Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniegirl_gw

Newbie Gardener

jenniegirl
17 years ago

Hello to all, I am just starting to get into herbalism, and would like to start my own garden. But I am finding it hard to find info on how to start your own garden. Now there are a few draw backs. I live in Ontario Canada...so please note the weather, and I live in an apartment, so I would be starting the plants indoors, then moving them outside when they got big enough. Can anyone help?

Comments (7)

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

Does you balcony or patio get full sun? If not, you may need to get an indoor growing setup with lights. And if you want to keep your plants over the winter, you will definately need an indoor setup.

It is too late this year to start plants from seed, there is not enough growing season left. For this year, buy herb plants from a nursery and grow them in containers outdoors. In September you will need to move them indoors; they will not survive an Ontario winter in a container on a balcony.

A great source for plants is Richter's, they do mail order but it is a great place to visit just north of Toronto.

Here is a link that might be useful: Richters

• jenniegirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have decided to do indoor container gardening. I got all the supplies today. Is it still too late in the year if I am growing the herbs indoors? And is there any herbs that I can't plant in the same container?

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Are you doing lights? Which herbs do you intend on growing? You might do the best with herbs that are 'woodland' herbs, that don't need as much full sun. I will warn you, if you don't do your best to provide what the plant needs versus what you feel like giving them, you won't have much luck. I would say that MOST medicinal herbs will continue to grow, till you will need around 5 gallon pots for each... that is if you have them more than a year. Some get very tall, for example, I have a motherwort plant... she's a good 5' tall when in flower.... my nettle is around 6' tall. Mints that would probably do well indoors don't get very tall. So, it all depends on which plants you want to grow and their needs.

• Aramida
    10 years ago

I am also a newbie and have never tried to grow my own herbs. As I do not have a green thumb, which herbs would be a good starter herb to grow? I live in the eastern US and spring is just starting so I'm going to give it a try and see how well I can do. :)

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Newbie:

Not to burst your bubble, but I think you want another forum that's specific to gardening of herbs. This is herbalism; the use of herbs for better health.

HerbDoctor

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Aramida, I too live in the eastern US and can offer many suggestions. But what kinds of herbs do you wish to grow? That does shape the suggestions made. And knowing a bit about your growing conditions (sun, shade, etc.), also helps the suggestions.

And yes, there is another forum that focuses on herb growing and harvesting. It is a very friendly forum and quite active. I think you will enjoy it much -- Hope to see you there!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Herbs Forum

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

A number of herbs are relatively easy to grow - the "magic formula" is typically sun and soil with decent drainage (doesn't stay soggy after a hard rain for long).

Mint, chives and basil are among the easiest herbs to grow (mint is actually too easy, in that it will spread and swamp other plantings if you're not careful (one way it can be controlled is to grow it in a large bottomless pot sunk into the border, with the pot edge a couple inches above ground to keep the mint from spreading).