Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your experience with Motherwort wanted

Posted by herbalynn Oregon, 7-8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 11:54

Howdy fellow herbarians. I would like to hear some personal experiences with Motherwort. Don't need any textbook quotes, as I have tons of them already.
I would like to know about actual persons that have used this herb, and how it worked for you.
I ask for this, becuase I have only tried it once, and it worsened my headache instead of relieving it... is this unusual? Maybe my body wasn't needing any Motherwort at the time...
Anywyas, I have some lovely blooming plants and would like to make more tincture, but if this is usual for the plant, I don't believe it is meant for me.
Thank you much for all your input... Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your experience with Motherwort wanted

Lynn, I have never used motherwort for headaches. Given it to people for anxiety, but not headaches. Haven't heard of others getting headaches over it, but it could happen. It could be you have a slight allergy to motherwort and the headache is the manifestation of that. Depending on what is causing the original headache, you might find fresh skullcap tincture works. Best of luck!

o

Thanks (((((((((Betty)))))))))))
I did some more research, and although most of my information says to use Motherwort for relieving menstrual cramps, headaches, emotional swings, and hot flashes (and other crazies associated with PMS and crazies in general) I found one place that mentions it can bring on a migraine. Must be what happened to me...
So back to the drawing board... I am thrilled to say I also have some Skullcap ready to be tinctured (this is my first year of harvest for this plant) YAY!
Out to the garden I go, pruning shears in one hand, and Everclear in the other...bwahhahahahahaha... come here my little pretty.....
Love ya all! Lynn

o

I recently read that Motherwort is a very favorite plant of bees.

In my area, it can easily become a sturdy three-foot tall clump of bristly growth, and it reseeds readily even in partial shade.

I haven't had much occasion to use it, and am still researching its characteristics.

o

Motherwort grows wild about my place and the bees, especially bumblebees, do like it. I've never used it myself but harvested plenty of the raw herb for others to use. If you pick it before the seed pods set, it is far less bristly!

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here