Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfgesq

bladder infection

kfgesq
20 years ago

My daugter has a bladder infection. I am giving her echinecea, acidopholous and parsley tea. Any other ideas?

Comments (68)

• kfgesq
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Way to go green goddess! Isn't it nice when you go to the doctor and they say"here try this"!? Then you get something more horrible than the problem you came there for and you "try" something else. I think the problem is that doctors are overworked and then the pharmacutical company rep comes in and tells them in ten minutes of the new "remedy" an they give it to patients to try. Believe me I think doctors for the most part are good people, I don't think youwould go into a healing profession without being that way, but there are some really stupid and mereniary ones out there too, like in any other professon. Vaccines were a good thing for a lot of people but it is now being brought to the attention of thepublic that there are a lt of problems associated with them. Why do all thse kids have asthma, for example. Autism for anoter. The one problem with medical "sciece "is that they discover something, do it, and then you don't see the results for twenty years. Sometmes they don't do studies at all. Look at Ritalin. No studies of the long term efects and yet 5 million children are taking it? Jumping too fast into the breach is the problem without follow up studies iswhat I tink. Oh well, just my observation.

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Greengoddess:
    "About phages. It is my understanding that they are viruses that eat bacteria, not rupture them." It is my understanding, backed up by several microbiology textbooks, that the phages multiply inside the bacteria and they lyse (break open) the bacteria to release a new crop of phage particles. It is this bacteriolysis that also releases any endotoxins that may be in the bacteria.

I've never heard of deaths resulting in them as they have been used in Russia with little or no incident. Care to cite some medical research showing this. I've seen some glowing accounts in the popular press, but nothing with any clinical analysis.

I believe the reason that FDA has not approved is because they aren't profitable.If phages could replace antibiotics, the problem of resistance would go away ... at least until phage resistant bacteria evolved. Insurance companies would like that, and proiducing phages would b eplenty profitable.

See http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/93/8/3188 It's being looked into, but there hasn't been progress since 1996, when that article was written. One problem is that the human body sees the phages as viruses and attacks them. The otherproblkem is that there are multiple strains of any bacteria species, and the phages are very specific about which strain they will attack.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=39576&action=stream&blobtype=file&blobname=/[PNASPDFPath]/1996/93-08/pdf/pq003167.pdf
    is another article.

• greengodess
    20 years ago

Hmmmmmm......are you saying that viruses do NOT eat bacteria? And are you also saying that phages are NOT viruses?

I looked into the first site you give and my first problem is that Russia has a huge database of which phages work for which bacterias.....the excuse of not being able to match them up is flimsy, in my opinion. You mean to tell me that science can break the human genome and we can't remove toxins from a phage, should they exist? Give me a break. Then it goes on to say that the reticuloendothelial system, which produces it's own phages naturally btw, are somehow incapable of dealing with naturally occurring phages introduced into the body. I believe this piece of arcticle you have referred me to is discussing genetically engineered phages, which, in my opinion would produce all of these problems that this article cites. Not to mention that the test subjects were injected with lethal doses of bacteria doing god only knows what to the existing immune system to begin with. It seems akin to applying a little aloe vera gel to someone that has just indured third degree burns and then wondering why it doesn't work.

Basically, the gist of the second article you referred me to says that they really don't know anything about it. :0 So there it is.
    The fact that you are in the medical community, even as a lab tech, confirms my feelings about this community. Scary.

• herbalpower
    20 years ago

This is no longer an herbal forum, it has become a medical forum!

• greengodess
    20 years ago

Herbalpower

Traditional medecine is like a bad bacteria, isn't it? :P

Btw. I was very interested in what you had to say about Paw Paw, but thought you were not coming back. Glad you changed your mind.

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

"are you saying that viruses do NOT eat bacteria? And are you also saying that phages are NOT viruses?"

