Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossdude

Calea zacatechichi (aztec dream herb)

bossdude
16 years ago

Im not one for smoking and dont know how to use a vaporizer, so I was wondering how much of the herb I'd need to steep in tea to get its purported effects?

Probably taking right before bed would maximize effectivness I'd think

Comments (23)

• bossdude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also for homemade, should I remove leaves after steeping or are they ok to swallow?

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

I grew it, but I never actually used it. :o) Since we aren't native shaman with centuries of experience, I'd start on the low side. If it doesn't work, up the dose. I definitely would NOT include the leaves, since we don't know our tolerance levels.
    P.S. Where'd you get yours? The nursery where I got my plant was out of business, or so I thought! I moved and couldn't take it with me... I'd like to go shopping again!

• bossdude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So i guess swallowing the leaves in tea is a no-no ;)

I get mine from-
    http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/dream-herb-p-100.html

$5 an ounce not bad, since the climate I live in cant grow 'em.

I plan on using it for mental clarity/relaxtion and dreams lucid/recall, so I'll have to see which of these effects it induces from those ones I heard about.
    what are you using yours for?

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

Well, I had intended to grow it for lucid dreams... but I have mostly lucid dreams anyway... and being that I wasn't quite sure how much I wanted to experiment without any knowledge,on my own, I was a little chicken. :) But now that I don't have the plant, I am suddenly braver. :) I would be TRULY interested in your results! I will have to look and see if the nursery where I got my plant from, which had been wiped out in a hurricane has come back or not.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

So... did you try it? What were your experiences?

• bossdude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well only twice so far, nothing but I think the dosage was too small so I'll double it tonight and triple next time if it doesnt work :)

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

okay... keep me updated, you are an explorer into new territory. :) thanks!

• bossdude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

not much change on the lucidity point, however dream recall's improved quite a bit

• wilddagga
    16 years ago

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could send me a cutting of this plant. I tried so hard to germinate the seeds, but no success whatso ever. Thanks!

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

:o) Well, wilddagga, My favorite nursery has survived several hurricanes and is back in business... it's where my original Calea came from. Now if Lee's anything like he was before... he's a little slow, but the plants are excellent! I'd like to keep this guy secret... but I guess I'd better share.

Boss Dude... I forgot to ask, what was your dosage? I mean if you did tea, how much herb per water? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Habitat ethnobotanicals

• bossdude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

filled up about half an inch at the bottom, will increase tonight and see how it goes ;)

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

you put a half an inch of herb at the bottom of the tea pot? Hmmm... that's not very specific, how big is the tea pot? I hate to be picky, but I am a little chicken to try things without at least attempting to get an idea of dosages. :D Thanks! Hope you enjoyed it!

• polypod
    16 years ago

I have this plant.
    I think it would be very hard to "do too much". It's not like other plants that change your reality so much, but it does indeed effect dreams. I am an avid lucid dreamer and what i've found is that it seems to extend the dream itself. Rather then having 3-4 segmented dreams, I would sometimes have one LONG dream. My lucidity seemed slightly increased as well.
    So while it's not going to blow your mind, I find anything that can affect dreams quite fascinating. Good luck!

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

Well, I myself, I can't speak for others, am not looking to blow my mind. :o) Been there done that, I want it for it's real properties. So, thank you! That's what I wanted to know... so, Polypod, HOW did you do it? What was the most effective dosage? Thank you! Enquiring minds want to know. :D

• grandma_2008
    16 years ago

1 mature leaf to half a cup of water. Boil/steep two mintues...let cool three

• louisd432
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I too am growing Calea Z, and it doesnt really matter what zone you live in, as it grows easily indoors anyways, and incredibly fast.

About dosage: the original, shamanic dosage is that you must drink the tea (and even smoke a calea cigarette if possible) until you can hear your own heartbeat, which is also known as a handful of the herb, although this does seem like a lot. I would say that the minimum dosage is 3 grams. I have felt effects with 0.5 grams, but it could have been placebo .

• jonnys
    15 years ago

I am interested in growing Calea z. though have read that it is nearly impossible to start from seed. Does anyone have a reputable supplier of cuttings that are viable? After doing a quick search there are tons of people out there selling 'plants' though I've come to ask if anyone has experience with a specific supplier and their product being as advertised?

• bob_mailinator_com
    13 years ago

Another way to ingest calea is based on the recipe used to extract the resin.

When extracting resin, Calea is steeped in ethanol (alcohol, 95%) for 3-7 days then the resulting liquid evaporated until only the resin is left.

Similarly, if you take a bottle of Vodka, (cheapest stuff possible, empty about 1/5 of the bottle (I'm sure you can find a use for that ;) ) and then stuff the bottle with Calea leaves. Seal and let stand for a week. Enjoy responsably as this now contains both Calea extract and Alchol... both will help you sleep, and one will help you dream.

If you weight how much calea you put into the bottle, you can so some basic maths to calculate how much calea extract there is in each shot of Calea Vodka.

Bob

• temporal-joe
    10 years ago

Anybody still following this thread?

I started some from seed, transplanting them now.

Looking forward to mature plants for some tea!

• sahmjay
    9 years ago

temp-joe,

i drank some of the tea and it gave me some lucid dreams. i've tried germinating the seeds but still unsuccessful. might try the ziplock method to see if any success

• TheHippie
    9 years ago

I'm checkin' out this thread. Just got 6 rooted cuttings today and I have 1 little seedling I managed to sprout. I have hardly any dream-recall, so I am really looking forward to growing this plant!

• temporal-joe
    9 years ago

TheHippie

Have you tried dagga? It tastes nasty but it's improved my dreaming like crazy. If you want to try it, I am growing it and have some fresh dried leaf.

:)
    Joe

• Luke Hofmeister
    7 years ago

I generally just eat a few dried Cal. Z. leaves before bed when I take it, I have also tried smoking them as well. Occasionally may have noticed a very small effect but generally notice nothing. Keeping a dream journal seems to work better for me though I don't sleep/wake all that well so getting a journal wrote in the morning while I'm half asleep and still remembering the dream is difficult. All that said I think I might try a tea, from the research I had previously done it was supposed to be the most effective method. Leaves are now about 2 years old. I grew them from seed that I ordered from Amazon or Ebay and if memory serves I had very good germination from one flowerhead and very poor germination from another flowerhead that was sent with the order. Grew well in my zone 3/4 summer (summers get hot and humid here but are pretty short).