Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azcactus_gw

uses of patchoulli leaves

azcactus
15 years ago

I have a patchoulli plant and I've wondered if there are any uses for the leaves. I love the smell of the leaves and would like to see what I can do with them?

Comments (3)

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Hi azcactus, Wonder what state you live in? LOL
    I did'nt find out much about patchoulli. I've not heard of it and am really curious. one description said it had an earthy smell. The other said it smelled like oranges. Which is yours? It's used as a fixative in perfumes and in aromatherapy for baths and toiletries. Appearently it makes you feel good to smell it as you mentioned. Any thing that can cheer me up by simply smelling it sounds good to me.

Maybe someone else knows more about it. I hope so, so i can find out also. Guess it would'nt grow in a wet climate.
    oakleif

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Could someone could address this question besides me? It might be nice for azcactus.

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

Patchouli Pogostemon cablin is a genus of about 70 species occurring in India and Malaysia. It can grow to 3' by 3' and likes rich, moist soil with high humidity and high heat with a minimum temperature of 65 degrees, zones 10-11. It can be propagated by seed or green wood cuttings.

It has been used in India to scent clothing by putting it into containers and areas where clothing is stored. And I remember reading that it can be used as a deterrent to months and insects.

It has been made into an oil which is used in some countries to prevent the spread of infection. It is also used as an astringent, antiseptic, and a warming herb with a pervasive order. Also it is used as a diuretic, to lower temperatures, improve digestion, controls vomiting and is supposed to help with the nervous system.

It is used in potpourris, perfumes, toiletries, cosmetics, breath fresheners and incense. The incense was used widely during the 1960's and 1970's to hide the smell of marijuana. It is also used in insecticides and disinfectants. And it is said to be an aphrodisiac.

Check here for more information: Patchouli.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions