Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tasymo

What can you tell me about Purslane?

tasymo
16 years ago

I put in a veggie garden at my In-law's place this Spring and the plot was immediately overun with Purslane. Since I had read somewhere that Purslane was edible, and on tasting it, discovered it quite pleasant, I let the stuff grow. My Father-in-law teases me about my garden full of "weeds", but I found on the web that Purslane contains more Omega 3 than Spinach, and is also rich in Vitamin C. I just wondering if any of you folks have any other information about Purslane? Does it have other medicinal qualities? Is there a good way to preserve it for future use when Summer is over? Kathy

Comments (5)

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

It's used in Greek cooking:

"Origin, History, and Mythology: In ancient Greece, Hippocrates, Galenus, and Dioscurides regarded purslane as an important medicinal herb for treatment of fever, female disorders, stomach aches, hemorrhoids, and for the healing of wounds.
    The 17th century monk Agapius Landus regarded purslane as a "cold" herb and prescribed a fresh garden salad made with purslane, basil, rocket, cress, and garlic to those suffering "the common cold."

I'll be this was a lot better for colds than other remedies of the time.

Supposedly purslane has antioxidant activity. I don't know of any convincing evidence for significant medical value, but it's been regarded as a useful potherb for a long time. I should be trying some of mine in salad (it's been a big year for purslane here). Another "weed" that I've tried as a spinach substitute is wild violets. Tastes fine, probably good for you as a vitamin/mineral source as well.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

It's supposed to be, as Eric says, high in antioxidants.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Culinary Uses: Stems and leaves are highly nutritious and can be eaten raw in salads. They can also be cooked or pickled. Can be frozen or dried and stored in airtight containers. The seeds can be eaten raw or ground and made into bread.

Medicinal Uses: Used to treat burns, trauma, headaches, stomach, intestinal and liver ailment, coughs, shortness of breath, boils, sores, vaginal discharges and urinary tract infections and arthritis. The whole plant, mashed, can be applied as a poultice for sore eyes. A good dietary source of iron and calcium, Vitamins A and C, and omega-3 fatty acids.

Medicinal Actions: Anti-inflammatory, demulcent, antibiotic, antiparasitic, nutrient.

Warning: May cause oxalate and nitrate poisoning if taken in sufficiently large quantities.

Usual Dosage: 15-60g leaves and stems.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

A good thread about purslane. A very comman weed across the USA

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Antioxidants looked to be very medicinally useful in test tube studies some time ago, now that we have moved on to studies involving whole real people the effect seems to be less beneficial than we had hopes. No magic bullet yet sadly.

Sponsored
More Discussions