Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angel123_gw

Ear infection

angel123
15 years ago

I have a bad ear infection . My right ear hurts alot and it feels like a bad toothache my right ear. My right ear is clogged up like it has air in it it sometimes moves around to my left ear also. When i drink or eat food i could hear my water on my ear like pop its annoying. The doctor prescribed some amox-clav 875mg but that takes along to worK. So I went for a second opinion to a doctor and prescribed clarithromycin 500mg. I'm confused on what is best antibiotic to take the 1st visit to the doc i used the amoxicillan . I took 2 tablets then switched to clarithromycin and took 2 pills so far. I need some advice on what antibiotic's will be good for me .Also will this clogged up air that i feel will it go away with the medicine will it unclog my ear. Please need advice its still hurts as of this time

Comments (6)

• lucy
    15 years ago

You really must not fool around with the medication, don't take one pill and then switch to another. If you feel the amoxicillin isn't working, then begin taking the clarithromycin, but give it a chance to work properly - it won't be instantaneous, but within 2 days you should notice some improvement. If you need to take Tylenol or aspirin for pain while you wait for the antibiotic to clear up the infection, then take some, it won't interfere with the antibiotic. You also need to finish the pills you were given even if you feel better in a few days because it's important for the infection to clear up completely, even if you no longer 'feel' it, otherwise it could come back.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Lucy had good advice,and i want to add ,the reason to keep taking all of the antibiotics is because if the microbes are'nt completely killed they can quickly evolve into a killer microbe immune to the antibiotic you used. Then you would have a real problem and should that microbe get loose so would other people. So take ALL the antibiotics. Did your Doctor not suggest a warm oil in your ears to releive the pain and help get rid of the problem. Don't take something on your own. Ask your Dr. If he's ignorant look up an herbal remedy or ask here for one.

• herbalistic
    15 years ago

I have used a small garlic clove soaked in olive oil, wrapped the bud in gauze and placed it at the ear opening [not so small as to fall into the ear]. Garlic has some amazing healing properties and is antibiotic, antifungal and antiseptic.
    I also use mullein oil or a combination of mullein and garlic oil. Treat both ears with the oil drops so it doesn't keep going back and forth. Generally 6 days then rest the 7th until the problem clears up.
    I have had good results with garlic and mullein oil.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Garlic does have some interesting properties and may have value in treating or preventing cardiovascular disease or even cancer (much of the work is very preliminary). Even with its reputed antibacterial/antifungal properties, however, it's hard to see how active ingredients are going to migrate out of a clove of garlic wrapped in gauze, not to mention how tolerant people will be of having that stuck in their ear for extended periods.

Garlic ear drops have been recommended by some herbalists for ear infections; one problem here (apart from a lack of studies showing it works) is that some garlic products have been shown to contain drug-resistant bacteria - so there's potential for causing infection by using garlic.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Remember Eric is of the Western Medical Religion. And from an anti herbalism persuasion and anything he says about herbalism is from a skewed mindset and to be taken as with all advice on this forum with a huge grain of salt.
    Do your own research or listen to someone from an herbalist field.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

So when I say try Garlic you say don't listen to Brendan, When Eric says why bother to try garlic you say don't listen to eric. Do you care at all what is said? Or is it just that Eric and I should be jeered at?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions