Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outsidethebox_gw

Help with Hibiscus Identity

Outsidethebox
10 years ago

I bought this Hibiscus from Sam's Club and I was hoping to use the flowers to make tea.. then I realized there were many different varieties of Hibiscus! Can anyone help on this?

Here is a link to some pictures I took: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/elthznd901/library/Hibiscus

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

The plant looks like a Hibiscus rosa-sinensis hybrid (the usual ornamental Hibiscus grown in this country).

Flowers from this species are used to make tea. You should confirm plant identity with Sam's Club.

• Outsidethebox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have exchanged a few emails with Sams Club.. but I am not sure they know. They want me to call in tomorrow to discuss it.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

I'm not sure I'd trust what a big-box store has to say about what plant it is. I've seen too many identification requests for mislabeled plants from big box stores in the Herbs forum and other forums. Though it does look like the standard ornamental variety eric said. If so, check out the link below.

But note that many ornamental plants are treated with chemicals for one reason or another. I would not use the plant for edible or herbal purposes.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: PFAF entry

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Eric and Fatamorgana gave good answers.

HerbDoctor

• Outsidethebox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. This brings up an interesting point. How do you ever know if a Hibiscus Plant is safe for tea then?

I am referring to chemical treatment statement. At least in my area whether you get it from a nursery or a big box store.. they are all shipped in(Colorado).

This goes for other herbs as well.. I just started an herb garden this year and I bought mostly pre started plants. Any of them could have been treated as well?

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Grow your own from seed. Buy from small or independent growers or nurseries where you can talk to the people who grew the plants. Buy only "organically" grown plants. And finally, you can usually be safe (more or less depending upon your viewpoint on various "food safe" fertilizers and pesticides) when buying herb or vegetable plants that are intended for food use.

FataMorgana

• rockguy
    10 years ago

I agree with the idea of not using commercial ornamental plants for edible uses since many are treated with systemic insecticides because it's just easier to sell good-looking plants without bug damage.
    On the subject of tea use, okra is in the same family. Wonder if seed-grown plants would make good tea?

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

all the flowers of mallow family members may be used for tea, all are perfectly edible. including okra flowers of course!

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

Actually, several members of the mallow family can cause problems when their parts are ingested, including Gossypium hirsutum (cotton). More than one species are capable of concentrating nitrates from the soil and thus proving toxic (thus it might make sense to avoid using flowers from hibiscus plants recently purchased from commercial sources and which possibly were heavily fertilized with nitrogen-rich fertilizer). Indian mallow (Abutilon theophrasti), considered edible by some, has been reported to have both toxic and mutagenic properties.

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

oh good grief, bwahahaha!

to the rest of you possessing common sense:

anything can be toxic in large doses for long periods of time....even water! flowers of this family can safely be used for tea provided they have not been poisoned.

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

"anything can be toxic in large doses for long periods of time....even water!"

I applaud the common sense of this statement.

It should be remembered any time a poster makes noises about "toxins" in food, medicine, vaccines etc. and proclaims that people need to be "detoxified" or "cleansed" of these substances, without considering that dosage is what makes something toxic and establishing that the Scary Substance is actually present in the body in amounts sufficient to cause harm.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    10 years ago

Hibiscus sabdariffa (roselle) is the traditional plant that gives Red Zinger its coloring and tartness, and forms the core of Carribean and asian drinks like Agua Jamacia and Sorrel.

it's not the petals, but the calyx, that have the red coloring and flavor. the petals are useful for as a poultice base but have little or no flavor of their own.

the pretty plant you have may not make good tea, but Roselle is easy to start from seeds, the young leaves taste of spinach and watercress, and the roots are hardy to zone 7, so they will come back most years.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals
More Discussions