Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antaean

general health

antaean
14 years ago

Iv been feeling pretty run down lately and tired a lot and i just feel the need too build my immune system up too help fight off some of these bugs and flu's that are going around.

I am a firm believer in things like garlic for well being but iv come across another supplement that online says that it is good for you health and that is hemp seed oil.

I am not sure if its safe to have garlic and hemp at the same time i usually have 500mg of garlic.

My main worry is that iv been on contact with some one that caught swine flu. I just want too keep stuff like that away.

I will be starting college in a couple of months time and i more then likely would pick flu up there too i figured if i build my defenses up and my health too then maybe i wont get it and if i do it wont be as bad.

I honestly believe that garlic will fight off most things. I have used it from colds too gum infections and ear infections and it has not let me down.

Comments (9)

• apollog
    14 years ago

As far as I know, hemp seed oil is mainly of interest for its n-3 fatty acids (ALA, GLA). May be helpful in some conditions, but there are other sources of various fatty acids.

I am not aware of any reason to avoid both garlic and hemp seed oil in the diet. Many people eat a clove of garlic each day, and they don't usually worry about whether they are also eating corn oil, olive oil, or hemp seed oil.

As to the flu, not sure that garlic will be all that effective, but no reason not to take it. Sanitation, and a fall vaccine are your best shots at avoiding or reducing the swine flu.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Iv been feeling pretty run down lately and tired a lot and i just feel the need too build my immune system up too help fight off some of these bugs and flu's that are going around.

Check your lifestyle before you start looking for the magic bean or magic garlic clove to make you all better:

1 - Get more rest. A regular 8-10 hours of sleep a night does wonders for that run-down feeling.

2 - Get more exercise. A brisk 1/2 hour walk 3 or more times a week, preferably in sunlight, will stimulate your appetite, stimulate ciorculation and make you feel better.

3 - Eat more fruits and vegetables, less sweets and fatty foods.

Same advice docs have been giving out for decades: improve the lifestyle.

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

Good advice from lazygardens.

And also from apollog with regard to taking advantage of a swine flu vaccine if one is made available, and also sanitation (assuming he means things like handwashing and not sanitary sewer system upgrades).

Of course colleges tend to throw together a large group of people from different parts of the country (or world) and increase chances of disease outbreaks, so it makes sense to keep up on recommended vaccines, live as healthy a lifestyle as possible and avoid unnecessary exposure to crowds.

• apollog
    14 years ago

>> (assuming he means things like handwashing and not sanitary sewer system upgrades).

LOL - I don't really know about other people's plumbing, so I can't say much about that. In general, I was referring to washing the hands, refraining from touching the eyes, nose or mouth with ones hands, ... call it hygiene if that makes it clearer.

(I have a background in food service sanitation from a previous life, and in that context, sanitation includes teaching food service workers that they should wash their hands, and they should not sneeze on the food.)

• goshen
    14 years ago

Glad you have common sense as well opollog. Have you ever noticed in a public restroom. With a big sign saying to wash hands before going back to work. hardly anyone does.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

Take a course on Logic, everyone should, and it will help you cut through the cloud of bad information from vendors. Pay special attention to informal logical fallacies.

The H1N1 swine flu is going to have the same symptoms as a regular flu, and a very similar mortality rate, People not from mexico seem to have had no problem with it, but nothing beats a flushot for avoiding the flu.

A bit of advice before you go of to school, the Freshmen 15 is typically from beer, and keep your room clean, kids with dirty rooms have less fun at college.

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

"...kids with dirty rooms have less fun at college."

Alright, so now you're saying no one has fun at college? We need to see citations for this claim. :)

I sort of agree with the idea of a course on logic, though it might be too late for some once they're adults and patterns of thinking have hardened. I wish there could be a course on critical thinking no later than high school. Students could learn about fallacies of argumentation (ad hominems, tu quoques and the rest), how to gauge the quality of scientific (and unscientific) evidence, and develop a sense for when politicians and commercial hucksters are lying to us.

If we could do that, pass along good reading and writing skills and a better appreciation of history, we'd turn out vastly better educated graduates who are able to tackle real-world situations.

• apollog
    14 years ago

Meditation or some form of stress control might be helpful, along with time management skills (sometimes offered in 'College 101' classes, but that is more like an orientation or discussion about the idea of stress control, not much real stress control per se). Thinking back to college, sleep deprivation and stress were not so healthy.

• goshen
    14 years ago

LOL!!!!!!!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions