Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing Herbs, Drying and Freezing

Posted by dpinker1 z4 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 10:41

Many of my herbs are ready to be picked. This is my first herb garden and I welcome any help. How do you store them, freeze them and which ones should I dry. I have the following:
Basil, Oregano, German Chamomile, Mint chocolate, spearmint, peppermint, Dill, Chives, Sage, Rosemary, Parsley, Bee Balm, Thyme and Chervil. One other that I don't yet recall. I want to be able to use them throughout the winter months and will be using fresh throughout the summer. I also grew some lavender to mix with some for sented gifts. Because I'm currently out of work I am also looking for gift idea's. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing Herbs, Drying and Freezing

dpinker, dry everything but the basil and chives. For the oregano, mints, dill, sage, rosemary, parsley, bee balm, thyme and chervil - harvest after the dew has dried, and then bunch them into small bundles (strip off some of the lower leaves if necessary), put a rubber band around them and hang up to dry. For basil and chives, you might want to freeze. Whir the individual herb in the blender with just a little water to help things along and freeze into ice cubes. Put the ice cubes into freezer bags and freeze. You could also make pesto with the basil - which makes a wonderful present. The chamomile should be spread on a clean screen to dry (put something underneath the screen to catch the seeds that will fall through). If your chives are blossoming right now, harvest the blossoms and make chive vinegar. Sterilize an empty mayo jar, fill with fresh picked chive blossoms and top up with white vinegar. Let steep until gift giving time, then strain the vinegar and rebottle into pretty bottles.

o
RE: Storing Herbs, Drying and Freezing

why cant you dry basil and chives? I dried my chives and put them in a jar in July, they are not refrigerated. I keep them with the rest of my dried herbs in a cabinet. I use them all the time for cooking. Am I at risk of botulism?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here