Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_blackhaw

New crackdown on fake cancer cures

rusty_blackhaw
15 years ago

The FDA has announced an effort to crack down on companies marketing these remedies, which include bloodroot-based salves previously discussed in this forum:

""Although promotions of bogus cancer 'cures' have always been a problem, the Internet has provided a mechanism for them to flourish," said Margaret O'K. Glavin, the FDA's associate commissioner for regulatory affairs. "These warning letters (to marketers) are an important step to ensure that consumers do not become the victim of false 'cures' that may cause greater harm to their health."

The FDA urges consumers to consult their health care provider about discontinuing use of these products and to seek appropriate medical attention if they have experienced any adverse effects.

The products contain ingredients such as bloodroot, shark cartilage, coral calcium, cesium, ellagic acid, Cat's Claw, an herbal tea called Essiac, and mushroom varieties such as Agaricus Blazeii, Shitake, Maitake, and Reishi.

Because these products claim to cure, treat, mitigate or prevent disease, and these products have not been shown to be safe and effective for their labeled conditions of use, they are unapproved new drugs marketed in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

Examples of fraudulent claims for these products include:

"Treats all forms of cancer"

"Causes cancer cells to commit suicide!"

"80% more effective than the world's number one cancer drug"

"Skin cancers disappear"

"Target cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone"

"Shrinks malignant tumors"

"Avoid painful surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or other conventional treatments""

The problem is that enforcement actions often take a long time, and companies can profit off fake cures over that period, then disappear and turn up again under new names selling the same types of junk. Still, it's encouraging to see some action taking place.

Here is a link that might be useful: More info on crackdown

Comments (7)

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Glad they're cracking down. There's plenty of fake cures for all kinds of health problems are'nt there?

• patriotsniper
    15 years ago

The FDA is part of the problem. 70 years ago they cured about 3% of all cancer cases. Today with all our technology, enormous treatment costs, etc. they cure about 3% of all cases.

I think this shows you who the quacks are. Chronic Cancer is BIG MONEY for the corporations. Don't expect to get a cure from them. There are cures out there but they will be ridiculed for sure. Big Pharma is not about to allow a cheap cure to spread.

Google Essiac Tea for cancer. Here is a starter site to read. http://www.healthfreedom.info I am not in any way affiliated with this site but it tells the story of Essiac Tea. Read the entire site.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, survival rates for many forms of cancer have been improving in recent years. Some of this is due to improved diagnosis (detecting cancer in earlier, treatable stages) and some is due to more effective treatments (including the use of drugs originally derived from plants).

"The National Cancer Institute reported that the survival rate of five years has made an extraordinary improvement over the last 20 years. Colon cancer survival has increased by 65%, while breast cancer shows a 89% improvement. Prostate cancer shows the most improvement of all cancers, with a 100% increase in five-year survival."

Essiac tea has been turning up in health fraud cases for decades. Here's more on it and other worthless cancer treatments.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Patriotsniper, where did you get that 3% number, as I understand it our cure rate is something like 75% for everything but small cell lung cancer. 90% with early detection.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brendan, your 75% to 90% figure is way too high, seeing as how long-term survival rates remain poor for some cancers like malignant tumors of the lung and pancreas.

On the other hand, early detection and treatment have had considerable success in stemming mortality from (for example) breast and prostate cancer. There have also been major advances in successful treatment of other malignancies including leukemias and lymphomas.

By the way - if you go to the "healthfreedominfo" website, you get this statement:

"The visitation of the Sovereigns' Health Freedom Network web site by any person or governmental agency constitutes tacit admission and consent to the sole jurisdiction/principles of Natural Law (Turtle Island)."

I'm now a resident of Turtle Island? They better not try and collect taxes. ;)

• patriotsniper
    15 years ago

brendan of bonsai, Ty Bollinger's book, "Cancer - Think Outside The Box.

Those high rates you mention seem to be based on the tumor not the cancer. Tumors don't cause cancer or even kill UNLESS they are located in a life threatening position in the body. Chemo reduces tumors ONLY. Chemo kills fast growing cells good and bad. Some cancers grow slowly and are not affected by Chemo. Reducing tumors does NOTHING for saving lives. I suspect the high numbers you have come up with are related to reducing tumors. Patients may die tumor free thanks to Chemo, but NOT CANCER FREE.

Rene Caisse thought that Chemo should be a criminal offense and I agree.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, I think those were based on two year survival rates or some such like that, and thats all cancers but small cell lung averaged, not all types of cancers individually, and they are sure the hell more accurate than 3%.

P.S. (not post script ya rum dum)Tumors are aggregations of cells, in some cases the pressure and contact inhibition hormones that result from a growth can spur cancer on, cancer is more likely in sites of injury. I'm not sure how much anatomy you have but inside of the body there aren't many positions that aren't life threatening. Cut off the blood flow or ICF flow or grow a hole through to the heart, lungs, liver, stomach, pancreas, bladder, spleen, spinal col;umn, brain or GI tract and you die. Cancer cells reproduce and form tumors, they metastasize and spread tumors to other areas, in the end it is the tumors that kill you. Yes Chemo doesn't work on all cancers, it works by making the body a lousy place to live and some cancers are tougher than we are, but it does kill many types of cancer cells, most are fast growing and that is their vulnerability. You need to learn a little bit about the physiology behind cancer before you make claims like that, Personally I am a cellular and molecular biology buff, and I have grown cancer cells in vitro and in organisms, and you \\sir haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Why are you so sure that Ty Bollinger isn't talking out his ass?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions