Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaca_gw

lime disease

vaca
18 years ago

My 9 year old daughter has been diagnosed with Lime Disease, and now is on an aggressive antibiotic treatment along with probiotic. Someone mentioned cat's claw. Does anyone know anything about it?

Isa

Comments (25)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Cat's Claw is Uncaria tomentosa:
    A woody vine reaching 30 metres or more, with hook-like thorns that grow along the stems. Bears small, yellowish-white flowers. Takes up to 20 years to reach maturity. Sometimes called Una de gato.

The root and root bark are used as an immune system booster. Traditionally, it has been used to treat inflammation, rheumatism, gastric ulcers, tumours, dysentery, to promote wound healing, and as a birth control. It has been used to treat CrohnÂs Disease and diverticulitis, herpes, and may be of use in the treatment of AlzheimerÂs Disease. Lowers blood pressure and increases circulation. Its use in the treatment of cancer and HIV has not been endorsed by research findings.

Warning: Do not use if suffering from any auto-immune disorder, multiple sclerosis, or tuberculosis. Do not combine with hormonal drugs, insulin, anti-inflammatory medications, or vaccines. Do not combine with other blood-thinning medications such as coumarin or aspirin. Discontinue use of catÂs claw at least 2 weeks before scheduled surgical procedures, including dental surgery. Do not use after skin grafts or organ transplants. Do not use when taking antacids. Do not use when pregnant or lactating. Regular usage may inhibit fertility. May cause diarrhoea with initially. Do not take with milk or cream products. Not suitable for children.

Check with a qualified professional herbalist AND your doctor before trying the following remedies for Lyme Disease on your child.

Take Echinacea and Garlic to boost the immune system and fight infection.

Herbs which may be useful include: Kelp, Dandelion root, Ginseng, Hawthorn berries, Horsetail and Marshmallow root.

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Isa -
    Herbs have NOT been well-studied to make sure they don't counteract prescription drugs (Saint John's Wort being the exception). "Cat's Claw" does have a slight anti-inflammatory affect, BUT

Stick with the antibiotics for as long as they have been prescribed - Lyme disease is caused by a microbe and it IS suceptible to antibiotics. Don't complicate things for the doctors by giving her anything else, ESPECIALLY not things "someone mentioned" ... unless that someone is not only a pediatrician but a trained herbalist.

• eibren
    18 years ago

The important thing to know about Lyme disease is that it must be caught, and consistently and effectively treated, early. If effective treatment is stopped or delayed, it might not be possible to eliminate the infestation later. It can then cause severe arthritis, among other things. Not a disorder to "go it alone" on, especially since they have effective early-on antibiotic, etc. treatment available.

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Anyone taking antibiotics can get fungal rashes, because the antibiotics will kill some good bugs along with the bad ones. Get your daughter to eat plenty of yoghurt, or give her acidophillus tablets to help prevent this.

• shortarse_hedgewitch
    18 years ago

if you can givin your daughter kefir should be good, it contains much more good bacteria and yeasts than yoghurt. not only thatit combats fungal problems and yeast problems as the good bacteria are designed to work with our body means that it has the upper hand and outcompetes any invading bad fungus etc.

plus kefir tastes nice :) if u live in america kefir is suposed to be easyer to get hold of there

• Traute_Biogardener
    18 years ago

I know a lady who was disabled from lime disease for years until she totally cured herself from it with a natural remedy. You can read about it at her website: http://ladybarbara.net/Lyme_Disease.htm.

• lucy
    18 years ago

Don't fool around with your children's health. Do continue to see a regular MD and don't take all kinds of other things that may interfere with proper medication. This is a serious disease and can either be close-to-cured, or become worse, and you must deal with professionals, not random stuff from this forum.

• sam_md
    18 years ago

I read the story about the 54 year old grandmother bellydancer who "cured" herself by using teasel root.
    Here's what I want to know, there are tens of thousands of cases of Lyme Disease diagnosed each year and many go unreported. If it was so easy as taking teasel root why isn't everyone doing it? Perhaps teasel root also grows hair on a bald head.
    Cat's claw can react with antibiotics and have a drastic effect on the blood pressure. As the previous posters said use this only with a doctor's knowledge.
    Sam

• david_shiftprint_com
    18 years ago

I work in a doctor's office where we treat Lyme and other TBDs (Tick Borne Diseases)We use many of these and other remedies including antibiotics to treat our patients. One of the mysteries of deal with TBDs is that there is no one cure for all. (just because teasel root dosent work in every case dosent mean it dosent work) Many of the folks we treat go through monthes or years of treatment with little result before finding the one treatment that works. Its as if a Lyme infected person is a lock and we have 400 keys to try some dont work at all, some work a little, but hopefully we can find the one that works and kills the bugs in that individual.

Keep an open mind, nay-saying never works
    David

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

In other cases of incurable terminal illnesses, mixing Western meds with herbs and what-have-you, including even massage, this is called COMPLIMENTARY therapy.... goes WITH, not excluding the other... people forget this and get a little fanatical.

• sam_md
    18 years ago

Below link gives an accurate picture of LD as I see it. Since I am living and breathing disabling effects of LD 24 hours a day here's how I see it. I would love to take teasel root or sassafras tea or whatever and have all my problems dissappear. Unfortunately its not that simple. You should hear some of the comments at our LD support meetings. People are grasping at straws. It is so sad, many including children are crippled (like me) and have Bell's palsey. We have spent alot of money, tried everything, still have LD and getting worse. The stage is set for urban myths and quackery like you wouldn't believe. I am clueless as to what the answer is for chronic sufferers of LD but we haven't found it yet and its definitely not on this forum.
    Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyme Disease Article

• HerbLady49
    18 years ago

2 years ago I suffered from Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatique. I friend told me about a Homeopathic Doctor that is known for curing Lyme Disease plus many other illnesses. Usually people go to him when they have lost all hope of ever being cured. Well needless to say I was cured of my FM and CFS and have met people cured of Lyme. If you don't get any satisfaction from conventional medicine go find a good Homeopathic Doctor. Being cured Homeopathically is not easy. You will have to change your lifestyle in regards as to what you put into your body. It takes a lot of self dicipline. I have learned so much about the benefits of good food since seeing this doctor. Good Luck and God Bless.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

Sam is right about the variety of ineffective treatments being offered to people who either have chronic Lyme disease-associated symptoms, or are inaccurately diagnosed as having Lyme disease.

More information on Lyme, and what works and doesn't work in treating it.

"Lyme disease, when diagnosed early, is readily treatable with oral antibiotics.
    Positive antibody tests, by themselves, do not provide sufficient basis for diagnosing Lyme disease. The diagnosis should be based on the overall picture, including history and physical findings [7,36].
    Negative antibody testing after the first few weeks strongly suggests that the patient does not have Lyme disease [7].
    Many patients with chronic nonspecific symptoms (such as headaches, fatigue, achiness, mental confusion, or sleep disturbances) mistakenly believe that they have Lyme disease.
    Intravenous antibiotic therapy, when given appropriately, should not last more than a month. It should not be given unless oral antibiotic therapy has failed and persistent active infection has been demonstrated by culture, biopsy, or other bacteriologic technique.
    Malariotherapy, intracellular hyperthermia therapy, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, colloidal silver, dietary supplements, and herbs are not appropriate measures for treating Lyme disease. Doctors who recommend them should be avoided."

• oakleif
    15 years ago

lucy and eric

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

If you get Lyme go see an MD and get antibiotics, not homeopathics.

• nutr
    15 years ago

cat's claw is nasty stuff. teasel root is fabulous and no herz either; no drugs; just teasel, vitamins, probiotics, some garlic, you get the idea.

check out this dr's story: http://hisgoodherbs.com/HGH-Lyme01.html He teaches Herbalism and Clayton Natural Health and got teasel from one of his students and so the story goes.....

And, no it does not grow hair, but read Matthew Woods book - per him, the reason deer carry it and don't get sick is because they EAT teasel - it grows wild all over the place and is ugly too.

It works and its cheap and easy - available on Amazon.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

The "dr" is a naturopath who also sells a teasel supplement.

From his website: "Subsequent research shows that the herb's range in the U.S. almost exactly parallels the range of the Lyme carrying deer tick - an observation that quite comfortably fits my notion of natural cures. (God provides the solution to all our trials, and it is always close at hand - if we only learn what to look for.)"

A good example of magical, herbs-are-from-God thinking (if teasel was a God-provided solution to a "trial" like Lyme disease, why was the "trial" inflicted on us in the first place?

The reason deer apparently don't get Lyme disease is that the organism that causes it is not a pathogen affecting deer. Deer will also eat all kinds of ornamental plants, including hosta. Does that mean that we went out into our gardens and grazed on hosta, we'd never get Lyme disease? :)

• wjstams_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I had to speak up here. Some of us can't work because of the disease and find it very difficult to function. Some of us have no medical help and no way to seek treatment--especially without an income. For the doctors or doctors advocates on this thread, please keep in mind some of us are desperate and have no one to treat us. I'm not saying it's the fault of the doctors, only that you should remember that some of us have no recourse but to try these types of healing alternatives. :)

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

Wendy, how were you diagnosed as having Lyme disease?

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Wendy ... Are these "alternative" practitioners giving you free care? Free herbs?

• oakleif
    13 years ago

I hear you Wendy. There are a lot of Americans who cannot afford medical care in this country. I was told last week by my eye doctor that some are even turning down Medicare patients.
    I had Lime disease also not long after it started spreading across the US.( i camp out alot) I had a large circle rash around the bite.I went to my doctor He sent off a blood sample but smartly put me on heavy anti biotics immediately. I did test positive and because of his quick action i had little sickness other than flu like. Sometimes doctors have to use a little commonsense.
    Vickie

• sam_md
    13 years ago

This thread was started in July of 2005, the more things change the more they stay the same.
    I wanted to address the so-called "Lyme Literate" doctors, some are homeopathic some not. The ones in Balto/Annap/Wash area pick and choose as to which new patients they will see. Their fees are astronomical and they will not accept insurance. They sell vitamins and supplements out of their office for triple the price of the local grocery store. They send serum off to IGeneX but only after you pay by credit card in full in advance. IGeneX does not accept insurance. I'm convinced that such doctors are charlatans who prey on the desperation of those with no where else to turn. I was one of them.
    I have since tested positive for rheumatoid factor and treat myself with Humira every 14 days and am much better.
    I have been to more Lyme meetings than I can count, the conspiracy theories abound, Kevin Trudeau would be right at home.
    My advice for anyone with Lyme-like symptoms continue to seek help from legitimate doctors until you find one that helps you. If they say they will not accept your insurance plan simply turn around and leave.

• theherbalist
    13 years ago

Hello, all. As a professional herbalist, I have to throw my hat into the ring with Sam and Eric. Lyme disease develops from weakening of several systems in the body. You can't take one herb and expect to get a miraculous "cure." I wouldn't hesitate treating someone with Lyme's. I've had success in about 2 weeks where the client/patient felt that they got their strength and health back. But, I've also had 40 years of studying and applying my knowledge to get to this point. Just don't be taken in by some over-the-counter panacea. There ain't one.

Charlie in Arizona
    The Herbalist

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbology Science

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

One new development on the Lyme disease front:

The attorney general of Connecticut had announced an "investigation" of the Infectious Diseases Society of America over its guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease. The IDSA has been the focus of criticism by some Lyme disease patient advocates for not accepting the existence of "chronic Lyme disease", an unproven entity which results in some people with fatigue and other symptoms being given powerful antibiotics (sometimes intravenously) for years, by the sort of "Lyme literate" doctors sam md talks about.
    Despite this political pressure, the IDSA has refused to be buffaloed into changes its recommendations.

"In rare cases, people who have been diagnosed with Lyme disease and properly treated have lingering symptoms, typically generalized pain, joint pain and fatigue. These symptoms have been interpreted by some to suggest the presence of chronic Borrelia burgdorferi infection.

However, an extensive review of scientifically rigorous studies and papers available to date, has determined that there is no convincing biologic evidence to support a diagnosis of chronic Lyme disease after completion of the recommended treatment.

There is no doubt that patients with persistent symptoms are suffering, but many report non-specific symptoms that also are associated with a number of other medical conditions. To be certain they receive the proper medical care, people who continue to have symptoms that persist after appropriate antibiotic treatment for Lyme disease should talk to their physicians about whether the original diagnosis of Lyme disease was accurate or if they may have a different or new illness."

People with symptoms ascribed to "chronic Lyme disease" will continue to be vulnerable to certain physicians, alt med practitioners and supplement hucksters seeking to exploit them.

The IDSA has a good FAQ page on Lyme disease, its cause (a spirochetal organism, Borrelia burgdorferi) and treatment.

• peetrock_hotmail_co_uk
    13 years ago

anitbiotics are not a cure all for lyme desease,maybe only for very early cases in non immune compromised patients!,and generaly relying upon doctors to treat lyme will leave you very ill for a very long time!,us lymees only know too well that all we realy have is the multiple listed herbals and supplements that can maintain our symptoms and control the illness!

Sponsored
More Discussions