I am saying that phages do not "eat" bacteria in the way you are thinking - they do NOT engulf and digest the bacteria. Like all viruses, they attach to the host's cell membrane or cell wall, enter the cell (usually by a mechanism that injects the viral genetic material), hijack the cell's replication mechanisms and make it reproduce more virus particles. To get the new virus particles out to where they can infect new hosts, the virus induces the cell to "lyse" if it doesn't die and do so naturally. The cell contents, including the new virus particles and anything else in the cell, leak out.

• tressa
    20 years ago

Just my 2 cents. I recently had a couple of physical problems and found more information on the internet than I could obtain from my doctor.....one of which was an allergic reaction to some sort of a insect bite. I could not get my doctor or anyone in the emergency room to consider that I was having this reaction - I got tested for a heart attack, diabetes, etc., etc.,etc., and when I later researched "insect bites" on my computer....there were my symtoms! The problems I have had lately with the medical profession has really turned me off. I agree that this is a forum for "herbalism". Let's keep it that way!

• kfgesq
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Tressa, trust your instincts always! You and your body know better tan half a million doctors.

• binki
    20 years ago

Sorry for veering off topic like this, but the herb that helps me every time with chronic UTIs is called buchu. It's available in health food stores in a little dropper bottle. Buy that and a nice big bottle of unsweetened cranberry juice, then do a squirt of buchu with some water (just whack it back like a shot; it tastes horrid) and chase that with the cranberry juice, mixed as strong as you can take it with water or even straight concentrate if you can do it. Drink AT LEAST a gallon of water a day. I pour a glug of cranberry juice concentrate in a pint glass, fill it up with water, and drink those one after another. The buchu shot I do 3 or 4 times a day. Just before bed, I usually do a buchu shot followed by a straight cranberry shot.

This has always worked to cure my bladder infections within a day or two. Hope this helps you too.

• Cinzia_49
    20 years ago

I'm very surprised that none of you thought of or even mentioned Taraxacum officinalis leaves and root. Dandelion is one of the strongest and most effective herbs for the urinary tract and associated infections, etc. Drinking an infusion of the leaves and flowers 4-5 times per day for a week should relieve the inflammation.

As for drugs, I worked in pharmaceutical advertising for many, many years and I assure all of you that they have deliberately degraded the "art of medicine" to the business of drug-dealing; deliberately turning the American populace into a nation of drug-dependant weaklings with little or no immune systems. They have absolutely no interest in the general well-being of the people. Their profits come from your misery, not from your health.

While it is true that a severe bladder infection could become PID  I know, I had it twice  try the dandelion first, the next time it happens. The antiobiotics they will prescribe are very strong and will in the process severely upset the gastrointestinal tract, leading to a weakening of the immune system. Using antiobiotics for common infections should be considered carefully before undertaking that method of treatment.

Dandelion will neutralize the low pH  if you will  of the body and in the process strengthen the immune response and lessen the chance of chronic infections. It is a non-toxic herb and can be consumed in large amounts without ill-affect.

• bushpoet
    20 years ago

Hello there. I'm newish to the forums but just wanted to put in a word about uva ursi; yarrow; marsh mallow; and oregon grape root (or goldenseal if you choose). Hope you're consuming the parsley tea after it has cooled (more diuretic than warm, in my experience).

I also have had excellent results *overnight* with a vitamin C flush (10,000 mg/day) - I used the powdered form that is sold by Gary Null (the obnoxious but very knowledgeable health guru).

Hope your daughter is her well self again soon & you're both stronger & wiser for the experience.

Green blessings,
    Michelle (bushpoet)

• greengodess
    20 years ago

Cinzia.....if you were a man, I would tell you how much I love you. >:)

• kfgesq
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Cinzia, ditto as per green goddess! happy to say that she is cured!

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

"Dandelion will neutralize the low pH  if you will  of the body"

"neutralize the low pH"?? Please explain what you mean by this statement ... pH in blood plasma and various other body solutions is among the most tightly regulated variables in human physiology.

