Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ephedra and Poisoning

Posted by dunnyveg Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 13:21

I'm lucky enough to have ephedra (of unknown species) growing wild in profusion on my property. I have yet to find any good information on harvesting these stems. I came across one website that advised not to use the nodes (where the micro-leaves are located up and down the stems) on the green stems (the part that is ostensibly harvested) as they are toxic. But this doesn't seem right as the green stems have very short internodes. Can anybody advise on the safety aspects of harvesting Mormon tea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ephedra and Poisoning

According to my information:

The tops of the branches may be picked and dried at any time as long as the plant is not denuded or the branches cut back past the viable buds. Place stems in a brown paper bag and keep in a hot place, either in the sun or near a heater, until dry.

Warning: Avoid when pregnant or breast-feeding. Excessive doses can be fatal. Less severe effects include high blood pressure, racing of the heart, confusion, nervous stupor, twitching and convulsions, anxiety, insomnia, vomiting, urinary problems. Avoid if suffering from high blood pressure, insomnia, diabetes, thyroid problems, prostate problems, depression, hyperthyroidism or glaucoma, or if taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Prolonged usage (less than 3 months) may lead to addiction. Use with caution if driving or operating machinery. Do not take Ephedra with other stimulants, including caffeine. Never administer to children under the age of 18. Keep out of reach of children.

I have a feeling you might be confusing Ephedra with Horsetail, the stems of which can be poisonous. It is advised that children, who are particularly vulnerable, do not touch the stems of Horsetail.

I would advise that you don't use this plant at all until you have 100% certainty of its identity and safety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here