Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a recipe for organic apple cider vinegar.

Posted by greenhousekendra (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 9:09

Hello,

I am new to this forum but have posted in others. We have a new home and an organic orchard. This is our first year with apples and we have a lot of apples. So I've been looking at different ways to use them.

I have started dehydrating apples and made preserves, jams etc.

I have already juiced apples using a Jack La Lannes Power Juicer, but it doesn't seem to last too long in the fridge, I froze some in freezer bags - is this okay to do?

So here is my main question: What is the difference between apple cider and apple cider vinegar?

Please post a recipe for how to make Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

I've read prior posts but I'm more confused now.

Thanks!
Kendra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a recipe for organic apple cider vinegar.

The difference is that apple cider is just that, apples smashed and then pressed to extract all their juices. It's a sweet drink. Vinegar has gone through several chemical changes, first you ferment the cider from the apples, just like you are making beer or wine. Then a "mother" is introduced. There is no good way to describe a mother. If you have ever had a batch of vinegar sit around and get a nasty looking snotty mass in it, then you have seen a mother.

The mother eats the sugars and converts them to acid. Fresh cider is sweet, then after fermenting it contains alcohol (like beer or wine) and then the mother converts the whole thing to vinegar.

Air is what vinegar needs. Beer and wine are sealed to keep out air, but for vinegar to happen you need air, so you usually make it in a wooden barrel or a container larger than you need.

The only downfall with making your own vinegar is that you never know the percentage of acid. You can use it for cooking but not preserving. So you can make salad dressing but not pickles, just because you can't be sure that it is strong enough to keep bacteria from growing.

If you search the web you will find directions of making vinegar, even buying a mother. I am just now getting into making my own wine etc, so I have only read about the process.

Good Luck!!
Tami

o
RE: Need a recipe for organic apple cider vinegar.

I have a bunch of recipes for vinegar on my website

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Done at Home

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here