Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennyferry

Does herbal Graviola leaves help in immune system building?

jennyferry
10 years ago

I recently saw my colleague taking graviola fresh leaves for Indonesia with TD. Upon consulting she said that here chronic sinus and relevant allergy has been controlled to great extent. Now she has even planted graviola plant.
Please advise me does in help in immune system building specifically?

Comments (5)

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

graviola is also helpful in some cancers, currently research is going on to determine what else this plant is good for.

• kapiljanet
    10 years ago

I was checking wiki pedia and could not find anything so exceptional about soursop. It looks like any other fruit. In general any is good for immune system.
    But my friendâÂÂs mother says, she been cancer patient, soursop tea taken 3 times a day by her for last 6 months and found suppressing cancer aggravations. This does mean some good about it. But as far as scientific answer is concern, nothing special about this fruit.

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

If allergies are the problem (as described in the opening post), why would you want to "enhance" the immune response? Seems like that would only make the problem worse (since allergies represent an improperly directed immune reaction).

Graviola is one of the latest in a long line of "super foods", widely promoted on the Internet as curing a wide range of ills based on testimonials (but little real evidence). Most disturbing are unfounded claims that it's a cancer cure, though there is only limited data suggesting it acts against cancer cells, but no human studies verifying effectiveness. And it could negatively interact with valid treatment.

"Despite the absence of supportive data, graviola, like many herbal products, is heavily promoted to cancer patients on the Internet, often with false claims of cure. Patients should be cautioned against herbal supplement use when on treatment...

Alkaloids extracted from graviola were found detrimental to the survival of dopaminergic nerve cells in vitro and can cause neuronal dysfunction and degeneration. Graviola may also have antidepressive activity due to its ability to stimulate serotonin receptors.

Extracts of graviola demonstrated cytotoxic effects against hepatoma cells[6] and doxorubicin-resistant human mammary adenocarcinoma cells by blocking ATP utilization and by inhibiting activity of plasma membrane glycoprotein. But human studies are lacking.

ADVERSE EFFECTS: Graviola may cause movement disorders and myeloneuropathy with symptoms similar to ParkinsonâÂÂs disease.[5]

SUMMARY: Graviola demonstrated anticancer effects in vitro, but has not been studied in humans. Despite the lack of human data, many websites promote graviola to cancer patients based on traditional use and on the in vitro studies. Caution is required as there is no evidence of safety or efficacy."

Also, it is quite a coincidence that this discussion was started by two brand-new posters, both from India, with the second post linking to a website that coincidentally sells graviola.
    My spam detector is going off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Graviola and cancer

This post was edited by eric_oh on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 1:23

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Eric gave a good answer.

HerbDoctor

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

as i mentioned above the research is ongoing, but without question i've personally seen graviola help people.

there is no cure-all for cancer but some therapies do provide some healing, comfort and/or improved quality of daily life, these become super important when caring for those with cancer. graviola is one that helps some people.