Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodywoodchuck

Flower harvesting?

woodywoodchuck
17 years ago

Howdy all!

New to growing/harvesting medicinal herbs and have had vegetable gardens for as long back as I can remember. Started a garden with 25 different herbs and plants this year, all from seed except Goldenseal and Ginseng. Most doing great, a few so-so (or very low germination) and some never sprouted. I will retry seeding the no sprouts this fall. I did do several smaller plantings of each in different areas/sunlight to see where they were happiest. Boy what a difference a few feet can make!

I realize this is a long-term project as the Astragalus, Goldenseal, Ginkgo tree and others are years away from harvestable. Others like Chamomile, Mexican Mint Marigold and the mints I am already enjoying. IÂm looking to build up a stock of herbs that I can use as the need arises for the next year.

Couple questions on harvesting that I could not find using searches. For Mullein flowers, should I harvest just the actual flower or the green sheath that contains it? Or should I cut the entire flowering top off or could I cut just half so I have some extra seeds for next year? None of the books I have really specified and say to harvest when in flower. I have been picking just the flowers when ready to drop on their own. Yes, takes some time but I enjoy just being outside and this is not a chore but something fun. Should I leave two plants un-harvested to cross-pollinate for next years crop?

The leaves themselves, larger low ones or top smaller ones from the stalk? Does it matter? One plant is pretty large with lower leaves over two feet long. I donÂt mean to take the brown leaves on the ground but up a little where they are still green and healthy looking.

Catmint and other mints. Flowers only in one batch and leaves in another, or should they be mixed together. The books again donÂt really specify.

Thanks for any help yÂall can give!

Comments (2)