• deannainaz
    20 years ago

I used to have chronic bladder infections and later realized that I had 8 kidney stones, one lodged in my ureter. My bladder was never fully draining which lead to chronic infections. One thing that I'd like to say first is that it's hard to tell if it's a UTI, bladder or kidney infection...for me anyway. As soon as I realized I had any type of infection I already had blood in my urine.
    I would get temporary relief from antibiotics but as we all know, that causes other infections. **Cranberry juice contains a lot of sugar and that can sometimes make an infection worse.** My Dr always told me not to go out drinking and then come home and have sex because the sugar in the alcohol would make an infection more likely.
    ****The one thing that truly worked for me was an herb called UVA URSI. I believe it's bear grass but don't quote me on that. I would buy it in it's leaf form (not already crushed in a tea bag) put it in a tea ball and make my own tea. It tastes just horrible! But let me tell ya, it's really the only thing that gave me long term relief before passing the boulder in my ureter. Of course, no bubble baths or soaking in long hot baths..no jacuzzi's, etc.
    I'm not an herbalist by hobby or trade ..nor am I a doctor. Symptoms that make you think you have an infection, be it bladder, kidney or uti can really be a symptom of something more serious..like a stone.
    Good Luck.

• jcdb201a
    20 years ago

well said..kfgesq...True it needs to be treated by antibiotics,,but there are natural ones galore.Watching the intake of sugar in all products,it will bring on more misery than we can count on.juice that helps to heal with no sugar in it,( chicken soup) whether its cranberries- although i would be eating them straight out of the freezer.Oil of oregano is a powerful antibiotic-anti-fungal-antiseptic and on and on.One drop in her juice,a few times a day.One drop under the tongue.high amounts of vitamin C 3 times a day.If my daughter was under 18,this is the route i would take before submitting her to the medical establishments and all their crap.She is now finding out(she's 22) that they don't know all they think they know,and mom probaly can heal more.(PHYSICAN HEAL THYSELF, AND DO NO HARM) AND TOUCH OTHER LIVES WHEN WE CAN.

• Greenlady
    20 years ago

Wow, I came to this forum for an answer to this very question, and it was on the front page!! Thanks to all who answered.

• christiner
    20 years ago

What I am getting from this thread is: Everything you need to heal yourself is right in your back yard. Eat the Dandelions - they are there to help, not vex you. Make tea of your Kinnickinnick (uva ursi) and eat some cranberries, eat plenty of the Vitamin C rich fruit in your yard, try Oregon Grape Root tea and pardon my coarseness, but airing your parts in the Goddess given sunshine once in a while may help prevent getting the infection in the first place!

If it isn't actually, literally, broken, you are entirely capable of fixing it. Best of luck!

christine

• Cressida
    20 years ago

I'm surprised that no-one mentioned cranberry pills. I had problems with chronic UTIs for a few years after college and was on a constant "preventative" dose of Keflex, but I was still sick all the time. I was hanging out with one of my hippie friends one day when I was in more pain than usual and told her how I'd been on antibiotics for over a year and the look she gave me....well, let's just say she was almost comically horrified. Anyway, she insisted that I try cranberry pills. They helped, a lot, but since the problem was so severe at the time, I bought a womens' herbal book and tried a few other herbs, which have been mentioned here. One thing that was suggested, that felt absolutely lovely, was to boil cornsilk (I always used the same pot of water that I'd just used to boil the corn) and then remove the silk and pour the remaining water into a nice warm bath tub. It was so soothing.

It took time, but I got off the antibiotics almost immediately and started feeling some real relief with the herbal remedies. I haven't had a full blown infection in over five years. Someone else mentioned about all the sugar in cranberry juice. I couldn't even find straight cranberry juice, it was always "cranberry juice coctail," of which the main ingredient is apple juice. At least for me, it was useless. But the pills are great.

