Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverminty

Green tea tummyache

riverminty
14 years ago

I love green tea, but I find that most varieties (particuarly more astringent types like Vietnamese Tea- Che Xanh, and some pu-erhs) give me an odd stomachache after drinking it. The more I drink, the "weirder" my stomach feels, slightly queasy (but I've never once thrown up from it),and it lasts hours until it passes through my system.

I find that drinking it daily for a while can help my body get a little used to it, but I still get quasi-cramps every time. Any sugestions for counteracting this sensitivity?

And as a side note- for "optimal health", how much green tea is supposedly best to consume daily? "Five cups" is the dose I commonly see recommended, but that doesn't make sense because it doesn't say how many oz per cup that would be. Anybody know? Thanks a bunch!

Comments (5)

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Listen to your body! It's sending you a clear message that you shouldn't use green tea.

While tea has its medicinal benefits, we should never assume that it's suitable for ALL people. Individuals, and their reactions, vary considerably.

Three cups per day is the usually recommended dosage. One cup=250ml.

If you have problems with your plumbing system, you should either avoid tea altogether, or at least keep it down to 1 cup per day.

Warning: Excessive amounts may lead to dizziness, constipation, palpitations, insomnia and nervousness in susceptible people. People suffering from anaemia should not drink tea in frequent or large amounts, as it may affect iron levels. Some researchers suggest that tea should not be taken while receiving chemotherapy, while pregnant or breastfeeding, or by those with heart problems, kidney disorders, stomach ulcers and psychological disorders (particularly anxiety). Tea (particularly green tea) may interact adversely with the following medications: adenosine; beta-lactam antibiotics; benzodiazepines; Beta-blockers, propranolol and metoprolol; blood-thinning medications such as Warfarin or Aspirin; clozapine; ephedrine; lithium; Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs); Phenylpropanolamine (often contained in cough medicines).

• eibren
    14 years ago

I never drink tea without milk. There is an astringency to tea that seems to be countered when it is allowed to bind with milk constituents.

That said, when I was pregnant I found that both tea and coffee made me queasy.

I agree with Daisy; listen to what your body tells you. And act on it.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

The trouble with taking milk with tea, if you want the tea for its medicinal benefits, is that milk counteracts those benefits - neutralises them. This might be good if tea upsets your tummy, but in that case, why bother drinking the tea at all if you're deriving no benefits from it?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

Clearly Daisey is not a tea drinker. I love my earl grey, but that could have something to to with my treky leanings.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Actually, I am an enthusiastic tea drinker. I don't drink coffee. My current favourite tea is Orange Pekoe, but I have a large assortment of teas (all Camellia sinensis) on hand at all times to suit my mood. A vanilla-flavoured tea is nice after dinner.

I never add milk to my tea. Milky tea is, IMO, an abomination! Apart from the fact that it destroys any goodness in the tea, it also destroys the flavour!

Sadly, my gynae-urologist has limited me to 2 cups a day. Equally sadly, I do not always obey his instructions!! I love my cuppa.

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz
More Discussions