Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistressoflocksley

Lavender Tea

mistressoflocksley
15 years ago

We have two Provence lavender plants in bloom right now. I looked all over the internet for a lavender tea recipe, but it wasn't very helpful. So I tried a few lavender heads, mint leaves and a sprig of rosemary and twisted it up in a coffee filter and let it steep in boiling water for a few minutes. It was a little off.

Does anyone have any lavender tea recipes?

PS

Should I put the whole lavender spike in the tea bag, like I did, or just the flowers? Leaves?

- MOL

Comments (7)

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Hi Mo Lady,I've a large province lavender plant blooming right now also that i need to harvest again. I beleive you are supposed to pick flowers before they are completely open for best results.but i want to try some fully open also.

To make an herb tea bring a pot of water to a boil, than pourit over the tea herbs and steep for 5 to to 10 minutes. As a rule of thumb, use 1 heaping teaspoon of herb for each cup of water. Remember dried herbs are almost always stronger than fresh(lavender, rosemary, and mints are stronger dried)

To make tea for a crowd, try preparing a concentrate ahead of time. Pour a quart of boiling water over 2/3 cup ofloose dried herbs cover and let stand for 10 minutes, than stir and strain into a clean pot or pitcher. To serve, pour about 2 teaspoons of concentrate into each serving cup and fill with hot water. This concentrate is also good for making ice tea.
    Will keep in frig for several days. To use add a few tablespoons of concentrate into a glass and fill with ice and water.
    A suggestion in my book is to add some flowers in a sugar cookie recipe.
    The recipes came from "Taylors Guide to Herbs"1995 BY Houghton Miffin Company NY,NY.

I like the idea of a coffee filter. Wonder if they could be cut into halves or thirds.and still do the job.

For tea i'd use only flowers and leaves, for sachets the stems are ok. I'll warn you i think they taste bitter. I wont insult your inteligence by asking if you know about the uses and stuff about lavender, because i can see you have researced it. If you have any questions ask away. Have fun with finding the brew you like.
    vickie

• mistressoflocksley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Vickie. As I write this it is too late in the season for me to collect lavender, but next time around, I'll try your suggestions.

-MOL

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

Provence lavender is a lavendin variety. The lavendins tend to be a little more camphor-y in taste. Try an English lavender such as Hidcote or Munstead for culinary purposes. Also, a little lavender goes a very long way. Enjoy your herbal pursuits!!

• darlene87
    15 years ago

I have a lavander book, "Growing Lavender and Community on the Sequim Prairie: A how to and history, with projects and recipes. For tea: You can drink a tea made from straight lavender blossoms steeped in boiling water, or add citrus herbs like lemon verbena, or lemon balm, minty herbs, herbs like rosemary or thyme, spices like cloves and cinnamon, or whatever you wish. Or you can start with bulk green tea or black tea, or orange pekoe tea, add your own dried lavender blossoms to it. Use a teaball. That is all it says, does not say which stage of the blossom you should use, or the variety.
    Darlene

• dogpaws_2008
    15 years ago

I've made teas with 1 tsp. of dried lavender flowers to a cup of water and added a bit of honey. Sometimes I'll add the lavender flowers along with chamomile flowers. I find this to be a very calming, soothing combination.

• cabrita
    15 years ago

I have some lavender growing too (it was here, I did not plant it) and I always loved the scent. I thought I would try making a tea since I had read about it and I had a lot the lavender flowers opening up. I used just the lavender flowers, I wanted to taste it without other ingredients. I just used boiling water poured on lavender flowers in a tea pot. I did not care for the flavor at all. Perhaps I made it too strong? or simply it is not my thing? On the other hand, I have been enjoying the teas I make with my spearmint and the lemon verbena, very nice.

• sharondval_aol_com
    15 years ago

I have a book with Lavender Recipes which includes pictures. From the book the flower buds are supposed to be "fresh" and "young" taken after "all morning dew has dried." You should probably harvest them when they have good color and just before they open. I also agree with staying away from those high in camphory compounds and stick to a good sweet true Lavender.

Here is a link that might be useful: everything-lavender.com