Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St. John's Wort

Posted by Virginia_Fern z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 19:07

This is the first year I'm growing St. John's Wort, and would like to make a tincture. I fear though that I've waited a bit too long. Some of the flowers on each clump are past their peak and turning brown, though not all. Can I still make a tincture with them?

Also, the whole plant itself is getting rather leggy. Is it okay to trim it back several inches from the ground? Will it grow out and bloom again this summer?

Thanks for your help!

Fern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St. John's Wort

First off, make positve ID on which St. John's Wort you have. If it is indeed Hypericum perforatum (small leaves, hold up to light, look for tiny black spots) it is not to late to tincutre the top 8-10". I have done it once, have enough to do it again this week and once more, then I will cut them back to about 2 foot tall and hope for a late flush of flower again. A few inches tall would probably be too severe of a trimming this time of year.
Hope this covers the questions, and enjoy! Lynn

o

Thanks Lynn! Mine does have the tiny black spots, and this evening I cut off a bunch of it and am ready to make some tincture.

What all do you use the SJW tincture for?

Fern

o

Very cool. Glad you have the right variety, as it makes superb medicine!
I use tincture when I'm feeling "blue". A week or two of dosing, and i'm not feelin' so much like Eeyore.
The oil makes an excellent medicine to rub on sore backs. Specifiaclly used for sciatica neve pain, and heck, you ever known a gardener that didn't get a sore back? Also used to treat wounds & burns including sunburn. I include SJW oil in my gardeners hand salve.
Enjoy! Lynn

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbalgram on SJW

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here