and have every intention of trying it.

o

"herbal antihistimine" ... it's not any of the Ephedra family. They are decongestants related to Pseudoephedrine.

I have found that DAILY doses of Echinacea are good for repressing the production of histamine. I use 2 capsules of the Nature's Way powdered leaf or whatever, EVERY DAY. It minimizes the allergy symptoms for me.

o

Thanks for the prompt replies - Sudafed never worked for me, so I guess the ephedra plants won't do it either, hehe. I may try the echinacea route. However Primetene mist, basically inhaled ephedrine, does work for my asthma so maybe I could use it for that(?) Probably just easier to buy the inhalers...

o

Try Querticine complex for the allergies and freeze dried stinging nettles good for the asthma and alergies.

o

My asthma has been so bad this year from California's rains that I take so MANY meds for it Advair, Combivent and Singulair. Not being able to breathe is no fun!

o

• Posted by Cacye Denver,CO (My Page) on
    Sat, May 14, 05 at 18:32

I haven't used mormon tea. However, ma huang tang is not just for decongestant. If you use it for chest spasms or tight rib muscles from infections as well as allegies it will work fine. Decoct ma huang (9 grams) in water(about4cups) about 20 minutes.Remove the froth. This is a strong diaphoretic. It will treat wheezing and is used primarily for that if used by itself. The Chinese use it in numerous formulas to treat exterior cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here