Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
burdock root oil

Posted by marina4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 0:43

does anyone know how could I make homemade burdock root oil..should the root be fresh or dried ??
I would like use it for hair..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: burdock root oil

It has to be dried... but as with all roots, I highly recommend you chop it up a bit first... some roots, like echinacea turn to steel when dried. :o)

o

So if I chop dried roots, then cover them with olive oil,
for how long do I keep them like this? does a jar stand in the sun or dark place ?

o

dark place... sun will make the oil go rancid, which is always a possibility. You will want as small chopped pieces as you can get, the more to make a 'stronger' oil.

o

How much dried burdock root and how much olive oil is needed to make an effective hair/scalp treatment oil?
How long does it need to soak?

o

Yes yo have to use the dried one. You can find lots of info on Green Bare Hands. The cool thing about it is that you can ask them a question and they will get back to you in no time (i needed to know about dry skin and they replied within 1day) their website it www.greenbarehands.com

o

The best oil is made with the FRESH root. Dig up the root in the autumn after the plant has died down. You want the 1st year root (Burdock is biennial) If you harvest in the spring, you would dig up the second year plant. This is ok but not as potent as the autumn root.

Scrub off the soil but do not use water to wash the root. Chop it into small pieces then let it sit out for 12-25 hours so 'some' of the moisture evaporates. Next fill a dry sterile glass jar with the chopped root and then fill the jar to the top with olive oil. Cover it and let it sit in a cool dark place for 6 weeks. Check on it every few days to release any gas that the infusing root might be producing. Just stir to release these air bubbles.

I'm a herbalist and any solid herbalist will agree that fresh plant oil infusions are far superior than dry. Burdock is so abundant that there is no need to use dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here