Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

What herbs are you propagating now?

jll0306
10 years ago

I love this time of year. The majority of the planting out is done, the veggies are in full swing, and there's not much to do in the garden, except to propagate.And that I'm doing like crazy. More plants to share! Yayee.

This year my oregano, chives and lemon thyme were finally big enough to divide and after months of babying, I finally have some seed-raised orange thyme at the two leaf stage, and Horizon Herbs Mayan mint at the half-inch stage. It's not quite as slow growing as the thyme, but it's close. I would be happy to break down and buy bigger plants as I finally did with the orange thyme, but I never see it for sale.

I've dropped some ornamental thyme seeds in various pots and beds at different times, and now have healthy patches of it cropping up everywhere. My thought is that it will either become a living mulch, or be transplanted to a neglected part of the yard as ground cover, or remain as the sole surviving container plant, once the annuals bite the dust. There comes a time here when it's too hot here to think about replanting anything.

My 18 month old Xhosa plant is a beautiful green mound about 2 feet in diameter and covered with white flowers. It is an African dream herb grown from Horizon herbs seed that is supposed to reseed easily. I hope it takes over its bed completely.

I love Lemon Verbena. It smells so great in a potpourri with orange mint and rose geranium, but my shrub from last year appears not to have made it through the winter. I bought two new plants to replace it, and have already started rooting some growing tips. I will never be without this plant again....nor of the orange mint and rose geranium! They are the easiest of all plants to grow from cuttings. Other mints (lemon, pear,oregano-thyme, chocolate, apple, spearmint and lemon balm) are propagating in cutting trays.

It appears that Papalo also loves this climate. When I think a plant may be difficult to grow from seed, i stick a seed or two in random pots that have plants I will be watering any way. I always forget what i've planted this way, until I see it growing later. This is the second year that I've had a papalo plant come up from seed, and the first that,having forgot about planting it, I didn't rip it up thinking it was a weed (which it is, actually).

And let's not forget the giant alliums i have in several places, I can't stand the bare look of a freshly planted bed or container, so I often stick in some left over green onion bulbs, for quick green. Did you know that if you ignore them, they grow to be quite huge plants?

i have a bunch duking it out with parsley now, which was another experimental seeding. The alliums have shared the pot with rock rose (portulaca) for several years. but when it dies back it leaves a bare spot in the winter. I thought the parsley would be a good winter crop there, but birds.squirrels, and insects ate all the seeds except those which fell among the allium roots The plants are literally growing on top of one another, but this promises to be a good insectiary planting, since the parsley is coming into bloom as the alliums are fading. After that, the portulaca will be kick in and be covered with bees.

My baby valerian start has taken off quite well and I hope to be able to grow it easily here. I also have two pots of gotu kola growing inside that I'm trying to force to become potbound so that i can divide it this fall.

Next on my to-be-started list are catnip, catmint, and sage. And I'm going out to buy hairpins, to pin down any runners of anything i see, like tarragon, and yerba buena that look like they might root with some help.

To paraphrase an old high school cheer: Two, four, six, eight! I know how to propagate!

What babies are y'all making?

Jan

Comments (17)

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jill:

Isn't your post more fitting in the Herb forum? This is herbalism.

Thanks.

HerbDoctor

• jll0306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it is, HDoc...my mistake. I was rushing out the door to get Mom to another doctor and didn't check to make sure I was in the right forum. Nonetheless, i'd be interested to hear if you have anything particular you are growing for the first time this year.

Jan

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Sorry. Got nothing. In Arizona, it's difficult to grow anything let alone herbs. I buy my dried herbs from brokers who get them from around the world. They're all ready to be used. My experience is not in botany, but rather in herbology. Herbology deals more with the clinical use of herbs for better health.

Sorry. Got nothing . . . still. ha,ha

HerbDoctor

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

many herbalists never see and wouldn't recognize the plants they routinely recommend for clients which is a shame imo as where and how the plants grow tells us a lot about them and their medicinal actions.....and simply means the herbalist's education is incomplete (which can be said for any herbalist really, ideally we are always learning). thankfully this is also easily remedied! a field guide for your area, a magnifying loop and a good pair walking shoes are all you need to start : ) there are plant identification forums online that are really fun and useful too. the book 'botany in a day' by tom elpel is a wonderful intro to plant anatomy and family characteristics, good for beginners and intermediates.

in addition to herbalism and clinical training a good professional herbalist is also proficient in botany, plant geography, ethical wildcrafting, etc. they are often gardeners as well. cheers! kali

• jll0306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kalia, I've always ordered my dried herbs from Mountain Rose, but actually growing a few of them makes them much more interesting....like meeting a friend in person that I've only known online.

Gotu kola, for example, which helps with connective tissues, was the one thing that finally got rid of it my hub's severe edema, after all traditional medicine had failed. I had tried and failed to grow it years ago when I was an inept gardener, but now I know it's a bog plant. I have a couple of them growing in non-draining pots, and it's going to be my new BFF.

I think if I learned something new about herbs every day for the rest of my life, I would still have only scratched the surface.

Jan

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Jan:

When I take walks and see an herb that I know and use, I feel the same way. In Pennsylvania, each spring I'd say hello to coltsfoot which happens to be the first herb to come up in the spring. Mandrake is fun to see each year. My favorite is boneset. A beautiful plant!

There are approx. 300,000 species of plants in the world. You'd have lots of fun learning them all.

HerbDoctor

• jll0306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HD,

Do you ever see stands of Motherwort in PA? I've just looked it up this morning and realized how beautiful the plants are, but can't recall ever seeing it growing anywhere.

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Jill:

I remember seeing an herb which I couldn't be sure was motherwort or bugleweed (lycopus virginicus). It had a square main stem. with long lancelot leaves each row alternating perpendicular to the previous row below it. I think both herbs look kinda' alike.

I think I had once identified blue vervain in the wild, too. Not sure.

The herbs that I remember most were: mandrake (Mayapple), poke, sassafras, white birch, blue flag, meadowsweet, sumac, the mints, wintergreen, elder flower/berry, golden rod, american ginseng, pleurisy root, coltsfoot, hawthorn, lilly of the valley, nettle, comfrey, slippery elm, marshmallow, mullein, black cohosh, plantain, etc. Just too many to name. But like we talked about earlier, it's like seeing an old friend again that you haven't seen in awhile . . . like a year ago! ha,ha

Have fun.

HerbDoctor

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Motherwort is a common sight at old homesteads and farms - like my place which was a farm for much of its 160 years. As non-native herbs, I have motherwort, catnip, burdock, teasel, self-heal, yellow dock, mullein, toadflax, elecampane, mugwort, dandelion, ground ivy, plantain, and more that grow here with reckless abandon. The odd one missing, stinging nettle. Most old places around here have that one growing wild too but not my place. I had to add it. Old places in this part of the country easily range in the 100-200 year old category - a time people definitely brought along and planted whatever they needed. Some of it is still here.

New herbs this season that I've started? Hmmmm...... nothing new. But my wintersowing of maralroot was my biggest success. I think everyone of the seeds sprouted. (I already had maralroot in the gardens but wanted more.)

The grecian foxglove has done well. Been blooming like crazy. The roseroot and eastern prickly pear coming along and getting bigger. My fringetree (I'm at it's Northern range) is finally putting on size. It's been a pee wee for 5 years and I'm pretty happy that it has finally gotten to be around 3' tall. My oodles of marshmallow ("Erfurter" grown from seed years ago) is uber vigorous. The gasplants were stunning this season. And I started a bunch more skullcap with wintersowing. It's been loving the monsoons we've been having here.

My native woodland garden has been doing well - bloodroot was quite vigorous this season. Black and blue cohosh making up for the hard and dry time last season. The twinleaf, meadow rue, mayapple, spikenard, jack-in-the-pulpit, trillium (multiple kinds), wild geranium, solomons' seal, etc. all doing well. Reminds me, I've had to look for the goldenseal. It has been growing well but last year's drought (a tough one for a normally moist part of the country) killed off or damage many plants. About half of my elderberries died last summer but I have some young new plants to add come fall. (I sometimes coddle the bareroot plants I get in pots for the summer and plant them come fall.)

And to the OP, certainly visit us on the Herbs forum. Most people talk about culinary herbs but discussions about all kinds of herbs are welcome. The forum is pretty active and cordial. Hope to see you there!

FataMorgana

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Fat: (May I call you "Fat?")

I've never heard of eastern prickly pear. But last year I made 5 gallons of prickly pear wine. Not crazy about the taste. What state does eastern grow in and what does it look like? I'm just guessing, but are you in the south eastern U.S.?

Thanks.

HerbDoctor

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

lycopus and leonurus (motherwort) look nothing alike. easy to tell them apart once you've had a good look at each of them.

motherwort grows in every state except florida and california interestingly enough.

and there are several prickly pear's in the united states (Opuntia spp), look and see here
    http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

I live in the North, western NY State to be exact. We have loads of cold and snow. The prickly pear I'm growing is Opuntia humifusa and I included the vendor link where I originally bought it from. The page includes a range map that might be quite a surprise to you. Cactuses don't all need heat to grow.

Besides looking different, lycopus and motherwort do not prefer to grow in the same types of conditions. Motherwort prefers average to lean soil that is on the dry side (at least I my zone). Lycopus, if I recall correctly, likes average to moist soil and average to rich soil.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie moon link

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

I'm originally from Punxsutawney, PA, just south of you. Near Jamestown? Buffalo? Rochester? I'm familiar with all those places.

Little known fact: Some of the world's best wines are from the Fingerlake Region of your state. Only reason California wines are more popular is because they spent more money on advertising. Though, California wines are pretty good, I'm just sayin' . . .

HerbDoctor

• jll0306
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting discussions....Thanks, Fatima. I pop in on Herbs often, and copied this thread to herbs as soon as I saw my mistake. I will have to find it and link to here from it.

Jan

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Fatamorgana, I would love to have some of your mugwort. Do they seed? I have Holy Basil and regular basil plus about 100 other seeds I could trade with you.

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

This season's major herb propagations (by cuttings): the spineless form of Opuntia humifusa (much more gardener-friendly) and African blue basil (terrific ornamental, occupying a prominent position at the front of my subtropical bed).

• mycelium
    9 years ago

hey jan, are you still growing papalo?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions