Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some good practical herbalism resources?

Posted by b_fleetwood (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 3:20

I've lurked on these forums for some time and I am interested in herbalism, but there is a lot of unsubstantiated nonsense about the subject. I don't see herbal medicine as a replacement for modern medicine but I think that modern doctors have a tendency to treat diseases instead of patients and focus on curing diseases instead of preventing them and promoting overall health.

Can anyone provide a reading list for a herbalism newbie with special emphasis on including specific herbs or vegetables in ones normal diet to promote better health the prevention of specific conditions/illness?

Eric_oh, I am particularly interested in any books you might suggest, because of your particular views on the subject of scientifically substantiated herbalism. Though, any resources anyone can provide will be helpful and much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some good practical herbalism resources?

A couple of books you might find interesting and valuable - Steven Foster's "Herbal Renaissance" and "Herbs of Choice" by Varro Tyler are modern appraisals of herbal medicine that take into account research into the effectiveness and safety of herbs.

This thread mentions several good online sources for evaluating botanical remedies. Some of these sources discuss findings on foods/supplements which have been promoted as preventing disease (including lycopene (found in tomatoes), vitamin E, pomegranate juice etc.), some of which are promising and some which haven't lived up to their initial billing.

o

Michael Moore's herbal site has a lot of good informaiton.

http://www.swsbm.com/homepage/

http://medherb.com/MATMED.HTM

o

Thanks guys i'll check those out.

o

also check out David Winston's site, www.herbalist-alchemist.com The American Herblists Guild Journal also gives good reading. Herbs for Health is a terrific magazine geared toward edibles for health. The Herb Pharm has some very interesting lectures to download. All these places are very scientifically based, yet with a strong sense of honoring herbal tradition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here