Some other good tips for UTIs, most of which you probably know, but it never hurts to be reminded:

*wear only 100% cotton underwear. Thongs are pretty much out of the question.
    *Don't wear tight pants
    *don't wear underwear to bed
    *shower AND pee before AND after sexual activity - it may not be terribly romantic, but neither is peeing blood. There aren't too many things that'll kill a libido faster than a bladder infection.
    *wipe front to back
    *drink water - if you're suffering now, or have frequent infections, drink nothing but water or herbal tea. And drink a lot. Fill up a big cup of water and carry it around with you, take it in the car, etc.
    *no caffeine
    *When you pee, after you're finished peeing, sit there for another minute or so with the muscles relaxed. Often, you'll be surprised that a few more drops will come down. This is a good thing.
    *I know the last poster was being silly, but s/he's exactly right about airing yourself out. This is probably TMI, but after I shower, I lay down on my bed and turn a fan on me and air dry for a few minutes. It's a lovely feeling, a great way to start the day, and it's good for me too.
    *lastly, those pre-moistened wipes are a godsend for women with heavy periods, young children, and/or UTIs.

Be well!

• chaman
    20 years ago

Consult your family Dr.
    Meanwhile continue on cranberry juce and dried cranberry fruits.

chiman

• babanna
    19 years ago

I have to say after reading this...you guys have strong opinions!!! That's fine just remember though if in pain or in a state of jeopardizing your body...go see a doctor. I work with a few doctors who also specialize in natural healing as well. You would be surprised who is out there these days. But sometimes you will need to be treated by an antibiotic! Why? Well namely because I sincerely doubt whether everyone is adept at collecting and properly dosing the natural ingredients for all things that they might need them for.
    and lastly...if your daughter takes baths....take a look at the soap product you are using and the amount of time she is exposing herself to the soap but staying in the water. Alot of young girls were suspect to UTI's when Mr. Bubble first came out.
    glad she is feeling better now. Best of luck and happy herbing everyone!

• carla
    19 years ago

When I have a bladder infection I always take cream of tarter and within 20 minutes everything is ok! 1 teaspoon of tarter mixed with one glass of water.....I'm glad she is doing ok, I know that it is very painful.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    19 years ago

Hi guys,
    Just wanted to jump back to something that herbalpower said earlier. Sorry it's a little off subject.
    I have looked at this forum a number of times as it is a subject that really intrestes me, but every time I have asked a question or replied to something I have been shot down, usually in a condisendending manner, or told to look it up.
    I realize that some of you are very knowledgable, but please lets try to be nice to each other, especially to those folks who come here and are not as knowledgable as you.
    Thanks,
    Catrina

• Stephanite
    19 years ago

Drinking Cranberry Juice once a week (or taking the pills) helps prevent bladder infections. But don't take matters into your own hands if you have an infection. Go see a doctor (medical or natural). Basically get someone that knows their stuff!!

A friend of mine was having problems from a bladder infection and went online and followed whatever was said on some site. The bladder infection spread to her kidneys and she ended up in the hospital for a couple of days.

What I'm saying is:

1) don't take matters into your own hands; seek proper advice
    2) don't believe everything you read

• tubsubman
    19 years ago

hi, dr. jonathan wright reccomends d-mannose to fix most bladder infections. tubsubman

http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/mannose.shtml

• gardengalrn
    19 years ago

Wow. I was just talking about sweeping generalizations in my email and I think it applies here. I'm a nurse by trade and a gardener by heart so I think I've seen the best/worst of both aspects. It's maddening to me when people come in with 2 page lists of the medications they are taking! As someone here said, side effects being medicated by yet more drugs. Let's not forget that when we are treating ourselves with our herbal remedies, those are medicines too. I've had one true bladder infection and it came up on me like a slap in the face. Very uncomfortable. I drank a lot of cranberry juice that first day and it really helped as far as the discomfort went. But I needed the antibiotics to clear it up. Lori

• tree_planter
    19 years ago

Kidney infections and UTI run in the family--seems to be a regular occurrence here particularly when the weather is hot. Myrrh, parsley, and cranberry pills usually do the trick quite quickly, though, and doctor visits over the kidneys and bladder have been rarely necessary since we dicovered this. Myrrh is very important because it is used to increase (multiply) the white blood cells in the body. It also kills bacteria. You may want to use yarrow also--another immune stimulant, which is used in addition to heal any mucous membranes (keep in mind that it is a strong clotting agent, though myrrh is mildly anti-clotting) Parsley is used to cleanse the system, which is actually quite important(you can subtitute dandelion and uva ursi). Cranberry only works if it is UNsweetened (not even natural sweeteners) so capsules are probably best. Marshmallow helps if there is scar tissue from a bad infection.

Then if all else fails, do see a doctor. If the infection is really bad, they are needed, in spite of their very real problem with nosiness.

• cacye
    19 years ago

I think you are right about not bothering with a doctor. I
    haven't been to one yet that finds out EXACTLY what bacteria
    causes the problem, most of them just give you cipro and
    get on with their lives. Most of my bladder infections have
    been due to yeast infections I got from eating too much
    sugary crap. Quit sugar filled foods and you will have
    fewer problems with bacteria in general. If you don't like
    cranberry juice, blueberry juice works just as well. You
    can also use ecinacea in adjunct with other treatments if
    the infection looks like its having more fun than you.
    black-eyed susans and other Rudbeckias work as well as
    Echinacea and can be used in a pinch if you have some in
    your yard. The fresh leaves are better than any dried product, use a lot and often. Some of the Rudbeckias will
    need to be strained for the irritating hairs before use
    as tea.

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

Cressia...your remark about the premoisten wipes...er...dont use them...read the ingreds...it may be causing your infections. Some alternative stores have baby wipes which are safer...I dont think any chemicals need be introduced through an opening to the body as it is very intrusive and potential side effects are at risk. Its like tampons or menstral pads whiten with bleach- chlorine bleach is one of the greatest dioxins in the world...why would you want to use a controversal product at the sake of possible side effects? There are many unbleached alternatives in most health or coop stores.

Also take a look at what you soak your body in at bath time. Read the ingredients and then look up all the ingredients on the internet under the government where each drug and its effects are listed. Educate yourself and be more responsible for what you are introducing to your body.

• bivalve18
    19 years ago

Hi:
    I just read the sting of responses regarding how to treat bladder infections. I have one now and am on antibiotics. This is my third infection in 6 years (about one every 2 years or so..)Ânot exactly chronic, but I have noticed that they get worse each time. The first one was mild and went away in a day, during the second I had some blood clots (sorry if this is gross), and when I got this last one, I never had any pain or ergency until I was already peeing copius quantities of blood and had large, painful clots.
    I have not gotten satisfying answers from my doctor about whether this "pattern" is normal. I am feeling better, but now I have aching and stiffness in my lower body that radiates down my legs. Does anyone know if this is a side-effect of the antibiotics (as sulfa-drug) or a sign of a bladder or other infection or maybe not related at all? I will try the remedies you recommended here, but also wondered if anyone has experienced something similar and may have more specific suggestions.
    Thanks!

• johnyb
    19 years ago

Did your doctor take a full blood test as part of treatment?

• jujubean74
    18 years ago

On the topic of antibiotics, Garlic anyone?

I think I read through this whole thread, and I don't think anyone mentioned it! It has no side-effects besides making you stinky, you can't take too much, and it's powerful. I would highly suggest anyone who suspects an infection of any sort get on high doeses ASAP, along with tons of water and vit c.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

While garlic is one of my favorite herbs (and may have anti-bacterial activity in certain situations), it is not totally innocuous. It can negatively interact with some drugs (including blood thinners and anti-cancer agents).

More here.

• citygirl71
    18 years ago

I am and 18 year old female, sexually active, and I have had a bladder infection for about 7-8 days now. There was initially blood in my pee, it had a strong odour and it HURTS TO PEE!!! I constantly feel like I have to go when I don't, making me loose a lot of sleep (who can sleep when they're bladder is ACHING to go!!??). What are some quick/easy fixes? At the point is it necessary that I go to the doctor?

• tressa
    18 years ago

Citygirl....please go to the doctor...you don't want to end up with an infection in your kidneys. In the meantime take some cranberry pills - they may help the pain.

• lucy
    18 years ago

kfgesq - just consider this... What if your daughter were to have some other problem either along with, as a result of, or even mimicking what you have 'diagnosed' as a bladder infection? What if it got worse internally without you're being aware of it? What if, by the time you decided she should have 'medical' help it was too late - or that the help then really did require something (i.e. surgery) that had 'side effects'? Apart from the fact you could even be in big trouble with the law for not having her seen at the beginning, what state of health would you be leaving her with at that point? How dare you perpetrate your nutty ideas on a child! You have every right to do what you want with your own body, but NOT with hers - she is not your 'property' but a person in her own right who has the right to the best care possible, and that's not found on some internet website!

• lucy
    18 years ago

Hi - I've sent you a private e-mail message.

• cacye
    18 years ago

On the subject of recurring bladder infections: the most
    recent research on Medscape tends to suggest that Mycoplasma
    infections may be becoming the new STD. These can cause
    chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Very Few GYN's
    test for this or know squat about it. We need to get our
    doctors to pay attention to research. Used to be they
    learned from the lay folk but now most of 'em think they're
    too good to do this. It is about time we got them back on track. See the LaCrosse, Wisconsin Study on Mycoplasmas for
    details.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

Physicians know that Chlamydia and Mycoplasma can be uncommon sources of bladder infections (special testing is done in cases where there are symptoms of bladder infection but standard cultures don't grow anything). Nothing new there.

As to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, there's been no conclusive link shown between either disorder and Mycoplasma. It's just one of a number of areas being studied.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bladder infections - diagnosis and treatment

• cebu_tropical
    17 years ago

take some ginger root and take skin off and cut up the ginger and put in pot of water and boil for about 20 minutes, cut off, and cover...let stay in pot all day to get strong , then warm and drink as many cups as you like per day, and you should see what the results.

• geckogirl
    17 years ago

I have used noni fruit leather. It is much more palatable than noni juice. I found it at kauaigoods.com. Hope this info helps...

• kiki281
    17 years ago

hi im a 19 year old female. In the beginning of september i got the strong urge to pee and it hurt alot at the end of each pee. i went to the town clinic and they gave me antibiotics to help me, they helped! but after i was done taking the pills about a week later it came back , and worse from the first one, so i decided to go to MY OWN doctor...he said it didn't fully go away so he put me on different antibiotics, and they worked better then the first, but it is now november 5th 06 and i think i have it again, well i know i have it again...exact same syptoms...im going crazy here..please help me, im scared!

• herbman
    17 years ago

I,ve just come across this link and would like to suggest Couch grass (Quich grass , Speargrass)it worked for my Daughter when antibiotics were failing.

• bj_bobbi_jo
    16 years ago

Blueberries and cranberries are soposed to have the ability to not allow and or unstick the bacteria in the uninary system from the walls and flush the bacteria out. I do not recommend drinking cranberry juice because it is high in sugars most of the time which can make infections harder to heal.

From what I have learned when we have candida in our bodies that can cause use to get bladder infections so detoxing from that also helps in not getting them.

I have also learned that the flower that grows by the 1000s all over the place called goldenrod acts as a diuretic and helps flush out the urinary system to get rid of the bacteria.

I have had tons of bladder infections. I find using the stuff I mentioned helps me. I know how miserable the UTI's/bladder infections can be.

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

There's good evidence that cranberry juice (and maybe blueberry juice) can help prevent bladder infections, but not cure them once the infection is established. Vitamin C can also help prevent infections (by acidifying the urine). Persistent symptoms mean antibiotics are probably necessary, to prevent more serious problems (i.e. a kidney infection).

Candida is blamed for everything under the sun but is not a typical cause of bladder infections (bacteria are usually the culprit).

• cacye
    16 years ago

One thing you might try for infections is neem and boron. Three pills each, neem leaf extract and (I use country life)boron. This is good for a number of infections. Also you might try oregon grape root. You can pick the stems and boil them a few minutes then simmer about 45 minutes to extract the berberine. A Chinese herb with berberine that works well for most infections is huang lien(this is a patent mixture. Follow the directions. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose, as this can make some things, like Chlamydia, worse if you try to do more). If your bladder infections are caused by candida, antibiotics will make them more prevalent. What do they smell like? Trichomonas infections smell bad, for instance. Antibiotic resistant bacteria are very common, and bacteria trade resistance across several different species. You might want to see a Chinese herbal practitioner for herbs specific to your body type and disorder.

• lwowk
    13 years ago

Cranberry juice is actually better red than white when treating bladder infections. Cranberries work to prevent the bacteria from adhering to the walls of the bladder so that they can be flushed from her system. Have her drink as much as possible both during the infection and for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear. It would be good to have her continue to drink cranberry juice on a regualr basis as a preventative as well.

Be sure to check that it is 100% juice and is mostly if not all cranberry. I don't know how old she is but if she can swallow tablets you can buy cranberry tablets for her to take as well.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I need to do the "two weeks after" for my own recurring UTI.

For the record, i'm not young, but I continue to have recurring bladder infections and this should be serious,right? One particularly nasty episode I fought with the usual increased water intake, cranberry juice (and probably a little turmeric). It was persistent. I continued with home treatment while I waited for an appointment with the doc a week later. He ran the tests. Zero infection. Nada problems. I hope that helps with some credibility on herbal control for bladder infection for someone without other underlying health problems.

It works. But I need PREVENTATIVE MEASURES through lifestyle changes and to continue treatment well after the infection seems to have disappeared. I simply don't drink enough water.

If these changes don't work, I'll see the doc about potential underlying issues. But I continue to have success with these home remedies.

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

Drinking cranberry juice might be helpful in controlling UTIs. Taking cranberry supplement pills probably won't be.

âÂÂThere is an active ingredient in cranberries that can prevent adherence of bacteria to the bladder wall, particularly E. coli,â says urologist Courtenay Moore, MD. âÂÂBut most of the studies have shown that juice and supplements donâÂÂt have enough of this active ingredient, A-type proanthocyanidins (PACs), to prevent bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract.âÂÂ

Overall, clinical studies on the efficacy of cranberry juices and extracts for the prevention of UTIs are conflicting.

In 2012, the Cochrane Data Base identified 24 studies comparing cranberry products (juice or extracts) to control or alternative treatments. The review found that compared with placebo, cranberry products did not significantly reduce the occurrence of UTIs. The effectiveness of cranberry was not significantly different to antibiotics for women.

Also, because supplements are not regulated by the FDA, it is not known how much of the active ingredient each product contains. Therefore, many of the products may not have enough of the active ingredient to be effective in preventing bacterial adherence to the bladder wall."

I drink a concentrated cranberry juice (much stronger than the usual bottled cranberry cocktail), although not for UTI prevention. I don't know what its PAC content is, though it's likely significantly higher than in cranberry juice cocktail mixes.

Here is a link that might be useful: cranberry juice and UTIs

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

And here I am again five months later. I saw the practitioner today because I have a serious kidney infection. What I wrote before was true. For some reason it returned with a vengeance and nothing would stop the spread while i sufficiently hindered the bladder infection. I think it staved off fever and serious illness until now:

Juice of 1 lemon
    1tbsp honey
    1tsp turmeric
    1tsp baking soda
    in 8oz water

I only did this once a day. Looking back, I probably should have dosed myself with turmeric and garlic 2-3 times a day in addition. I did increase my water intake. At present, I carry a gallon of water around with me. lol

She found "a little" protein in the quick urinalysis but absolutely demanded I not miss a dose of the antibiotic (levaquin) and that I swear to return in three weeks to check if it is gone and to have additional tests run.

We are both worried about kidney damage. I advise people to be cautious or honest with themselves.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions