Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbyo_gw

Agrimony Tea

DebbyO
19 years ago

Has anyone ever made, or tried Agrimony/Joe Pye weed tea? I have heard it is good; having a flavor similar to apricot. I planted some in my yeard this year and it is in the flowering stage at this time. Can I use all parts of the plant to make the tea, or just the leaves/foilage?

Thanks,

Deb

Comments (12)

• Herbalynn
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Agrimony and Joe Pye are two different plants. Please clarify. Lynn

• Herbalynn
    19 years ago

If it is Agrimony, all parts of plant (except stem) cna be used for tea. Here's a linK:

Here is a link that might be useful: Altnature on Agrimony

• DebbyO
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I will try to post a pic real soon, so you can see what it looks like. In one of my herb books, Agrimony and Joe
    Pye weed are named and listed as the same thing.
    They are listed in the Eupatorium family, but I noticed there are a few kinds listed that are not ideal for consumption. So, hence the confusion!

Thanks,

Deb

• Daisyduckworth
    19 years ago

Oh dear! When it comes to herbs, having only half the story (or half the name!) can be worse than having no information at all!! And sometimes dangerous, too.

Here are three herbs with the term 'eupatoria' or 'eupatorium' in their botanical names. There are many others, and each has its own list of medicinal purposes. I have given you information on how to make the teas for each I've mentioned, and their respective medicinal uses. It's Agrimony which makes the apricot flavoured tea, but like all herbal teas, it should not be used as a beverage - it's a medicine. I use it mainly for minor urinary tract infections.

Agrimony (Agrimonia eupatoria): Pour 1 cup boiling water over 1 teaspoon dried leaves, flowers or roots, steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain. Take 1-2 tablespoons every 4-6 hours. Tincture: Take 1/4-1/2 teaspoon at a time. Medicinal uses: An infusion of the leaves is used to treat coughs, sore throat, ulcers, conjunctivitis, diarrhoea, vaginal discharges, excessive menstrual bleeding and bleeding from any part of the body, skin problems jaundice, hepatitis and other liver problems. It also acts as a diuretic. The roots and whole plant are boiled in milk to be used for diabetes and any attendant incontinence problems. A tea from the immature cockleburrs is drunk to soothe coughs and sore throat. Externally used to treat tinea, acne, sores, slow-healing wounds and insect bites. Useful in cases of anaemia, and a digestive tonic for the elderly and the debilitated. As a mouthwash, it is used to help remove tartar from the teeth. Often used to draw out thorns and splinters. Soak the area in the infusion for 30 minutes and the splinter should press out easily. A weak tea used as eyewash for burning, itchy eyes, conjunctivitis and blepharitis. A poultice of the leaves is used for migraines. A gargle is used by singers and speakers before a performance. Once used to treat leucorrhoea and gonorrhoea.

Boneset (Eupatorium perfoliatum):Steep 1 teaspoon leaves in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drink while warm to produce sweating and gentle vomiting. For a stronger dose, boil together 30g plant and 2.5 litres water, until liquid is reduced to 600ml. Take 125ml in 600ml of water to produce instant vomiting. All parts of the plant are used. A cold infusion has tonic properties and is mildly laxative. A warm infusion if used to treat fever and symptoms of colds and flu. Especially used in treating night-sweats. It is used to treat arthritis and minor viral and bacterial infections.

Sweet Joe Pye (Eupatorium purpureum): : Put 1 teaspoonful of the herb in a cup of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Take three times a day. Tincture: Take 1-2 ml three times a day. An infusion of the leaves, or a decoction of the root, is used to treat urinary tract problems, including kidney stones, prostate enlargement, rheumatism, constipation, coughs, chest ailments, fever, and gout. It may also reduce cravings for nicotine.

• DebbyO
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow thanks again Daisy DW,.... you are very informed,.. and that is great for me,... a novice at these sorts of things. I am very leary of making teas from anything I am not 100% sure and comfortable about,... which is basically just comprises the mint family at this point! ;o)

I am pretty sure I have the Sweet Pye Weed - E. Purpureum.
    I thought the sound of it tasting like apricots was appetizing, but if you say it is not really intended for that purpose, I will take your advice seriously.

Thanks again,

Deb

• DebbyO
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Daisy DW,

Here is a pic of my Agrimony/Joe Pye Weed. Maybe you can help me pin it down, to exactly which one it is in the family. A gourd plant has entangled itself around it on the right. They seem to be romantically involved,... so I didn't separate the two just yet,.... lol ;o)

Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:61560}}

• Daisyduckworth
    19 years ago

I have never seen Sweet Joe Pye, but it does have pinkish purple flowers like the one in your pic. It smells a bit like vanilla. Agrimony has yellow flower spikes, and the plant smells like apricots. It's often called Cocklebur, because of the seed capsules which are burrs with hooked bristles which can be a nuisance attaching themselves to pet fur and clothing. If you have the slightest doubt as to the identity of your plant, don't use it at all until it is properly identified by a professional person.

• willowherb
    19 years ago

Small Flowered Willow-herb has been used for years in Europe for the treatment of Prostate Disease which includes Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Prostatitis (usually a bacterial infection of the prostate) and Prostate Cancer. The popularity of Small Flowered Willow-herb can be in large part be attributed to word of mouth. That fact that Small Flowered Willow-herb grows wild and is common in many parts of the world makes is relatively inexpensive to produce. This is good for the consumer but does not provide a profit incentive for a large scale scientific study. However, many small studies have been completed with excellent results for the treatment of prostate disease.

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)/ Enlarged Prostate appears to stem from age-related changes in the hormone balance that usually begin after the age of 40. Testosterone levels in the blood decrease, while other hormone levels rise; the net effect is the increase of a testosterone derivative called "dihydrotestosterone" that stimulates cell growth in the prostate. The resulting enlarged Prostate interferers with the proper functioning of the Urethra.

Does Small Flowered Willow-herb Work?

Many studies have been completed which showed Small Flowered Willow-herb can reduce prostate size, reduce inflammation, relieve prostatitis and improve sexual function.

European scientists proved that Small Flowered Willow-herb Extract lowers dihydrotestosterone level in the prostate. Which is also what more widely studied prescription drugs such as finasteride do.

A German 3 year-study found that taking 160 mg of Small Flowered Willow-herb extract twice daily reduced nighttime urination in 73% of patients and improved urinary flow rates. In a double-blind trial, 160 mg of Small Flowered Willow-herb extract taken twice daily was found to treat BPH as effectively as finasteride (Proscar) without side effects.

There has been more than 16 studies in recent years which show Small Flowered Willow-herb to be effective in the treatment of Prostate Disease.

YES, Small Flowered Willow-herb works!!!

While doctors and researchers agree that Small Flowered Willow-herb extract is a very powerful healer of prostate problems, scientists have began to focus their attention on combining Small Flowered Willow-herb extract with other powerful healing herbs to enhance treatment of Prostate Disease.

For the natural treatment of Prostate Disease, Small Flowered Willow-herb Extract is one of the most documented for the successful treatment of the Prostate. However, other supplements such as Saw Palmetto, Pygeum extract, Nettle extract and Lycopene have also shown to have benefits for the prostate.
    Prostate Disease can be complex and have multiple contributing factors aggravating the condition. Be sure to work with you doctor to properly diagnosis your condition and to take appropriate action for a healthy prostate. To get the best treatment for your prostate you must be able to ask good questions and supply meaningful answers. Take charge, educate yourself to improve your health and quality of your life.
    Where to get the small flowered willow herb tea, or the extract? I recommend this website. I have purchased tea from these people for the last 3 years. They are very customer-friendly, and very helpful with their information. Their product is organic and very high quality. Plus, this is one of the few places that it is available in the US. In Europe, it is the most widely used remedy for prostate problems. Maria Treben, in her bestseller, "Health Through God's Pharmacy," writes about her experiences with it for the prostate. This is what she used exclusively with all her patients with prostate ailments. She got results. By the way, you can get her bestselling book (12 million sold throughout the world), from the same folks at the website above. I hope this information is of help to you. As Maria Treben has said, "There is an herb for every ailment!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Flowered Willow Herb

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

Not sure what the last message has to do with agrimony tea.

Neither the poster (who just registered on GW today and immediately has begun promoting a particular website's product) nor the site itself have supplied any objective data showing that this supplement has a significant beneficial effect on symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate.

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

Yeah, sellers come on here all the time...Spike always get's 'em! :o)

• vquinn
    19 years ago

I read in a book that agrimony tea can be helpful with allergy symptoms. Is this true? For the last couple of days my allergies have been going crazy and I'd like to find a natural remedy instead of a prescription or over-the-counter drug. My symptoms are runny nose, clogged sinuses and watery eyes. If anybody has a suggestion I would be very grateful.

• franc
    19 years ago

Debbie, Joe Pye weed is very common in Indiana,that maybe why its called a weed.Its different than Agrimony.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions