Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs for Cramps

Posted by elvinchic323 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 05 at 23:03

I want to start drying my herbs and using them as often as possible. What are the ways I can use herbs to help with muscle cramps? I tend to have bad stomach aches as well, what can help this? Also, how do I make one of those neck pillows you heat in the microwave? Lastly, I want to make a mint eye pillow.. Need instructions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs for Cramps

so many questions! :o) okay, MY question...why do you have stomach aches? If you don't know why, you can't take an herb to help it. What are the WAYS to use herbs to help with muscle cramps? Same question, WHY are you having muscle cramps... MOST muscle cramps are caused by either not enough fluid intake or not enough potassium, so drink more water or eat more fruit!
the rest you could google... I use bulgar wheat for the neck pillows, not sure about mint eye pillow. sorry!

o

I make rice pillows every Christmas, they are very simple to do. If you know how to sew a basic pillow, just fill it about 1/2 full with white rice, so it can be easily formed around neck, etc... I usually put dried lavendar in mine to make the smell a little more pleasant. I have also used chammomile and cloves. I have never tried to use oils but have thought about it. The pillows only need about 3 minutes or so to heat in the microwave , but you will figure that out. Hope that helped!!

Jennie

o

Heathen is right (again). It is unwise to treat a symptom only. You need to find the cause of the symptom before beginning any treatment.

However, to prevent cramping in general, you need plenty of calcium, magnesium and potassium in your diet, and to drink more fluids. Bananas might be a quick fix in some situations.

But, please, check with your doctor to see why you are getting this pain so often. Do not medicate without a diagnosis!

As for the mint eye pillow, the simplest version is a peppermint teabag. But first, what condition are you trying to treat? It pays to be very careful what you put in or near your eyes.

o

If you're interested in herbal 'tea' for menstrual-type cramps, try red raspberry leaves.

o

I agree on the menstial cramps...I also find comfort from Chamomile

Vera

o

• Posted by Cacye Denver,CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 16:12

For cramps of all kinds, 1000mg calcium plus 500mg
magnesium plus 500mg vitamin C ( the minerals relax
smooth muscle, the C increases your uptake by a factor
of three. Stomach aches; when do you get them, before
you eat or after? What kind of pain? Do you vomit?
Are you pregnant? Other hormone imbalance, birth
control pills, patch, etc.? How much water do you
drink a day? Bacterial infection? Hiatal hernia? Acid?
Number of possibilities. How long have you been doing
this? Do you use alcohol often? Stomach and muscle
cramps can be a mass in your intestine or an abcess,
if it really hurts and gets worse. You might want to
cut the possibilities down to a reasonable number before
you ask this question and use herbs for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here